Paul Coetzee

Solar panels on flat roof: Does the angle of the solar panel really matters ?

4 minutes ago, Johandup said:

I will need 15 panels to give me 4kw (debatable of course) so 30 panels is way out of my budget.

Till you see the cost of a full-blown tracker, then the panels are cheap, by any definition. :D

5 minutes ago, Johandup said:

This discussion will stop when solar roof tiles is affordable and the whole roof is covered in it.

Been watching solar roof tiles for years, in SA, was sold by a company we don't deal with.

What I figured was that if your roof is not in the right position, it represents a challenge ito a ROI.

If we build another house again, roof positioning or design, the 1st decision to make, then the rest, for even if one does not go for solar it could be a sales pitch later when selling again.

2 hours ago, pilotfish said:

good and bad points of the vehicle.

He did... but again, in fairness... only much later when the damage was done already, and not with complete sincerity :-)

2 hours ago, pilotfish said:

mine is Gen 3

and as I recalled his comments were restricted to the new one, he said he actually liked the old one. But yeah... after the bomb had already burst.

Perhaps as a parting shot, I would like to leave this here, the car I learned to drive in. Nothing knocks out fillings in teeth worse than this.21641171_10155549221645619_6812569531943025359_o.thumb.jpg.e2d8ddf37b11ca0d27129e8fb8a067e9.jpg

Edit: And there is solar in that picture. Top right you can just see the back of the panels.

Just now, pilotfish said:

What did it look like before your lessons started:D

Actually, it survived me pretty well. I damaged the mirror on the right side and demolished the odd Swarthaak. The reason it looks like that is because the "other driver" sometimes chased down troublesome cattle with it... and over a 20 year period the combined damage from small incidents eventually took its toll.

22 hours ago, pilotfish said:

If you are on a farm then a 2axis array is doable so long as total cost is not more that fixed array x1.5. 

I got a tracker quote for a client R120k for 36 72 cell array (mid 2017).

14 minutes ago, Chris Hobson said:

Including or excluding the panels?

19 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

My personal favorite ... also where I really learnt to drive.

buffel.jpg

Had a license for it and clocked many many hours driving them during a long forgotten lifetime in operational areas.

The left hand drive on our roads was quite an experience at first - wonder why they did it as it was made here.

Best there was....

Many of our soldiers survived landmines and attacks because of these.

i stll cannot figure out the yanks approach with their humvees which is nothing proof....

Back to solar

17 hours ago, Chris Hobson said:

As far as technology goes solar is still in its baby shoes.

In comparison cars have been around forever.

Research will catch up  in the next forty or so years.

Hopefully before our natural oil, gas and coal resource gets depleted forever.

I won’t be around ;-\

Do any of you read Solar Power World? - its the only solar magazine out there which I have found.

21 hours ago, Chris Hobson said:

that's cheap! But as said before, it's cheaper to add 20% or 30% more PV than use a tracker. Unless real estate is a problem, i.e. too little roof / lawn space