Coulomb

Axpert 5 kVA patched firmware 72.70c

1 hour ago, ebrsa said:

Has anyone upgraded to 72.70c firmware yet and what was your experience with it. I am hoping to upgrade later today.

Yip, i've been using it for almost a week and it seems to be working great. I do have one issue but i'm starting to think its not related to the firmware.... I'm still investigating on my side, i suspect the ICC software has a bug. 

I just upgraded and all seems fine. Had a fright when Reflash crashed. Device manager picked up COM2 which worked in the past but could be the cause of the Reflash crash. Changed to another USB port on my netbook and Win7 picked it up as COM1 and Reflash worked fine. Maybe something to look out for, I just don't know. Perhaps @Coulomb or @weber will have a view on the matter.

3 hours ago, ebrsa said:

I just upgraded and all seems fine. Had a fright when Reflash crashed. Device manager picked up COM2 which worked in the past but could be the cause of the Reflash crash. Changed to another USB port on my netbook and Win7 picked it up as COM1 and Reflash worked fine. Maybe something to look out for, I just don't know. Perhaps @Coulomb or @weber will have a view on the matter.

I'll advise to ensure that your usb-to-serial cable com port is changed to COM1. Always check in the Device manager. 

You only need it to be COM1 for reflashing SCC firmware. I've been doing a lot of main firmware reflashes in the past two months, debugging the patches. And I find that maybe one time in 5 or 10 it seems to get stuck sending the first packet. I know it's gone wrong when I see it telling me it will take 10 minutes or more, instead of the usual 8 minutes and some seconds. At that point I stop the reflash, cycle the power to the inverter, and restart the reflash. It seems like the inverter was in the wrong state somehow when the reflash started. But it's nothing to worry about. It always reflashes properly after cycling the (battery) power to the inverter.

Thanks @weber for your reply. The inverters were connected to batteries only for the flashing. I rebooted the netbook but also disconnected the batteries and reconnected to ensure a fresh restart for the inverters. All was well then. In the past I have never had any problems when using COM2 but did use only COM1 as required when flashing SCC firmware which thanks to your and @Coulomb 's efforts is no longer required. @PurePower I did check the COM port with Device Manager but with the first USB port used, only COM2 was available. When I plugged the RS232 to USB converter into another USB port, only COM1 was available. I don't find the weird Win7 behavior strange having had to deal with the idiosyncrasies of Microsoft products since MS-Dos saw the light of day some 36 years ago.

Edited by ebrsa

On 11/7/2017 at 10:44 AM, Coulomb said:

My colleague Weber and I have been working on a new version of the patched firmware. It's still based on 72.70. since that's the latest firmware that we have files for. For various reasons, he's been doing the majority of the work on this patch. It's been an amazing job: some 5 weeks of work, over 60 individual patches, and there is a complete new charge control mode called dynamic current limit control. The latter is complex enough that it has its own manual.

For users with lead acid batteries, the dynamic current limit probably won't be of much interest, but for users of paralleled systems there is a bug fix that should improve charging.

There is a quicker transition from line (utility, bypass) mode to battery mode, but I'm not happy with that part of things yet, and I am still investigating. But transitions are under a minute now, and it seems to me that they were much slower than that in both standard firmware and patched firmware before now.

Finally, it's no longer necessary to update the SCC firmware, which was always a bit more of a hassle for users than the DSP firmware.

It's beta software, so please try it if you're keen. But if you're cautious or not very confident about changing firmware, hold back for the "production" release, which will be called 72.70c, and will hopefully only be a week or so away.

Details are on this AEVA page: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?p=65938 . [ Edit: It's now released. See the release post instead. ]

[ Edit: removed the word "Beta" from the start of the topic title.  ]

Does this frimware have the Litium Iron support and battery equalization option?

Hi Shiggi

Welcome to the forum.

It does have Lithium Iron support and has a dynamic charging algorithm that is dependent on  communication between your BMS and the Axpert. One does not equalise Lithium cells but rather rely on the BMS to either top or bottom balance.

thanks Bwana Chris.
      I am aware about the Li-Ion charging system.  I have two systems with different banks hence why I was asking. On another note, have you noticed with the expert MKS units, that the panels sometimes go off by itself and that the only way to restore their activity is by doing a "restore to default" setting via Watch power?

Cheers

s

3 minutes ago, Shiggi Patel said:

I have two systems with different banks hence why I was asking.

There are two version's of Coulomb's firmware. One for LiFePO4 and one for other chemistries (Lead Acid, Lead Crystal etc.)

5 minutes ago, Shiggi Patel said:

On another note, have you noticed with the expert MKS units, that the panels sometimes go off by itself and that the only way to restore their activity is by doing a "restore to default" setting via Watch power?

That is unusual. I have seen the MPPT reset but this only that a couple of seconds