ibiza

I feel this is unconstitutioal. What's your thoughts?

8 minutes ago, gabriel said:

both chesterton and one of his best known 'disciples', cs lewis, did not really understand what it means to be a Christian.

Yeah, you and I have had this discussion :-) Technically Lewis was a disciple of George Macdonald, though there was some influence from Chesterton. I believe one should celebrate truth wherever you find it, even if in some ways it misses the mark. Hence my comment about Huxley. Even Ayn Rand... a favourite among some here. She got some things spot on... but not everything.

Edit: Even our existentialist friend John Locke. He wrote some stuff that is absolutely on point, even if in large I think he fell off the horse.

Also, I kinda forgot what we were talking about. Something about our government interfering with liberty. Which is kinda on point. Don't come making lists of people doing things for themselves... it scares people.

I unfortunately only saw this topic after I posted the draft Nersa document in a new thread.  Do not know if its possible to delete the new thread and I post document here.

Been thinking on this a bit. In the USA and Europe, they went BIG with solar, people fed back and made money. It was all good.

However, over time, it started to cost the "Eskom's" over there a lot ito loss in revenue / profits with the same grid maintenance and generating costs.

In the end most deals where autocratically re-negotiated, the "home users" of solar lost out on their revenue income.

Now I am getting an idea to form a thought to ponder the possibility that "they" are being pro-active here in SA, wanting to ensure they can protect their "investment" in Eskom, and not lose out on the higher income groups, companies, that are getting massive savings because of their solar investment.

The model needs to change to make it viable for all parties. From national grid to suburban, even smaller, grids. Unfortunately that is unaffordable for SA ... nor USA nor Europe.

So I am betting they are going to make us comply in order to ensure they maintain their "perceived" costs for maintaining the national grid whilst making healthy profits on that.

And we are the minority by a massive percentage. I have lodged my objection though.

Taxing an off-grid solar system would be like taxing the air that you breathe...

By all means institute fair use costs for a grid tied system if that is found to be a fair and equitable mechanism to protect the grid, but then anyone should be free to elect to go off-grid in order to avoid this additional tax in an already massively over-taxed environment.

Imagine the ludicrous situation where in a municipality like Joburg you could be fined up to R100,000 or jailed for 2 years for stealing electricity from City Power - or you could be fined R5,000,000 or jailed for 5 years for manufacturing your own power and stealing absolutely nothing from anyone???

I think the title should be changed to indicate the subject matter so that we don't get hundreds of parallel threads as already seems to be appearing?

@Energy

2 hours ago, pilotfish said:

taxing the air that you breathe...

with a tiny bit of imagination that situation has already manifested by means of the tax we pay for the national health system... think fossil fuels and mine workers

Does NERSA have the personnel to police this? Currently they deal with Eskom and other large users and producers. Are they now seriously going to go round squatter camps and try to register people charging batteries with solar panels, spy over garden walls to catch 'illegal producers', what about those little solar lights people put in their gardens, now illegal without registration? They will have to put in a lower limit to exempt domestic systems, otherwise it will go the way of etolls. Grid tied domestic producers are a resource that should be encouraged, not red taped out of existence.

Just the fact that some idiot or idiots in positions of power could conjure up such a totally braindamaged idea is conclusive proof that there is no hope for a reasonable future for this nation. The President has fired a few incompetants from the Zuma cabinet. He has a lot more to show the door. I sure hope some of the more sensible activist organisations will tackle this lunacy and spread the news far and wide. Perhaps that will create enough public resistance to kill the stupidity.

In the private sector, nobody pays the refineries an availability charge for liquid fuel or gas yet we buy as little or as much as we need at any time. Just government entities demand such extortion. If you produce your own bio-diesel from used cooking oil, I doubt you owe the refineries an availability charge.

However much the pre-ANC governments are despised, such plundering of citizens was never done and we had plentiful and cheap electricity. But Eskom employees were not paid obscene salaries and bonuses. Judging their performance, or rather lack thereof, one cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, regard such excessive remuneration as having been earned.

1 hour ago, DeepBass9 said:

what about those little solar lights people put in their gardens,

there was this movie, 'apocalypse now' in which marlon brando uttered the famous monologue on 'horror', what we have here is insanity

1 hour ago, DeepBass9 said:

Does NERSA have the personnel to police this?

obviously not - but they will appoint them at HUGE cost to the consumer, like they do with all other 'regulatory' bodies

Back to my original point though, is that the information gathered would be useful to forecast future energy demand from Eskom. Maybe a few simple questions on the population census form would be way easier though:

Are you off grid?

Do you intend going off gird in the near future?

Grid tied installations can be monitored through the municipalities. 

37 minutes ago, DeepBass9 said:

Grid tied installations can be monitored through the municipalities. 

That's my feeling as well. Constitutionally speaking, last-mile distribution is their job. I think what many of us had hoped for is that Nersa would lay down guidelines for the installations (ie what you need to comply with, probably NRS097-2-1, and how you get it signed off... hopefully not an expensive Pr-Eng as it is now), but that the guidelines would actually be... well... guidelines... like requiring SABS compliance for geysers or such.

One of the items mentioned, namely storage, also makes no sense to me. Why does it matter how much storage I have? If I add more storage (of the same kind), do I have to register that too? That's like asking me how much Diesel is in the tank of the backup generator. One might be forgiven for responding with: That is none of your damn business!

What matters is that I don't have a 45KVA grid-tied thing connected to a single-phase line that can only handle 15. Or at least that is what one would think. @Chris Hobson will know about that little fun item I just mentioned :-)

What surprised me the most is that Eskom which seems to be the brain behind the proposal, have rolls of solar panels in their parking lots at Megawatt park office. Hence I say is this animal farm kind of systems we've to push gradually towards by our so-called politicians ?.  Or the rest of the taxpaying citizens are not entitled to generate a microgrid at their backyard. Instead, we should be donating to the useless and corrupt systems.

We need to do whatever it takes for this forum to stop  NERSA in their tracks. All other developing countries are paying microgrid producers for supporting green energy, the opposite is about to happen here in South Africa. 

3 minutes ago, Mark said:

@Chris Hobson Please tell... please... please ;) 

Something I posted last night on Facebook. It was a SMH (shake my head) moment. Had a support case yesterday of a very large hybrid setup on a single phase line. Don't want to supply too much details for obvious reasons. I'm saying these systems are out there...