Mike

Wind Turbines

On 2/9/2016 at 6:25 AM, Mike said:

from 300w 12v up to 50kw  prices range from R6900 to R2,2mil excl for turbines, plus then controllers, data loggers, variable speed drives..essentially anything solar

Hi Mike

I was wondering given the range they offer if they had 500w (5 blade versions) or low wind speed versions of the 1kw?

Also can you run a smaller turbine on a larger controller to allow for upgrades of the turbine only (ie a bit of future proofing).

Regards

Mark

1 minute ago, Mark said:

Hi Mike

I was wondering given the range they offer if they had 500w (5 blade versions) or low wind speed versions of the 1kw?

Also can you run a smaller turbine on a larger controller to allow for upgrades of the turbine only (ie a bit of future proofing).

Regards

Mark

Hey Mark,

yep they now have 10w up to 100w vertical axis, also 600w horizontals, but will have to get pricing. I speak under correction and say the small unit have built in controllers and dump units so you could not use a larger controller. i will check up on Monday for you

Thanks for all of this info Mike. Turns out i have also put up a similar wind turbine from the same supplier a few months ago and really am glad to see how others find it operating.

Firstly, you have AWESOME wind... I knew our night time wind isn't great and my main motivation was for generating additional charge during cold front weather when solar doesn't manage to replace used energy. But, in the interior, even on cloudy, partly windy days i think the 3kw of panels still generate more than the 2kw turbine over 24h... Yes, it does contribute but ZAR/watt I could've added another 3kw of panels and floated batteries every single day, no matter what the weather be like I think. Since May when i put it up, i can count on my one hand the nights where wind managed to hold the battery bank above 50v. I have 16 x 190ah batteries installed.

The turbine looks cool though... I installed it using an old 9m high windmill stand. It was an old farmhouse we converted into living units, rented out.  Daily use is ave of 10kwh per day(24h) between 4 living units, 6kwh is during night time unfortunately with 6 tv's, 4 laptops and 5 fridge/freezers.

During initial installation i was always going to add more panels to the 3kw so plan was 2 x 5kva axperts (to allow for adding more kw solar - 3kw solar on each) and small backup generator for poor weather patches. the turbine then looked attractive as it's cost was equal to the saving now on one axpert, 1 kw of panels as well as the genny. But i am afraid the turbine is not bringing in the power and options i would've i had hoped for. We just do not have the wind resource here...

So starting to think maybe to try and revert back to original plan, adding the second axpert and more panels. Any one want to buy a basically new 2kw Zonhan (with extra long blades for 'low wind'), controller, dumpload and perhaps awesome vintage stand... (YES, we moved and re-erected it just as DESCRIBED HERE earlier on the thread... how it is done on the farm with tractor, people cables and chaos... can send photos at a minimal cost).

Anyhow, it was an experiment for me... If anybody else in the interior is wondering, it does help/supplement, but not enough I am afraid...

Slide4.JPG

IMG_20160427_113831.jpg

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Nice renovation.  Where are you based?

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark

We are in the original bundus - farm near Cedarville, between Matatiele and Kokstad - Kzn/EC boundary

5 hours ago, plaasjaap said:

Thanks for all of this info Mike. Turns out i have also put up a similar wind turbine from the same supplier a few months ago and really am glad to see how others find it operating.

Firstly, you have AWESOME wind... I knew our night time wind isn't great and my main motivation was for generating additional charge during cold front weather when solar doesn't manage to replace used energy. But, in the interior, even on cloudy, partly windy days i think the 3kw of panels still generate more than the 2kw turbine over 24h... Yes, it does contribute but ZAR/watt I could've added another 3kw of panels and floated batteries every single day, no matter what the weather be like I think. Since May when i put it up, i can count on my one hand the nights where wind managed to hold the battery bank above 50v. I have 16 x 190ah batteries installed.

The turbine looks cool though... I installed it using an old 9m high windmill stand. It was an old farmhouse we converted into living units, rented out.  Daily use is ave of 10kwh per day(24h) between 4 living units, 6kwh is during night time unfortunately with 6 tv's, 4 laptops and 5 fridge/freezers.

During initial installation i was always going to add more panels to the 3kw so plan was 2 x 5kva axperts (to allow for adding more kw solar - 3kw solar on each) and small backup generator for poor weather patches. the turbine then looked attractive as it's cost was equal to the saving now on one axpert, 1 kw of panels as well as the genny. But i am afraid the turbine is not bringing in the power and options i would've i had hoped for. We just do not have the wind resource here...

So starting to think maybe to try and revert back to original plan, adding the second axpert and more panels. Any one want to buy a basically new 2kw Zonhan (with extra long blades for 'low wind'), controller, dumpload and perhaps awesome vintage stand... (YES, we moved and re-erected it just as DESCRIBED HERE earlier on the thread... how it is done on the farm with tractor, people cables and chaos... can send photos at a minimal cost).

Anyhow, it was an experiment for me... If anybody else in the interior is wondering, it does help/supplement, but not enough I am afraid...

Slide4.JPG

IMG_20160427_113831.jpg

hey Plaasjaap,  i am very happy with mine, my batteries are nearly always above 50vdc and am running off grid now a days. i have the model above yours with autofurling and she gets to 2.8kw fair easy. for me it was all about keeping the batteries above 80% in poor weather . when we have bad days, my 22 x 300w panels do not float the batteries but now they do with the turbine. i might have a client for yours if Mark does not take it.....

Hi Mike

I'm out I'm afraid... no budget,  but I'm sure @plaasjaap will appreciate your help selling it along!!  Maybe sometime but not at the moment...;)

Regards

Mark

Hi again guys.

@Mike, have you ever tested to see if the Watt readings the Zonhan claims to be giving are realistic? I have a cheapie DC watt meter installed and it always reads about 50% less in Watts than what the 'blue box' turbine charge controller would claim, especially at lower speeds. I am more and more convinced the watt meter is correct - when the solar MPPT is floating (with constant loads) and the wind charge is coming and going the solar Watts 'dropped' by the solar MPPT is much more in line with what the independent watt meter reads than that of the wind charger...(if you get what i mean)?

6 hours ago, Tim Gard said:

Is there anyone here that would be interested in reengineering a wind turbine so that it out with twice as much power continuously?

The only way to do that would be to have an alternators / generator that could generate 2 it's original power.  Which in turn means you would need bigger blades. And a stronger base. And a bigger charge controller. So it's easier to just use a bigger wind turbine ;)

On ‎2016‎/‎05‎/‎20 at 10:36 AM, Chris Hobson said:

Someone is wanting to make a quick buck. What sized mill are you looking for? They sell for about 4-8K second hand depending on condition. Look at dispersal sales and get an older farmer (or a younger farmer who knows mills) to look it over. I would suggest if you do buy a mill to recondition it unless it is in mint condition. The most common problem is the bushes where the tail attaches. This wears and the tail is pretty close to the wheel when the tail is furled. A gust of wind blows the tail into the wheel (usually at night) and you arrive the next morning to find windmill-chop-suey. I had a mill that self-destructed in a similar manner when the mast bent in a high wind and the sails shredded themselves on the platform.

what speed winds do you have

eish

On 6/6/2016 at 10:44 AM, Mike said:

I want to divert from water a bit (sorry @TTT ;) ) so here goes...

@Mike - how is the WIND turbine doing - in use or just there for show(off) purposes...

53 minutes ago, Mark said:

I want to divert from water a bit (sorry @TTT ;) ) so here goes...

@Mike - how is the WIND turbine doing - in use or just there for show(off) purposes...

dropped it down as i have new neigbours right next door to me.....soo don't want them to complain about noise and to be honest, i had it in brake mode most of the time...hree and there in winter was it on. head etc packed in garage, mast still must fully dismantle..