Allen Hobson

Axpert 5KVA No Batteries?

Hi there

Probably a stupid question as I think I know the answer already.

Can these Inverters run with no batteries and only on Panels and switch to Utility when when needed?

I pulled the fuses to the battery bank and they just fault.

My Batteries need replacing but dont have 50 or 60 k right now :(

4 minutes ago, Allen Hobson said:

Can these Inverters run with no batteries and only on Panels and switch to Utility when when needed?

Nope.

5 minutes ago, Allen Hobson said:

My Batteries need replacing but dont have 50 or 60 k right now

Jip, therein lies the rub with solar systems. Panels and inverters are cool, batteries ONLY when you are off-grid. Not in the cities.

Now some will tell us otherwise, wait till they have to replace the battery bank the 1st time. ;)

Do you need to run stuff off batteries at night? 

I keep my bank as small as I can, for it used to be for power failures. Today I am keeping it above SOC of 80% to see if I can get the 4000 cycles out of them.

3 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Do you need to run stuff off batteries at night? 

I dont mind running at night on Utility as my load is minimal at night.

I am trying to get my high day time load fully supplied by Solar if possible.

Pool Pump, Heat Pump, Borehole pump, PRessure Pump, ashine machine etc.

(If I run on Utility I could pay R1000 a week... if I switch to inverters / SBU then I come down to R600 a week.)

But now since we replaced the 2 "blown" inverters last week, I cannot seem to get Solar to kick in well and supply the load... (Due to the batteries I think that are poked)

could I get by with getting a small bank of say 4 X 105AH for now?

Would that then allow Solar to provide the load (like it used to)

Here is a thought ... others to confirm!

Option one:
If it was me. Find the faulty battery/ies using a load tester. Why? If they short, they will overheat and may pop. Gets quite messy, all that plastic and acid all over see?

Then, with what is left, get the bank working again, never use it to power anything at night. Use all the power in the day.

Continue this until all the batteries are shot, replaced with the cheapest ones, even 2nd hand, you can find.

The only risk, do NOT let the batteries overheat.

Option two:
There is a Trojan bank for sale here on the forum ... I think R17k, if you don't like the above idea, which I have done myself just to keep a system going daytime.

Option three: With all T&C's completed, go grid tied. Sell inverters and the batteries (for scrap lead if they are shot) and look at say a SMA grid tie inverter.

HI Allen

Welcome to the forum.

That second hand Trojan bank would to my mind be the answer to your predicament.

We probably distantly related. My great grandfather was the eldest of 17 children. Where everyone else has a family tree I have a family thicket.

32 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

If it was me. Find the faulty battery/ies using a load tester. Why? If they short, they will overheat and may pop. Gets quite messy, all that plastic and acid all over see?

I like this idea as option 1... Where Can I find a Load Tester, short of me removing all 8 Batteries and taking to my local Battery Centre. :) 

21 hours ago, Chris Hobson said:

Where everyone else has a family tree I have a family thicket

A tiny bit OT: I once loaded my small part of the tree onto Geni, and over time other trees got connected. I have many "van der Merwe" relatives, and lately there seems to be some Conradie connections as well. What is quite interesting is that my family never moved east with the other trekkers, and most of their descendants are still in the same place: Around Citrusdal/Clan William. I was speaking to a Czech the other day and he remarked on how lucky we are that we can trace things that far back. Europeans can often only go to around 1950 or maybe 1920: Often all the records were destroyed in the world wars.

Hi All,

Ok So that did not work !! :angry:

Bought a small set of royal batteries just to get these Axperts to pull power from the panels.... But alas, It seems everything needs to go through the batteries irrespective.

So its pulled them flat twice already today...

I need another Solution from the Gurus please...

True Grid Tie, No Batteries... I want to pull Maximum power from 7kw array during day and move to Grid seamlessy at night or low solar power...

Needs to take Generator for Power Outages. hich are few and far between

Thoughts please ?

PS... 3 Brand new 5kva Inverters for sale...

wil start a new thread for this :)

3 hours ago, Allen Hobson said:

True Grid Tie, No Batteries... I want to pull Maximum power from 7kw array during day and move to Grid seamlessy at night or low solar power...

First check your local grid regulations. There is a good chance you are not allowed to tie 7kw to it. It is pretty common for the limit to be around half of that.

You can get a large Fronius (8kw with two MPPTs) for around 30k. I wouldn't bother with anything else, this simply blows everything else out of the water in terms of warranty and price... unless our esteemed forums members know of a better one.