The Terrible Triplett

Water harvesting and use, same logic as solar systems.

Man, all this talk makes me think of that movie Idiocracy where at some point the solution to a problem was to "put water from toilets on it", after which every time they ran into another problem the less-intelligent characters in the movie would always ask if it would help to put water from toilets on it. The reason I'm reminded of that? It seems in the Western Cape, that's the solution to all used water. Flush toilets with it :-)

49 minutes ago, gabriel said:

... ww4 would be fought. his reply "sticks and stones" ...

Do you know why?

Side effect of nuclear explosions are EMP's, destroying all electronic devices in houses, cars, grid everywhere the EMP reaches. Unless the devices are hardened or in a Faraday cage.

At LAST some better news in the right direction. Love the part where the crowd dealt with the one person ... we don't have time for BS.

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2018-01-25-analysis-mmusi-maimanes-war-cry-defeat-day-zero/#.WmngYXaWaUk

1 minute ago, Louw said:

Unfortunately most/all of the RO I have seen has been installed with the flush water going down the drain!

Yup.

The 5:1 ratio also isn't cast in stone. Some rigs are 3:1, some are as low as 2:1. If you make the ratio too low, you shorten the life of the membrane of course. I'd say 3:1 is a good place to aim for, and then catch the flush water.

11 minutes ago, plonkster said:

It seems in the Western Cape, that's the solution to all used water. Flush toilets with it

From where I sit on my little spot, jip, that is the way to go, especially if the water has been used more than once before it is flushed.

My son thought he was saving water by not flushing after each drop. Got this bad smell the one day, thats how I found it.

Took the opportunity for a lesson: Explained to him the flies that sat on his "stored" deposits, now sits on his face, food etc. 

Problem sorted.

In my view, we have to figure flushing, alternatively compost toilets. But if not done properly, it can spread some nasty diseases. Be wise. 

10 minutes ago, Louw said:

... the flush water going down the drain!

That's what I though when I read you comment. Hence the education. Sell that water as garden water, toilet water. :-) 

Or send it through a desalination plant.

1 minute ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

especially if the water has been used more than once before

And that reminds me of the joke of how my grandfather dealt with oil. When drained from the bakkie, it would go into the tractor. After it's been in the tractor, it goes to the Lister. And from the Lister, it goes to the windmill head. If any of it is left in the windmill head, that is used to treat fencing poles against termites.

:-)

1 minute ago, plonkster said:

And that reminds me of the joke of how my grandfather dealt with oil. When drained from the bakkie, it would go into the tractor. After it's been in the tractor, it goes to the Lister. And from the Lister, it goes to the windmill head. If any of it is left in the windmill head, that is used to treat fencing poles against termites.

RESPECT! A man I can learn from.

We, the newer generations, have lost the plot completely. We buy and buy and buy with no care in the world.

2 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

We, the newer generations, have lost the plot completely. We buy and buy and buy with no care in the world

I think the move is back to the reuse/recycle - 20 years ago everything was packed in plastic that went to the dump site. These days everyone tries to recycle

1 minute ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

RESPECT! A man I can learn from.

Even your old Isuzu won't like that! :-P I get the general drift of your comment (learning to be less consumerist), but in terms of oil... back in those days, when your car had 50k miles on it (80k km), it would be starting to smoke, use some oil, you might actually consider overhauling the engine. Now our cars do half a million kilometers before we reach that point. Back in the day when I learned to change oil on cars, we serviced cars every 5000km, and under extreme conditions you'd double up and service every 2500km. I still did 5000km services on my '86 Jetta, but now... service intervals are at least 15k km, and I'm told that technically our oils have improved so much that at 15km we're actually servicing them more often than we used to.

Also, I've since learned about PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) and the degradation of oil due to contaminants getting past the rings and into the oil. The main reason you change oil as often as you do is not because it's full of iron shavings as in the old days... you change it because the counter-acting additives that prevents corrosion are used up :-)

In other words... unlike water... you really shouldn't be recycling oil into other engines :-)

1 minute ago, Louw said:

I think the move is back to the reuse/recycle - 20 years ago everything was packed in plastic that went to the dump site. These days everyone tries to recycle

They do, at the least try, but not to the level of Plonkster Oupa and the oil.

I see that in my family, feeling good recycling, but then they don't give 2 thoughts about driving, or electricity or water (till now :D ).

It is a serious lifestyle and outlook change, turning every penny over twice before spending a sent on anything.

1 minute ago, plonkster said:

... in terms of oil ...

O most definitely.

Could it maybe also have had contributing factors as in to save more oil, keep the tech working longer and better to save on fuel, and to become less reliant on the middle east over time, hence the synthetic oils?

2 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Side effect of nuclear explosions are EMP's

i beg to differ, what albert was referring to is that everything will be destroyed and conflict will have to be resolved at the most basic level - decades after emp's have ceased to influence any remnants of society as we know it, a sort of doomsday prognosis... but lets not go there, i mean at least not while trump and the haircut-challenged delinquent from north korea are involved in verbal diarrhea :D

the video is a real hit, i've started sharing it

I think Tump will win. Someone needed to stand up and force that delinquent to get out of the kitchen.

I agree with Einstein, just took it to level 1, with no electricity, manufacturing and distribution stops forcing us faster towards "sticks and stones". Not decades, months. ;)

A large city is, I recall, about 3-7 days from no food on the shelves if deliveries stopped. So best you treat them truck drivers with care, love and respect, the ones who deserve it. 

Things you thought you’d never hear yourself say to your kids

… and then you found yourself living in Cape Town in the Summer of 2018:
1. WHO flushed the toilet???
2. WHY did you flush the toilet??
3. Have I NOT told you to NEVER flush the toilet until it’s ABSOLUTELY necessary??
4. Please lick your plate clean!
5. We washed your hair a week ago, let’s give it a few more days …
6. No, you may definitely not shower/bath, you swam this afternoon!
7. PLEASE pee outside!
8. What are you doing washing your hands like that? Haven’t I told you to rather use the wet wipes?
9. Your face is fine, no need to wash it, nobody will notice the smear of Bovril on your chin.
10. You’d better finish all the water in your water bottle today, otherwise you’ll be drinking it again tomorrow!
11. Those shorts are just fine, one more mud or grass stain will not make a difference.
12. Let’s just leave these smelly socks that you’ve been wearing all day out in the sun for a while, shall we? They’ll be good to go again tomorrow!
13. You’d better not scratch your mozzie bites and leave blood spots on your sheets, your bedding isn’t due to be washed for at least another 3 weeks!
14. No, you cannot go to your friend’s house tomorrow afternoon, there’s 1mm rain predicted and we need everyone to be at home to catch it!

Have I left anything out? #CapeWaterCrisis #FindingHumour

On 1/21/2018 at 4:56 PM, The Terrible Triplett said:

@(#*$&#!#$(%$&*@#!

Thanks Mark

The forced spending of monies has just blinked at me from the horizon.

I haven't had to fiddle with a washing machine in many years, but our top loader could be bucket fed and it worked fine. SO, here's an idea. Hook a pilot light (probably 220V, you need to check) to the circuit that operated the solenoid at the back (check the voltage of the solenoid, it's either 12V or 220V). Then disconnect the hose pipe and give it some water when the light comes on. Stop when the light goes out. Generally, a sensor would measure the weight of the tub to know when it's full enough. This obviously mean you would need to hang around while washing is done. 

8 hours ago, SilverNodashi said:

I haven't had to fiddle with a washing machine in many years, but our top loader could be bucket fed and it worked fine. SO, here's an idea. Hook a pilot light (probably 220V, you need to check) to the circuit that operated the solenoid at the back (check the voltage of the solenoid, it's either 12V or 220V). Then disconnect the hose pipe and give it some water when the light comes on. Stop when the light goes out. Generally, a sensor would measure the weight of the tub to know when it's full enough. This obviously mean you would need to hang around while washing is done. 

I had a similar idea, a bit less invasive. This idea does not completely eliminate grid water use, but reduces it significantly. Put a water flow- or pressure sensor inside the water inlet. Pressure sensor would likely work best. Also put in a flow restrictor or close the feeding tap so there is very little flow. When the washing machine opens the valve, the pressure will drop rapidly due to the flow restriction. This signal can then be used to activate a low-voltage pump that feeds the content of a bucket/tank into the machine. For frontloaders, you merely insert the pipe into the soap-dispenser drawer around the area where the main water inlet jet is. The upside to such a setup, is that when the bucket runs empty (use a pump that doesn't mind running dry), it simply continues with municipal water. If you prefer to do your last rinse cycle with cleaner water, you can accomplish this by making sure the bucket(s)/tank only has enough water to complete the first cycle(s).

You could make many variations on this, you could leave out the pump, but make it sound a buzzer to remind you that the washing machine has to be minded (so you don't have to hang around all the time, but can still pour in the bucket of water).

But for now I still think my water-trolley idea is the neatest and simplest. A bit expensive, but no electronic wizardy required, build it with off-the-shelf components. Downside to this though: Water tank must not run empty. Bad for the pump (well, the pressure control unit on top should stop it if there is no flow, and so protect it), and then the washing machine can't finish.

10 hours ago, SilverNodashi said:

SO, here's an idea.

Or I can just turn the tap off, to just dribble, and see what the washing machine and dishwasher do?

I don't want to spend more money that what is absolutely necessary for in best case it all becomes moot when the desalination is done on a large scale OR we do run dry and have to move.

17 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

if it is for real before I make a joke

it looks real if you have a look at his other trash:

5a6afcf2bf143_fbrasisvirforum.thumb.jpg.a03c9c08be9176243d706698e8a621fc.jpg

3 minutes ago, shizuka said:

thank you so much for sharing..

@shizuka Hope that is meant sincere and that I have not upset anyone? ;)

So far I have made two rather upsetting post above, the pic above and the video, pushing the boundaries, I know.

See the vid below. I went ape, fearlessly so, and if I find those guys ... will name and shame them everywhere I can.

having been slightly addicted to espionage novels, once read this - and it is quite applicable to some morons like above tweeter - when captured, give them a good meal with alcoholic beverages, i mean treat them real good on the food side [spicy/salty stuff]; then let them sleep BUT as soon as they wake up they will find themselves bound a little distance from a tap dripping into a bucket, obviously they can't reach the water, and that is where the 'nadors' becomes your best buddy... by the way, is not racist behaviour unconstitutional in this country??? or is that relative too?