gabriel

way off base... which truck to get???

hi folks

so here i am trying to figure out which is the worst buy, a suzuki super carry or a tata ace - i.e. those small 'trucklets'.

or should i try and get hold of a good second hand hyundai hl100

or what?

i will be the driver and it will be used over short distances - maybe every month a 200km trip with 300kg or so, but still, the stories i read on some of the small vehicles are horrendous to say the least, and another thing is i sit on the west coast - dealers are few and far between, so we are looking at a high degree of reliability...

any thoughts? :mellow:

God bless!

I have 3 Diahatsu Gran Max which my staff drive. It is a 1500cc petrol which is fuel efficient and easy to drive, has a 1.5T load capacity (although I wouldnt want to test that!) and I have found them to be reliable (all over 150,000km now and no major issues). I believe that the motor is actually Toyota, but check that for yourself if interested.

You can pick them up pretty cheaply 2nd hand - I would be happy to buy the same again.

thanks @pilotfish, i have seen good reports of those, somehow i completely missed out on looking at them - just goes to show how blind a man can be, must have been the story that they left sa

depending on your load type, i love using the M/B Vito vans. My one has done on average 14000kms per month for the last 4 years, serviced every 2 to 3 months, engine never been opened. I have two of them, 1 is a panel van and the other the crew cab...with over 700kg's of batteries to Ceres at a constant 140kms per hour......

1 hour ago, Mike said:

i love using the M/B Vito vans

i love them too but agree with @pilotfish

56 minutes ago, pilotfish said:

but not for free unfortunately!

i'm trying to squeeze 200k as hard as possible :)

my 1st one was my office for 3 years and brought in over R5m of work and only cost me like R119k, paid for itself in 1 month. they drive like a car, i just love them... i can let you know when i am going to trade one in on a newer one.......lol

2 hours ago, pilotfish said:

I believe that the motor is actually Toyota

Toyota owns half of Daihatsu and there is lots of overlap. The Avanza for example, is sold under the Daihatsu badge in other markets. The little Yaris T1 with the 3-pot engine... that's a Daihatsu engine. And why do you think the Terios was never given a decent sized engine? Because it would compete with the Rav4 if they did that.

:-)

3 hours ago, gabriel said:

suzuki super carry

I really like Suzuki. The one downside is that you usually have to wait a few days for parts, it is not a "mainstream" brand where you buy everything at the local Midas. I can only speak for the one Suzuki I know, which is a Swift. Really well put together. Quality is on par with my Toyota, most of the plastics are slightly better quality. Completely imported though, all the stickers on the windows are in Japanese :-)

I'd take the Suzuki over the Tata if those were the only options.

If it is only 300 kg kg then a bakkie would be fine. We have squeezed 26 solar panels (72 cell) into a VW Caddy. I am not up with Caddy specs but apparently one model has a slightly larger load area.

1 hour ago, plonkster said:

I really like Suzuki.

i'm 6'2" [187.96cm for most of you :P] and my head rubs against the roof [en ek is reeds bles], turning the steeringwheel i have to open the window in order for elbow-room and it comes without an aircon and can't take a tow-bar, no power-steering, as jy die passasiersitplek oplig sien jy die enjien en die pad, safety is minimal... BUT a friend of mine has the jimny, very neat!

59 minutes ago, gabriel said:

maybe, please pm

Was just a thought to add to the ideas, seeing as:
- their parts are always available at Midas, or any other parts shop in the country.
- loads of 2nd hand diffs and engines available all over.
- they tend to last very long i.e. can get a serious amount of km's on their clocks with little to no effort
- and fuel consumption are apparently very good, on the older 250 KB bakkies. Not the 280's no. 
even if you buy one (that is, can get one) cheapish on Gumtree or wherever, you could sort it and make it go for a very long time, without spending a lot of money on them.

Seeing as they are the work horses, very little complexities like intercoolers, turbo's nor computers.

There are just 3 caveats:
- Aircon may not be an option - unless you make a plan. Always wanted to see if a VW aircon can fit my 280.
- You cannot get from A to B fast, never.
- And never fly up mountain passes etc.

They can do 120km/h + ... down a mine shaft, and keeping the windows open, helps if there is no aircon. :D

So you are the patient driver, not bothered with speedy arrivals, yet you can get there same time as the rest, seeing you never had to stop on the way kinda person, and you do that day after day with nary a problem.

O just recalled a story. Know of a Nissan owner who really looks after his diesel 4x4 top of the range Xtrail. 

He always fills with the cleanest diesel, always services his car. It is in immaculate condition, always. So well looked after, it still smells like a new car.

So one day he picks up that when he starts the car, something sounds off. R1000 for a test on the "computer" at a dealer, nothing is wrong.

It slowly gets worse.

So he takes it to a non-dealer, someone who understands these diesel, test is R1500 but free if they do the repairs if something is found wrong.

Turns out, one injector is slightly clogged, somewhere he was sold lower grade diesel unbeknownst to him, or it was just bottom of the tank diesel, no-one knows. But the injector is clogged.

Cost to replace 4 injectors, seeing as the labour is the same ... hold it ... +-R20k all in.

Versus old tech having used 100% pure biodiesel, any grade diesel, even diesel that was diluted with paraffin (yeah, you can smell it when you start, was done by a scheister garage).

4 x Isuzu injectors, with labour, replaced after 15 years: R1599.00

There is just something about old tech. 

12 hours ago, gabriel said:

my head rubs against the roof

That is one thing I can say about the Swift (which is not the car you are looking at, I know... :-) ), lots and lots of headroom.

36 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Cost to replace 4 injectors, seeing as the labour is the same ... hold it ... +-R20k all in.

Yup. On my Corolla I believe the cost is around 16k for 4 new ones. But that's from the agents. You can get it down below 10k if you go out of the dealer network, and down to around 5k or 6k if you service the old ones and refit them.

I have an uncle with an Xtrail Diesel. Same thing... needed injectors. I think he was quoted somewhere close to 100k, and so he asked them simply that if he bought the car for 300k (ish), if they are really telling him that one third of the price is just in the injectors? Of course Johny-parts-guy behind the counter knows you are right, but can't do a thing about it.

Talking about Diesel... I suspect my car needs a new SCV valve (suction control valve). That is another fancy smanchy new thing they have on common rail engines that your old Isuzu doesn't have. It reduces the pumping losses by controlling fuel pressure and flow instead of just pushing it back to the tank in a circle like the old plunger pumps did. The new ones allow fuel pressure up to 150kpa, which really helps during a cold start. Mine is a really hard starter even in the benign warm Western Cape winters... and once it does start it idles a bit roughly even in summer :-)

54 minutes ago, plonkster said:

... really helps during a cold start.

Never once have I had a problem cold starting. Not in Cpt, not in Jhb.

And I never wait for the glow plugs to go off. Just start and go.

Until that one day.

Stayed over on the way to Jhb at Sutherland, because. There was nice little puddles of water from some rains that fell, in the streets, when we parked. So lovely to see the Karoo wet.

Isuzu was running on 100% biodiesel, but we filled up some at Matiesfontein, so it was diluted.

Next morning, bright and early, them puddles where frozen thick! We smiled and laughed and played with the ice, kids where happy. Wife was too.

In between all this joy, a thought surfaced. Biodiesel? Below Zero? O $*%$&  O $*%$&   O $*%$&  (for the uninformed, biodiesel becomes a gel at low temperatures.)

Slowly I turned towards the Isuzu ... the windsreen had a thick coating of ice on it.

O. My. Word.

Now I did park the nose facing a wall, just thought it a good idea at the time. Slowly I unlocked the car.

I thought. Today. Today is the day I am going to use them glow plugs. 
Switched them on and waited. Light goes off after a long while.
Again!
Took another while, but slightly faster. Had a spare batt. (kids and entertainment devices needing 220v see.)
Again!
Quicker this time.
Again!
Right, air inside the cyl heads must be piping hot now ... time to face ruin or joy.

Starter kicked in, engine turned and turned, belching an immense cloud of grey white fog out the exhaust.
Keep going!
Keep going!
Stop. Wife is giving me a look ... you know, THAT "What have you done now?" look.
Glowplugs - Repeat!
Keep calm, look suave, keep a very cool pose ...
Again!
Again!

Right, try starting again. More grey white smoke belching into the crisp karoo air, it sounded better, nearly there ... keep going ... keep going ... keep the pose.

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! We have Liftoff!

It sounded terrible, like a cylinder or two not firing properly ... but it is running!!!

Slowly it got better and better, the idling, me strutting around the car, cool as a cucumber (sweat dripping) ... keep the pose, keep the pose.

After a while, she was purring again (in my mind that is), in truth, the entire street, no the neighborhood, heard that a Isuzu is now going to drive somewhere.

That was the first time in 19 years that my beloved Isuzu took so much strain to cold start.

Why the biodiesel did not gel, I was just extremely lucky, having diluted it enough the day before, accidentally, not by design.

6 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Sutherland

Yup, the morning I realised I truly have a problem was in Prince Albert. It was about zero Centigrade that morning. The symptoms is a bit like in this video. Please ignore the blasphemy.

The fix is to count about 5 seconds past the point where the glow plug light goes off (because the glow plugs are still on, they keep going for a whole 30 seconds if you don't start immediately), then floor the accelerator and start her. So far that works and I'm putting off the expensive SCV replacement. Around 3.5k just for the part, and it needs an ECU update as well.