Batteries Faulty - How to bypass charging

djacobs

1 minute ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Do NOT use them batteries. Somewhere on the forum I posted a picture of a UPS blown to pieces, because the batts exploded.

Yup, someone else (I forgot who) also posted a picture of a melted battery, one of those Silver Calcium jobbies that had thermal runaway.

Side note: If you don't have a bypass switch installed... now you know why that was a bad idea :-)

if times are tough and you want to keep the system going then rather get some small bats even 7ah gate motor bats just to trick the system into working . you will have very little backup but you can still run on solar if you change your settings . I've heard bats blow-up and its not pleasant

cheers

1 minute ago, maxomill said:

get some small bats even 7ah gate motor bats

With the SCC's tendency to overshoot? I wouldn't do that even with more expensive kit. Even my blue controllers sometimes overshoots when there is cloud-edge going on. Though I've never seen more than 29.2V, that's 0.4V over, on a battery that's 20 times larger. No ways would I do this... except if the object was to blow sh*t up! :-)

On 9/15/2017 at 11:09 AM, plonkster said:

... except if the object was to blow sh*t up! :-)

Now you go me interested ... what are we blowing up next? :D

Who is going to try the 7ah batts? Put them in a acid resistant holder and lets see what happens!!!

Seriously, @maxomill, a suggestion is to go battery shops / battery recycling places and beg / plead with them for 2nd hand batts that still works.

People have UPS'es and sometimes 1 batt fails, leaving the rest of the bank still working. You probably will pay the lead price per kg for them, about R8-R9 per kg.

Note: When you do this, always feel the batt temps during charging to see if one does not overheat.

I burnt the living dinges out of my thumb when I touched a pole on a battery that was shorting whilst the inverter was powering a 300w load.

5 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Seriously, @maxomill, a suggestion is to go battery shops / battery recycling places and beg / plead with them for 2nd hand batts that still works.

Dream on.  Been trying this approach for about 2 yrs.  These guys know the value of batteries, and will rather "recon" the half good batteries then resell them as 80% good for R 800 to R 1000 each.

I sent my 4 x T1275"s to a place to try and recover them, but the guy says they are totally poked, no chance.  Fortunately, he didn't charge me, even though he quoted R 50 per batt if it doesn't work, due to his electricity usage.  I think he's offering me R 7/kg, must still go round and negotiate for replacements.

10 hours ago, maxomill said:

before you go all out

Oh I agree, wasn't targeted at you personally, juts more of a general observation. In principle I agree with you, one can band-aid things with a collection of smaller batteries, but I suspect the Axpert's can't be set to charge lower than 2 amps, which already sort of tells you to look i the 20ah range. Gotta hash out all the details as you say.