2 x GTI one system

Energy-Jason

Hi everyone.  Hope you are enjoying the forum. 

I need some help. I wil not be selling power back to the grid. My wind turbine supports a certified GTI in SA. How ever I would also love to grid tie solar all on the one system.

Is it at at possible to make use of two grid tie inverters on the same system?

I am also worried of the rapid changing of power output of the wind turbine.

I feel the two GTIs Will be :fighting each other?

Thanks all,

Jay)

Hi Jay

I don't see any trouble with two GTIs. So long as you have a grid limiter(s) everything should be able to integrate and  work fine. How does your wind turbine compatible GTI handle not being able to feed into the grid? A wind turbine is different to a solar panel that it is actively producing power and you as the user need to use that power. In a off-grid situation it is relatively easy in that the wind turbine takes its cue from the battery voltage and if the batteries are full it powers a dump load. This is not that easy in a grid-tie situation as the cue would have to come from the limiter and you may only want portion of the turbines production to go to the dump load. 

4 hours ago, Chris Hobson said:

Hi Jay

I don't see any trouble with two GTIs. So long as you have a grid limiter(s) everything should be able to integrate and  work fine. How does your wind turbine compatible GTI handle not being able to feed into the grid? A wind turbine is different to a solar panel that it is actively producing power and you as the user need to use that power. In a off-grid situation it is relatively easy in that the wind turbine takes its cue from the battery voltage and if the batteries are full it powers a dump load. This is not that easy in a grid-tie situation as the cue would have to come from the limiter and you may only want portion of the turbines production to go to the dump load. 

Thanks so much, I am know some of the Power-One (ABB) Aurora Solar & Wind Inverters Solar GTI are Certified for RSA GTI. Will you guys be able to help me find out if the any of the wind units are? WIll be a great help!

Thanks champs!

Jay

On 3/18/2018 at 3:49 AM, Energy said:

Is it at at possible to make use of two grid tie inverters on the same system?

Yes, absolutely no problem. They won't even know about one another if you have a nice low-resistance grid connection to them.

Just keep in mind that there is usually a limit of how much total power you may feed back, which is something like 3.6kw or similar, at least on single phase. Check your local regulations.