gallderhen

Water supply interrupted in Roodepoort area, now looking at options

So in the Roodepoort and Kugersdorp area, we're going onto day 2 now of no water (they stole the power cables to the pump stations in Eikenhof, so looks like its going  to take a while to get water again to the areas).

Now, with this in mind, the wife and I decided that we need to come up with a plan B in case something like this happens again the future.

My thinking is a 10K or 20K tank between the water main and the house, but I have no idea how or if it would work, so I'd like to hear what everyone would suggest to create a "buffer" of usable water if the main goes dead again? Also, what kind of monitoring can one use to show that the main is dead?

(PS the wife says capturing rain water is an absolute no go for her :ph34r:).

-G-

47 minutes ago, gallderhen said:

My thinking is a 10K or 20K tank between the water main and the house, but I have no idea how or if it would work, so I'd like to hear what everyone would suggest to create a "buffer" of usable water if the main goes dead again?

You Idea would be fairly easy to implement. I would have 2 x 10000l tanks or what ever the size of storage you need and then supply one house from the tanks using a pressure pump. This means that the water in the tanks is always circulating and being replaced. Rainwater very rarely goes foul but municipal water usually has dissolved organic compounds and if stagnant will smell after a while.

53 minutes ago, gallderhen said:

Also, what kind of monitoring can one use to show that the main is dead?

One could have a inline pressure gauge or one could have a float switch in you  reserve tank(s) connected to an alarm and as soon as the level in your tanks drops a sufficient amount the alarm could be triggered to warn you the municipal supply is no longer refilling your tanks. You would not want the float switch triggered by normal variation due to usage. If you have two tanks you could have them in series (bottom of the first tank supplies the top of the second tank) and the float switch on the second tank and the variation would be much greater making your float switch more sensitive.

We have 4 tanks , total of 12000 liters . We collect water for veggies . After 6 years I cleaned 2 of them to get rid of sediment . I was surprised of the quality of the water . We use shade netting to keep most dirt out  . We installed a 5 Stage water purified and next time when there is no water we will use this rainwater. 

5 hours ago, gallderhen said:

My thinking is a 10K or 20K tank

TTT will tell you to think Needs vs Wants.

First level of defense is drinking water, also for cooking. 200 liters or so in a clean container and you're sorted. It's not even very expensive.

Second level is for washing. In Cape Town we learned you can get away with 50 liters per person per day, and this includes the drinking part mentioned above. In my home we easily manage this level, although the wash cycle on the washing machine uses ground water from my well.

Third level is luxury: I don't want my lifestyle to be impacted (too much).

So a 10kl tank, for you and the wife, that, about 100 days or 3 months of emergency water. Way overkill in my opinion. Work out the cost vs savings vs practicality. Spending R10k to store R50 worth of water is sometimes not a good idea :-)

Rand Water has a problem with pumping water due to a cable theft. The contractor only managed to source the joint now around 2pm and it seems that work will only be complete by tomorrow morning.

As a precaution in case water supply / pressure is reduced please reduce your water consumption.

Regards, Cllr Sergio Isa dos Santos
[27/05, 10:47 p.m.] Dira Johnson: Update.
They still battling with Rand Water pumping Station.
If you still have water please fill your drums.
JHB WATER running out of tankers.
Roaming tankers will be used.
Will update later.
Cllr Rashieda Landis
[27/05, 10:49 p.m.] Dira Johnson: السلام عليكم

All Homes in the Gillview/Chrisville/Winchester/Robertsham extension are currently  without water.

Brothers are more than welcome to get at the musallah as there is a borehole in place.

There is a tap  at the back entrance to fill up containers
62 vleiroos Winchester hills

9 minutes ago, ibiza said:

Brothers are more than welcome to get at the musallah as there is a borehole in place.

So no water for us Mushrikun then? :-P

Here is an idea ... get a portable pool with a cover.

As Plonkster rightfully said, I took my own advice and bought a portable pool with a first flow being a 220l drum.

So I have about 2400l of water on hand.

As stated before, that water goes to washing machine, with new soap we don't have to rinse, so it is about +-70l per wash, full load.

That 70l goes to toilets every time, as the toilets are the big users for us now. O, shower water too.

6 adults on 5000l consistent per month.

Drinking water, it tastes delicious, we get in bottles delivered from Aquazania. Enough stored for as long as we need. Family now actually drinks a lot of water.

Once I have this system perfected, maybe I get tanks WHEN the prices have dropped.