Mike

Desalination Plant

11 minutes ago, ebrsa said:

So why is it so difficult for what passes for government in RSA to get to grips when all the information is readily available.

Too many cooks (read political parties pulling all over the spectrum for a spot in the sunlight), whilst sipping cold Perrier water.

If they do agree on a solution, next level is the new set op Gupta likes stealing all they can once they have bribed all the needed to bribe to install the solution.

Or maybe, like I said in the other post, it is all a scheme to get Cpt on its knees to get voters, distract from Zuma's plight etc. by letting it go dry.

11 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Two pops to mind. Windhoek, Israel? 

Yes. Windhoek was somewhat of a world leader when it started recovering water from sewage. People would come to visit, and refuse to drink the water when they found out. What they didn't know is that water is much cleaner than the gunk we got from Goreangab.

Windhoek had another thing in place very early on. All sports fields (schools and otherwise) get semi-purified water in separate pipes for watering, so they don't use potable water for irrigation.

In the late 90s they went through the same sort of thing Cape Town is in now. Their solution was simply to make water so expensive that people willingly ripped out their gardens. When my wife visited Windhoek the first time she wanted to know why the houses are painted such wildly different colours... I explained that's what you do when you don't have a garden :-)

Man... sometimes I still miss that place.

Off I go to Emirates airlines cargo tomorrow to pick up the unit at 145kg's of it. I am not on here often so to answer a few questions / remarks i have seen......@ebrsa - I have a tank that brine waste goes to and that then returns to the sea when full, but besides that i also have a borehole and the waste from that can go free of charge to the builders for cement mixing. I will post some pics when all in place. It will have from the borehole two x primary FRP pressure vessels with auto backwash, then to 4500lt holding tanks, from there it enters the desalinator thru that and its 7 stage RO system & UV, where the pure water goes to a 2200lt holding pressure pump tank to my home and a tap on the pavement for surplus for neighbors. the salt water holding tank and fresh water holding tanks supplying the desal unit will be controlled by electronic soloid valves, so i can switch at any point. I might be able to add the big blue 5 stage filter on the borehole line if the test results are ok from the lab and thereby bypass the desal on that line..... more to come.  Got my first order of 44 of these units on the weekend.....

@Mike  I will surely come and have a look as soon as the unit is operational. Looks like you have a great plan for never experiencing a Day Zero. With all your successful activities in solar, Bitcoin mining and now desalination your are worthy of the title Tech King Of Yzerfontein. Just joking although true as well. Your solutions for the problems related to desalination appears to be all addressed. Best of luck with it and congratulations with yet another successful enterprise.