Axpert MKS 5KVA Inverter - 48V

Johan Brits

Hi, Mart-Marie,

If your Axpert inverter is not consuming any utility power while in the bypass mode then how do you explain the fact that you still have a daily electricity account of between R3 - R5?

Hi Carl, when we have bad weather or the batteries are not completely loaded, I "borrow" from Eskom and this always costs me R3 - R5/day.

Chris Hobson on this site explained: "Bypass is enabled meaning that if overload occurs in battery mode the inverter will allow grid to bypass inverter. Page 19 program option 23 in the manual. May not be currently bypassing but the mode is enabled."

Hi Mart-Marie,

Could you please tell if there is any radio interference from the Axpert inverter? Can you listen to radio stations on the AM and FM bands without interference?

Hi Helius,

Thank you for the question. I can listen to my car radio when it is parked right next to the inverter without interference. I cannot listen to my hi-fi radio in the lounge though. Strange..?  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am also looking to install the axpert 5k inverter. I was wondering if anybody has experienced the same problems as the Australians with the pip 4840? Chris I have seen you are also on the Australian form, I am looking to make a similar set up to yours but I am planning to attach the bvm 700 to a raspberry pi to allow me to switch between grid and solar at 70% soc using this setup that you may find interesting www.deszynski.com

Hi, I am also looking to install the axpert 5k inverter. I was wondering if anybody has experienced the same problems as the Australians with the pip 4840? Chris I have seen you are also on the Australian form, I am looking to make a similar set up to yours but I am planning to attach the bvm 700 to a raspberry pi to allow me to switch between grid and solar at 70% soc using this setup that you may find interesting www.deszynski.com

Hi John (welcome).

The closest I have come to the hassles the Aussies have had is in absorb state if one has a large load 2kW+ and is drawing from the battery. Then as it switches off the battery bank is out of balance for a couple of minutes afterwards and then it settles down again. I think part of the Aussie problem was an independent SCC which did not function properly (also made by MPP Solar). They seem to have upgraded the Caps (and mosfets?). We will have to wait and see. I think the Axpert, if one is prepared to also buy a Victron BMV, is value for money. Yes there are certain things I wish it could do but the inverters that do have that capability are 3x the price. Cheaper inverter = more panels  within the same budget.

Having installed a BMV 702 I am very happy with my Axpert/Mecer. The figures in the WatchPower software are reasonably accurate having check the figures against those of the Victron and a multimeter. The SOC is not accurate at all but the Victron's is, so I ignore the WatchPower and look at the Victron. Not that I want to stop you connecting the BMV 700 to a PI but it would be easier to set the relay to your desired SOC and activate a contactor on the AC supply side.  Set your Inverter to Utility first (program 1). At 70% SOC your relay activates the contactor - grid becomes available and the inverter switches over to AC. I want to do something similar with a pre-built Arduino-like board on the output side to run a 1000w element on a geyser when my batteries are full.

My seven year old takes everything apart and now that I have the luxury of power I thought I/we would try our hand at some electrical projects. Would you recommend Arduino or Raspberry? And secondly which bench power supply would you recommend? I don't want to buy something that I replace because it is too basic. 

That Mr Hobson on is an excellent idea! Can you set the alarm state I. E. I'm on load shedding and have gone to 40% soc it beeps to tell me to power down to save the batteries; and the relay separately I. E. I'm at 70% soc connect grid?

If that is the case you could use that with a relay and switch the element on at float voltage or 100% soc. I prefer arduino, far more tutorials on the Web!

Hi John

The relay settings are separate from the alarm settings on the Victron. So you could set the alarm at SOC of 72% to warn you that you are about to reach a threshold and then activate the relay at 70%.

With a bit of experimenting you could even use the Axpert's own settings to switch over to grid. Unfortunately with the Axpert/Mecer the switch back to grid is voltage dependant and not SOC dependant. First you would set program 1 to SOL or SBU whichever suits your needs more. You then set program 12 and 13 to voltages that make sense. In a resting state SOC of 70% will be just a fraction over 49V (49.28V). But this value is lower under load. How much lower depends on the load. You could measure what your average load during load-shedding and try and determine what 70% SOC  is and what your voltage is at that point. Your system will be reasonably accurate within the confines of what the Axpert is capable of. Unfortunately if grid is not available it continues to draw from batteries which does not make it fail safe.

I am waiting for some DIN rail 20 amp mini contactors  from China (I am a sucker for inexpensive kit- hope it lasts) and I will be using the Victron relay to control the load in my absence. The domestic can use electricity - iron etc until  SOC 70% and then the Victron will cut the supply. I hope in the interim that the PVs will continue to charge and by the time I have returned that the batteries will have recovered. 

LOL -no John wants to cut-over to grid and I just want a fail-safe in my absence. You either build a bypass or just reprogram the Victron quickly if you need power. I am finding that in the mornings my batteries DOD is 10-15% so I am really catering for a unforeseen disaster. 

I use the Axpert with WatchPower but rely on the Victron battery monitor I recently installed for SOC and mid-point voltage moniHi,

Hi,

Removed my original post -

Found that ONLY the watchpower on the supplied CD will work - none of the software on www.voltronicpower.com will work!

Now just to get the serial over ethernet via wifi working...

B

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

B

Hi B

The older units came with RS 232 and RJ45 connectors to communicate. My inverter is a June 2015 build ( and I received it in June - that is how fast they are getting them into the country) and it has a USB port. The connection is Plug and Play. The software only starts working when the unit is fired up and it only reports on the SCC once that has fired up for the first time. I found this immensely frustrating whilst I was waiting to complete my install. You can interrogate the unit directly by simulating  a COM port, but in WIN 8 it is beyond my IT capabilities. The protocol for direct  communication via COM port is 

HS_MS_MSX_RS232_Protocol_20140822_after_current_upgrade.pdf

and  instructions of how to communicate directly can be found in this thread

http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/pip4048ms-inverter_topic4332.html

One thing that you can access whilst the unit is off is the heatsink temperature. Otherwise it just returns a whole lot of zeros. It is amazing that heatsink temp never made it into the WatchPower software and they should have logged production like the Affini does.

When you get your unit running leave the battery cuff-off voltage at 42V (default) or 21 V (for 24 V systems). Changing this setting screws with the SOC  (and perhaps charging) and the maximum is only 48V which is too low in my opinion anyway.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Hi Jaco 

One tends to connect the panels in parallel and in series so that one is well within the limits of the inverter's DC input. I have 12 panels rate at about 38V and 8A I think (have not looked at specs in a while) so I have 4 string of 3 panels. End up with 38x3 = 114VDC and 8x4 = 32A.

Aaaa ok thanks for that. I do not see a volts rating for the inverter. Does that mean I can push the volts as high as it can go?

Regards.

Are you referring to PV volts - according to the manual: Max. PV Array Open Circuit Voltage 145Vdc

Aaaa ok thanks for that. I do not see a volts rating for the inverter. Does that mean I can push the volts as high as it can go?

Regards.

Hi Jaco,

SupoerDIY is spot on -

I have the same unit and connected 9x 300W renesola panels - 3x strings of 3 panels each. So 3 panels in Serie as a "String"  and 3x "strings" in parallel. My

The panels have different ratings around V and Amps etc - so you need to do a bit of homework on which panels etc. Also perhaps worth noting - as you are starting out with this - this Axpert only has 1 input for PV - so your strings of panels need to face the same directio ito sunshine. If you have half of them for the morning with the other half in the shade your efficiencies will be low. Hope it makes sense.

When starting out is seems rather confusing - "min/max/startup volts"  etc.. but ask around here - part of being able to share.

B

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

B

Hi B

The older units came with RS 232 and RJ45 connectors to communicate. My inverter is a June 2015 build ( and I received it in June - that is how fast they are getting them into the country) and it has a USB port. The connection is Plug and Play. The software only starts working when the unit is fired up and it only reports on the SCC once that has fired up for the first time. I found this immensely frustrating whilst I was waiting to complete my install. You can interrogate the unit directly by simulating  a COM port, but in WIN 8 it is beyond my IT capabilities. The protocol for direct  communication via COM port is 

attachicon.gifHS_MS_MSX_RS232_Protocol_20140822_after_current_upgrade.pdf

and  instructions of how to communicate directly can be found in this thread

http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/pip4048ms-inverter_topic4332.html

One thing that you can access whilst the unit is off is the heatsink temperature. Otherwise it just returns a whole lot of zeros. It is amazing that heatsink temp never made it into the WatchPower software and they should have logged production like the Affini does.

When you get your unit running leave the battery cuff-off voltage at 42V (default) or 21 V (for 24 V systems). Changing this setting screws with the SOC  (and perhaps charging) and the maximum is only 48V which is too low in my opinion anyway.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I eventually after removing all the software and drivers got watchpower going - usb and serial both work - and as I half expected the software is not exactly great.

If you like reading excel files you can get a bit of data from it - but no pretty graphs/internet access/cloud upload here... Also PV generation in V and I'm a bit lazy to convert from Watt and graph myself.

I guess is you get what you pay for :) Suppose that is the other 200% of the (way more) expensive brands - software/reporting :)

I might give a longer review soon of my experience with the Axpert after a month of so - watch this space.

B

@jdp if you bought trojan flooded 6v batteries I suggest reading the charging specs and set them on the axpert as the preset values will cause over gassing and damage (float too high) .

You can set it to the solar first setting where you will use solar during the day and grid at night (if the panels provide enough power) . Or you can set it to SBG where you use solar then battery and finally grid, this would seem to be the best setting, but the axpert is particularly bad at determining soc. This could result in over discharging and damage to your bank. The axpert uses voltage to estimate soc and this varies with load.

As Chris suggested using a battery meter to accurately determine soc is a must. So using the battery meter you can set the inverter to grid first and use the battery meter to activate a contactor (via its included relay) at a predetermined soc

I. E. 25 to 50%(chris's excellent suggestion).

Not using the batteries is an option but flooded batteries experience better battery life and performance when used in a cyclic fashion(without over discharging them) . I chose flooded batteries as they are more forgiving to mistakes (albeit a pain to maintain) and will hopefully survive any overcharging some of the Australians have described (although a hardware update was mentioned on one of the forms that may correct this) .

I will either use chris's suggestion or connect a small microcontroller to the victron battery meter and use it to swith between grid and solar. It can also notify me of over voltages and may even be able to provide temperature compensated charging based on battery temp. I will then use the battery meter relay in the same way as Chris, as an emergency over discharge cutoff.

If you like reading excel files you can get a bit of data from it - but no pretty graphs/internet access/cloud upload here... Also PV generation in V and I'm a bit lazy to convert from Watt and graph myself.

How do you get an excel file out of the software? If u go to the data grid view I can only export PDF.

Cobus