ICC updates

Major change - Support for serial connections -  I was waiting for that . :) 

Otherwise  prettier , More BMV functions added , automatic update  from what I could notice  but no double posting to EmonCMS.org and local emoncms yet . I am partly to blame to keep him busy as I pushed for the double posting as I have 3 inverters and There Was no way EMONCMS.ORG could do virtual feeds to calculate system losses   but I could not open ports for day to day use So  I needed the Website posting also . 

With current changes in My Opinion ICC is the best software out there - And yes I own  and have used all well known softwares for Axpert ( lucibus, Solarmon,Solar patrol,)

I like, I like....a provisional hats off to Manie.

But just a question regarding upgrading....vs new install. Many of us ICC'ers have lots of data we would like to preserve.

The Install.txt file describes a fresh install. I would think that most people would not want to do that, as they may loose their history information. Yes, some of it may be PVoutput'ed, but not everybody use this facility.

Previously, (upgrading from 0.9 to 1.1.3) I simply made a backup of the Solar.db file (for in case), and replaced the ICC file with the new one and restart.

Is 2.0 capable of doing the same, as I read that more BMV values are now available, which, in my mind, means the database needs to be expanded to log these new values (and other ones, for that matter). So, I recon that old Solar.db is not compatible with the new Solar.db, because of these extra fields.

What exactly would the process be to upgrade? i.e. not a fresh installation.

BTW, after looking at my Input tables in EMONCMS, I see many items that says either inactive (feed to log), inactive (ERROR) . Likewise, under Feeds, I have many items that show Inactive or n/a with values either 0  (which is normal, because I only have 1 inverter), NaN or with values. This I haven't been able to figure out. So maybe a fresh install will solve/improve this.

Hate to loose my stats, though!? 

I see that iccsoftware shop now has a $11 dollar option for what it calls "ICC-PI version 1 Upgrade". I assume this is payable in order to pay for the upgraded version 2? Would be nice if the version of each different software option is clearly marked. If you don't differentiate, you end up with a file called ICC(4) in your download folder, if you started with 0.9, as I did. I renamed mine to the correct version each time. Easy to get them mixed up!

After @Chris Hobson's earlier post that ICC-Pi Ver 2 had been released I noticed on Friday that it was available for purchase on the ICC Software website for a measly $11. @Manie is certainly making it available at a very low price and I believe users are being treated very fairly. After purchasing and installing it, I noticed a bug with one of the graphs and brought it to Manie's attention. He sure is an expert programmer because about 30 minutes later he had it humming on my Pi with remote control access to my Win10 PC and using RealVNC viewer to access the Pi. Upgrade is now a matter of clicking on a button on the screen although I initially just copied the ICC executable to the ICC folder on my Pi after making a backup on advice from Manie and that worked fine.

I am very pleased with the upgrade as screens are more attractive but more importantly, valuable information is now displayed. Other new features have been mentioned in earlier posts above. The changes Manie made also resulted in the version changing to 2.0.5 so I guess the answer to @ghatikar 's question above is probably bug fixes to a large extent. @Chris Hobson asked what is new so Chris I think you will be pleased with the information displayed on the two screenshots below. Altogether a small amount of money well spent as far as I am concerned.

ICC-PiV2-2.thumb.jpg.6f37e436e2992e9c9f31ca49abbc7dc0.jpg

ICC-PiV2-1.thumb.jpg.ba7481a9c7e959fd854826c6252bdc3f.jpg

So I was curious, seeing 2.0.5 appeared yesterday. So I checked this morning, and ICC 2.0.4 reported that 2.0.6 is available. So Manie either doesn't sleep, or doesn't enjoy weekends of leisure!

So I hit the "Upgrade" button. (Previously, downloaded and installed ICC manually)

The progress bar to the right steadily crept from 0 and eventually stopped at "98 from [0-100](99%).

I SSH'ed into the Pi, and a two new files appeared. 

1) ICC.bak, which is your old ICC's backup (in case you want to roll back)

2) ICC.Upgrade The new file.

If you were VNC'ed into the Pi, you would have seen the terminal window spitting out errors. Firstly, a "ICC file not found" type of error.

This can quickly be fixed by issuing command "cp ICC.Upgrade ICC"

Then my terminal window started complaining something about "permissions"

To fix this I typed "sudo chmod 755 ICC" (these instructions are in the original install text file in the zip file)

Bobs you uncle, IC started up automatically and 2.0.6 was alive.

3 hours ago, fritserasmus said:

SunnyBoy inverter

Doubt it. The GTI? I believe that thing speaks SunSpec, either on modbus RTU (serial cable) or modbus-tcp (ethernet), depending on what interface you have.

On 2017-5-25 at 9:47 AM, fritserasmus said:

Does any person have a list of all the inverters ICC can monitor?

Like : will it monitor the SunnyBoy inverter - NON connected to a battery bank?

http://www.sma.de/en/products/solarinverters/sunny-boy-30-36-40-50.html

sma is not supported i think...maybe if its connected viausb and you have communication manual...its possible...

1 hour ago, kg666 said:

sma is not supported i think...maybe if its connected viausb and you have communication manual...its possible...

Some info here and here. Depends on the age of the inverter. The new ones do sunspec over modbus. There is also a bluetooth protocol but I have no idea how that works.

If you implement sunspec, it will end up working with more inverters than just the SMA, for example, Fronius.

I would assume that any kind of USB cable will be a RS485-usb cable, so the problem remains the same.

However you look at it, the Sunnyboy is completely different and a far cry from repeatedly throwing QPIGS over a simple serial link :-)

Upgraded to 2.0.7 this morning. This version was specially build to accommodate the Infinisolar V 5kW Dual MPPT Inverter - and hopefully other Inifini's with dual MPPT's. Working perfectly in all respects. Thanks Manie for such excellent service!

As per @kg666, if you are using the emoncms graphs etc, please update all node1 to node0. Just add from the Input page to your feeds page. Then updated each element. 

Frits,
If you look under icc settings, there is a dropdown for Inverter selection. You need to STOP ICC.., then the dropdown will become active. It will show the list of inverters supported. 

Thanks@sidewinder
I knew there was a list but did not know I just had to stop ICC.
Thanks

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Upgraded to 2.0.7 this morning. This version was specially build to accommodate the Infinisolar V 5kW Dual MPPT Inverter - and hopefully other Inifini's with dual MPPT's. Working perfectly in all respects. Thanks Manie for such excellent service!

As per @kg666, if you are using the emoncms graphs etc, please update all node1 to node0. Just add from the Input page to your feeds page. Then updated each element. 

its ok, i changed in ICC to my old node...else i loses all my daily/montly values...

and i had to change my emon dash again (values)

its working perfect now .with the new bmv values in emon ;) iam happy like a little child...lol

next could be a victron inverter ,maybe running two diff. inverter values in one program, now you can select one inveter to read out..maybe next update you can select a main inverter and a second (victron) one...lol..because my setup will be pip4048msd and a "little" victron 150/35 inverter working on the same batt.pack

• 2 weeks later...

So 2 further upgrades appeared. A few days ago V2.0.9 appeared and yesterday (may earlier) V2.1.0.

So hit the upgrade button and left it alone. ICC restarted all by itself (an improvement!) 

So now ICC tells me I'm running the latest, yet displays ver 2.0.7 bottom left of the Dashboard screen.

If I look at my ICC folder, I can't see the new version files anywhere.

Anyone else experience this?

So I had another look. 

New files that appeared are: (dated the time of upgrade)

heap.trc size=0

restart.txt size=11898601

Not 100% sure what these are for.

Also 5 new directories appeared, nl. W32APLHA, W32MIPS,W32PPC,W32X86 & x64, dated Jan 8 ?

All sorted now. I did it slightly different this time.

Normally you don't want to tamper/upgrade a file that is currently running. So i killed the ICC process. Clicked the upgrade button.

This time a new ICC file appeared. Then "sudo chmod 755 ICC" again, to set the permission correct, and ICC started automatically with V2.1.0