The future in inverter software

Johandup

37 minutes ago, Johandup said:

It will force inverter manufacturers to improve buggy software. 

I'm not sure I saw that bit :-)

But about scheduled charging and discharging, some have it already, and planet blue is getting it real soon. I'm not sure if the other guys -- you know the ones who cannot even properly fix a charge bug in their firmware -- if they will get it anytime soon.

19 minutes ago, plonkster said:

But about scheduled charging and discharging, some have it already, and planet blue is getting it real soon. I'm not sure if the other guys -- you know the ones who cannot even properly fix a charge bug in their firmware -- if they will get it anytime soon.

The real improvement is comparing costs when making decisions on when to charge - comparing rates at different times and using AI to figure it out.

This is Tesla forcing the world to advance - most of the car manufacturers are now doing electrical cars.

Same as what they are doing for batteries and solar.

Oh, did I forget to mention space rockets and a Tesla going into space.

Pity they’re not a South African company.

I also read they completed a 2.6 mile long underground tunnel by The Boring Company. 

As a mining engineer I am really impressed with the little fanfare and the way it was achieved.

Kudos for Elon Musk in assembling the right teams to achieve his visions.

The world needs a million people like him.

10 minutes ago, Johandup said:

comparing rates at different times and using AI to figure it out

At the moment I'm unsure about the AI part. Believe me that is going to be a support nightmare! Questions such as 1) Why is it discharging!?, and 2) Why the heck is it charging NOW? are top of the list of irritating support questions support people already have to answer. 1) Because you told it to is so much easier to say than 2) because our intricate deterministic machine learning thing thought it is good for you :-)

(seriously... just last week I had to answer the "why is it charging and powering my house from the grid?" question. The answer was "because your battery is between 0% and 3% SoC". :-) ).

Ja well, all my sympathy.

I realised when my power tripped everything is not so clear to all the people.

Common sense is not so common as we tend to presume.

Then again, I don’t know how many things work as they never break down.

I still cannot do programming as I used to give it to the youngsters when it came up. I grew up in the BC (before computers) era.

I have this tendency to reverse engineer stuff when the experts fail.

But I have given all this up now that I’m retired.

Gardening is so much nicer and slower paced as well.

2 hours ago, plonkster said:

Talking about this :P

Capture10.thumb.JPG.cd07f20c717ab240f4fe954d5bcb4d46.JPG

29 minutes ago, viper_za said:

Talking about this :P

Capture10.thumb.JPG.cd07f20c717ab240f4fe954d5bcb4d46.JPG

The Tesla trick will be to use or supply power when it is financially the least expensive or the most profitable.

Makes sense as solar is all about money.

4 hours ago, Johandup said:

Pity they’re not a South African company

elon musk, their ceo, is south african by birth. he still has family here BUT not only did his schools take advantage of him [one of which pretoria boys high], also the government - he has no interest in sa. i can't blame him, with a ever so wise government* with a culture of disregarding innovative ideas, why should a self made multi billionaire whizkid be the exception? apparently he has plans which could rescue our power chaos, but so has this forum, but it seems eskom will not or can not apply their mind [?] to any equitable solution.

*one of the reasons he left sa was military service under the nats

4 hours ago, Johandup said:

I have this tendency to reverse engineer stuff when the experts fail.

Sometimes your training gets in the way.

A long time ago, I took my wife to a job interview and sat outside in the waiting area.  Suddenly a man's head pops out the door and he asks me this riddle (which he obviously also asked of the interviewee inside): You have nine identical-looking steel balls and a balance scale. One of the balls has a hollow center and weighs slightly less. You are only allowed to use the scale twice. Find the hollow ball.

Try as I might, I could not get it down to less than three iterations. Divide and conquer right? It took me 45 minutes to solve it.

A few days later I called my father (who is a farmer) and asked him the same question. He solved it in 3 minutes.

1 minute ago, gabriel said:

one would think his dad had the connections to get a powerwall etc

Us whities very often have daddy issues. Which is not to say that there is or isn't such a thing... just... saying.

On 2018/05/14 at 11:58 AM, Johandup said:

The Tesla trick will be to use or supply power when it is financially the least expensive or the most profitable.

Makes sense as solar is all about money.

I doubt that it will work in South Africa since most municipalities have their own schedules and rates. Some have the same rates throughout the day and seasons, while other have different rates. And for Tesla to know they, they need to know all the municipalities' rates, and reprogram all the inverters in those areas accordingly. Allowing the end user, or installer solves the problem somewhat

24 minutes ago, SilverNodashi said:

I doubt that it will work in South Africa since most municipalities have their own schedules and rates. Some have the same rates throughout the day and seasons, while other have different rates. And for Tesla to know they, they need to know all the municipalities' rates, and reprogram all the inverters in those areas accordingly. Allowing the end user, or installer solves the problem somewhat

Of course this will only work in civilised societies i.e. not us...

5 hours ago, SilverNodashi said:

most municipalities have their own schedules and rates

You configure it using the app that comes with the powerwall. I believe they already do this with their cars, so the car charges in the early hours of the morning, often only to a preset SoC, enough to get you to work... where there is a fast cheap charger... or so goes the idea.