The Terrible Triplett

Current Water Affairs.

@plonkster ... listen to what Ziile said Yesterday ...

3 things that caught my attention:
- 2 years of rain to fill the dams - as I asked above,  who says it is going to be a bumper raining season/s?
- Desalination plants coming online in Arpil, 16mil liters per day. We use 600mil liters per day. There goes THAT idea till the can fund a HUGE desalination plant, with Dept of Waterworks having squandered all their funds.
- Nat Government, as with Eskom, did not do their JOB - again. Surprise!!!

continues here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAS4MEEs1JI

Just love how they cut off when someone speaks out against Blubbermint.

1 hour ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

- Nat Government, as with Eskom, did not do their JOB - again. Surprise!!!

It's interesting that what OUTA has been arguing -- that National government should pay and not the consumers -- is exactly what Helen says. I don't know about other people... but I was willing to pay that levy. If it would have helped us secure our own water sources, I would gladly have pitched in. Again, I don't know how other people felt, but if you had come to me, and told me how we're still paying for the Bergrivier dam (how many people know that?), and why this levy is necessary because AGAIN national government is failing us and we (as the privileged funders of this great province) will have to pull the wagon through the ditch (that just doesn't work in English does it?), and if Afriforum and everyone who is still belatedly sending SMSes around trying to fight this levy which isn't going to happen anyway now had rather put their weight behind a way to find the money rather than to not find it...

You know... for the most part I think Afriforum does good things. I understand that they are not well liked among people of a different demographic, but for the most part, they get a lot of stuff. But in this case, between them and OUTA... all we did was refuse to help ourselves while calling on the guys that we know won't help to do it.

52 minutes ago, pilotfish said:

Nope the client must buy outright, otherwise 2 months later it pi$$es with rain and you suddenly own 50 x 5000L tanks+pumps and have to find some place to store them!

Ok, good point. Must be sold.

Zille said we need 2 years to fill the dams.

I say with 3 consecutive years of lower rainfall... huge bets are being placed on mother nature to reverse the trend. 

Lets hear what Mmusi Maimane has to say tomorrow at 11h00 am, when he briefs SA on the plan of action to avoid "Day Zero" in CoCT. Live stream on FB apparently also.

I have reduced the problem to one bottom line:
If the rains do not return in the next few months, deep drenching continuous rain in the catchment areas, or, in lieu of such, a desalination plant that can delivery +-400-500mil liters of water per day ... it is going to get REALLY interesting.

The ripple effect of no rain, just in the Western Cape, is ginormous.

One example I came across was that millions of family members, whom rely on 600 000 tourism and farm workers, will be left with not only water, but no money to buy food, because of the resultant job losses directly linked to no water for continued farming activities.

How a desalination plant in Cpt will help farmers, I have no idea.

That, I think, is the sum total of it. No proper rain, huge disaster. No rain, but a massive desalination plant, the farmers and their workers, export, food for the city, still lose.

1 hour ago, plonkster said:

On a more positive note again ...

All that is true, I support that. Focus and be sane.

Like I said before, if the rains come, no problem, we won the lottery with Mother Nature, we have a little bit more time.

BUT.

I have just one question for Zille and Lille. What if the rains do not come as expected?

Want to hear it from an official, no fake news, no interpretations, no political correctness. The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

With friends last night. We chatted about the elephant in the room. Two things stood out for me:
- They must do something.
- My grey-water system is watering my garden now. I use some of that water for the toilets.
- We have a borehole, we can supply the house and water the garden (no you cannot!), but the water is getting more and more cloudy.
- We have 5000l tank to fill the pool and water the garden.
- We share a bath once a day now.
- We are buying bottled water and storing that.
- Moving on. Did you see the latest FB posts on Little Harry ... 

(facepalm)

Tell us what happens Jun 2018 if the rains do not return, is late or insufficient.
Let us plan for that. Make a bylaw to start getting government funded tanks or such in case 

It would appear from today's news reports that the blame lies with DWA, (Dept of Water Affairs and Sanitation), which is apparently responsible for supplying bulk water to municipalities for distribution in terms of the Constitution. Well either they are brain dead or simply not concerned or just are incapable of planning. The shortage of rainfall during the past winter and resultant insufficient dam levels in the Western Cape was clear to see for anyone with a functioning brain. The time for planning is long past. All that remains is action to avert a disaster. Trucks delivering a few liters of water to families and individuals will not keep the sewerage systems functioning with a health catastrophe of biblical proportions in sight. Hopefully my 10K liters of collected rain water will see me and my wife through until the Voelvlei dam can supply us again. That is if it even rains. Otherwise we may have to go for an extended visit to our daughter in Dubai were in excess of 2 billion liters are produced every day.  DWA should go and learn there. Alternatively invest in one of @Mike''s desalinators.

a lot of chickens running around without heads.... your local members of whatever political party  just want points.   if we the people have to sit around and wait .....then you have already lost the battle. the water issue started before the Eskom debacle, i was told by a client 7 years ago to be prepared for this event......sad thing is he worked for Dept Water & sanitation....

I am not too sure anymore that CoCT knows how to handle the situation. As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone really knows.

The USA has had cities with similar problems, when massive storms hit them, like New Orleans etc.

It is not a easy problem to solve.

Today, here and now, there is too much noise in and around the issue with all and sundry trying to score political or blaming points.

On top of this Dept of Water Affairs, adding to the above comments, is one of the departments with the most failed audits, I heard, with +-R2.1bil in wasted expenditure, who currently has no monies left in their budget.

Add to that Eskom's recent financial woes, and we have a SA cluster #(@**%.

We have absolute silence, like with the first round of Eskom failures, around Cpt's plight. CCN  and Prepper sites are even reporting on our plight, our nations exec are not saying a word, that I have seen.

Have just one question, for the answers until then is quite simple, Do. Not. Waste. Water. Save. Every. Drop.

The question: How long do we have after 12th of April if the rains do not return?

Am starting to get an idea that it could be a case of less said the better. People would go into full blown panic?

22 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

How long do we have after 12th of April if the rains do not return?

If that link I posted earlier has the facts together, and the writer did bolster it somewhat heavily with charts and stats, we should make the first half of July. So basically, around salary time in June... if we had no meaningful rain... and if the taps aren't dry yet by then... then the fat lady sings.

you can actually see the panic setting in, where people are buying up all the water on the shelves, telling others asking to leave one bottle to kind of move on its mine...... the %$$£@ going to hit the fan big time, as TTT states nobody really know what going on.. and i read that they have brought Day Zero back another 10 days!! So where we at now?

1 hour ago, plonkster said:

So basically, around salary time in June... if we had no meaningful rain... and if the taps aren't dry yet by then... then the fat lady sings.

I was not clear in my question. Sorry!

Let me expand it a bit also.

This little matter I posted above of the desalination plants that may or may not happen ... 

The Cities water projects, how does that fit into the equation with little to no rain: If the rains stay away after 12th of April and the dams have run dry, CoCT resident can still get __ liter of water pppd, indefinitely. (or at least whilst the aquifers have water) 

And would that water be given every 2nd day, once a week?
How much pppd?

Was told that in the last 10 years, CoCT population grew by 50% or something ridiculous. 

So I'm thinking of what happens when the taps stop supplying all the squatter camps, informal settlements, Gugulethu, etc. The majority of Capetonians reside in the less formal areas, and there are no real stats on just how many souls there are. The rest of us, on a database at CoCT, can buy bottled water, even at hugely inflated prices, due to huge transportation costs. The point being, CoCT does not really know how many souls are here.

Then the impact ito people and jobs. 600 000 hospitality / farm workers out of jobs = +-3 million dependents without money for food. Who else will be affected?

The risk ito diseases. Sewage systems will fail. People are going to start pooping in a plastic bag in a bucket, and then throw it in the bin, ending up on the municipal dumps.

And then I sit and wonder, R15 billion or some such and we can sort the desalination matter big time. Even if we just funded part of it till government could take over the remainder.

But the majority, and Zille, said NO, we must not pay. It is not right they said.

That self righteous point of view could just turn out to be the biggest, most short sighted decision in the history of Cpt, the people not wanting to pay a water levy, led by Zille.

Why? The ones who can afford it, thereby averting the disaster, the HAVE's, who have tanks and money to buy water, refused to pay a levy. Now they could very well become the targets of the HAVE NOT's whom have become seriously desperate due to no food and no water.

The more I think about the scale of this potential disaster, that it stretches far beyond the cities borders, the finality of it, my mind just reboots.

Our ONLY hope lies in the rains returning with gusto ... that we can sort the next round, there will be another, wisely.

29 minutes ago, Mike said:

people are buying up all the water on the shelves

At the local spar there is a tank where you can refill your container. They feed it from an RO rig somewhere else, so it fills up slowly. By lunch the tank is empty (it's a clear tank, you can see the level inside). People show up with not just one bottle, but 5 or 6. This afternoon I got there just as the tank was about to run out again. I filled my one bottle just to see someone approaching with both hands full of bottles... if I had been a minute later there would be nothing left.

2 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

till government could take over the remainder

Mach keine Witze!

3 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

people not wanting to pay a water levy, led by Zille.

According to Zille, she was always against it. DWS suggested the levy, and the city managers eventually voted for this. I don't know if you read the letter they sent us, but they were quite clear about why they needed the money. Maar jy ken mos ons mense.

6 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

The more I think about the scale of this potential disaster

My wife has done an ostrich head-in-sand on this. Too much for her. Makes everyone depressed. Yes, if it comes to that, I'm making a runner. My family is more important than that.

I don't think day zero will be in April. I don't know when it will be, I think the biggest risk is if we don't get rain by June. If we don't, then it is inevitable.

The idiots in central government must start doing their jobs. If not, when this mess reaches crisis point, only replacing rubber bullets with sharp points will bring some semblance of law and order. I have lived long enough to remember the times when it came to that. And still those who slavishly follow the utterances of the braindamaged media thinks Pres. Trump has it wrong when he allegedly called African and other countries s**thole countries. Personally I would say, if he did actually said that, he sure hit the nail on the head. Or are folk still to brainwashed to understand the potential tsunami we are approaching with every passing day.

So I think @Mike has it right with the steps he is taking. Solutions to the water scarcity problem is the only issue we in the Western Cape should collectively focus on, including the 60% in CoCT who are selfishly and stupidly not reducing their consumption.

10 minutes ago, ebrsa said:

Trump has it wrong when he allegedly called African and other countries s**thole countries

No no no... they didn't call him wrong. They called him racist. I've long found that a little amusing... I mean, for engineering personalities like my own, you kinda sorta care about being right about the facts, and then you worry about how to say it without being insensitive. These guys could care less about the wounded man lying next to the road to Jericho, they are upset that the Priest said something bad about Samaria.

34 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

the investment we had in our property

Yes, I worry about that too. I hope it won't come to that.

18 minutes ago, ebrsa said:

when this mess reaches crisis point

that's the problem; it has already reached crisis point.

an old street-wise senior officer once told me never to inform him of a problem if i could not at least come with a solution.

the obvious ineptitude of the authorities and the scale of this crisis forces us [not only those in ct but nearby!] to make serious emergency plans. 1st of which is to get a safe distance from the officially acknowledged potential anarchy. i.e. get some emergency rations and stuff if you have to take off quickly, make sure there is juice in your vehicle, plan a getaway route which will avoid potential dangers [take by-ways, not the n1 etc]m, in other words plan and be prepared, in the end you might gladly sacrifice some material possessions just to get out of this mess alive. and remember communications - this is not unlike unconventional warfare and has to be managed as such.

God bless and g'nite

g

There are too many factions and groups and opinions and blame and all that in and around this fiasco for anyone to begin to agree to work together.

In the end, in line of what Gabriel, Plonkster and EBRSA is thinking along, it may come down to a select few (few thousands) doing what they think is best for them individually, with the rest left behind wailing and screaming blue murder, waiting for the Government to help.

A theory I am still mulling on, if Eskom, SAA, Gupta's, KPMG, railways, Banks - add to the list - all doing what they did with the Gupta's driving it all for decades right under our eyes, there could be people in the ANC driving this fiasco (as Dept of Water is under their control), 'punishing' the WC for not voting "right", with DA stronghold getting more and more votes year after year, scaring the dinges out of the ANC leaders.

But lets go BIGGER. Seeing that Eskom did go down as bad as it could have gone, maybe this is their 2nd go at bringing SA down for keeps. To take SA lower than Zim.

If it comes out in the years to come, that same as Eskom, there was meddling, I will have to give them credit.

Then they are indeed masters, masters at a scale few would even dare to think of, by waiting patiently for years for the rains to slow (it was predicted), forcing CoCT to build a damn out of our rates and taxes, weakening our financial resources even further forcing us to pay for all the current schemes, whilst continuing to withhold dire emergency funds to sort the problem, carefully driving a campaign to blame Zille and Lille and the DA for it all.

Now that would deserve some kind of nefarious respect.

Let me go and drink a beer. At least SAB can still make beer, until their resources is declared a national resources and must be given to the people.

Another perspective on a looming disaster.

The simple matter of all our towns and cities are the demise of the their town planning departments. I see this degree is still offered - would love to know the uptake of it.

They would (in the good ole days) do the planning for infrastructure which would include water reticulation and sewerage plants (and schools!!) based on population growth and ageing factors.

The uncontrolled growth in shacks around cities and towns increases the problems exponentially. And this is forced on us all by the current government as these people are gullible voters which is a major part in their strategy to keep political control of areas. In my young days shacks were not allowed and people had to live in defined areas with boundaries.

The media noise in Cape Town around the looming water crisis is highlighting one of the many social problems waylaying us.

I don't see anyone pulling out a rain fall graph for the last 50 years to make predictions based on it.

From young I was taught that drought cycles in this semi arid country run in 7 year cycles - and I have lived through a quite a few.

The simple fact is their population explosion has overtaken their infrastructure capabilities. You can prioritise the following in any order:

1. Inadequate schools and the way they are managed.

2. Sewerage discharge into our river systems - and nothing is done by authorities.

3. Inadequate electrical supply that does not meet a growing demand (and was promised to voters for free - nothing more irritating than a voter with a long memory nê).

4. Housing needs not meeting population demands.

5. Dysfunctional transport systems i.e. Metrorail and many more examples.

And the list goes on to whatever you can think of - we are scrambling for survival from one problem to the next

I sit here and cannot think of a single success story in our current situation.

Unless we get a real government in charge we are heading for a disaster of global proportions.

And I am very realistic about this.

7 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

So has mine ... 

Lets hope for the rain because if we have to pull out, the investment we had in our property, may become like this: :D

Desolated towns

Civilisations have become extinct and forgotten.

So why not mega cities?

One thousand years from now the planet Earth will look totally different.

We live but in one minute of civilisation time.

7 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Now that would deserve some kind of nefarious respect.

That makes me think of something else, tangentially related. On the topic of what kind of belief system it takes to be good and/or bad, there are a couple of interesting groups. Not exhaustive...

There is the kind of people that we might call "good", but they are good because they do nothing or at least preciously little. The insist on living the simple life, undoing small things. They think the world can be fixed by a compounding of small kindnesses on a day by day basis.

Then there is the kind of people who we might call bad, but they are bad because of the magnitude if things they do. This would be people like Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, and Stalin. They are goal driven and believe the world can only be changed (for the better, some kind of better) by these large actions.

Then there's the kind we might call good, but they insist on large reforms. That would be people like William Wilburforce or Martin Luther King.

Now that second group, the kind who are evil BUT can definitely not be said to be lazy or stupid. Indeed, they deserve a nefarious kind of respect.