PowerForum Solar Data Collection - using a Raspberry Pi 3 :-)

4 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

souped up their security

They've denied their own involvement in this from the start. That is, if the reddit thread on the topic is anything to go by. The exact vector used for the attack is still unknown, it seems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4m7ay6/teamviewer_has_been_hacked_they_are_denying/

• 2 weeks later...

Also on a completely different note, and probably nobody here cares one bit... but my arduino can->vedirect converter is working well enough that it can talk to the official vedirect_interface software. Few things not properly supported yet, but I can get charge values out of it. The purpose: To provide a way to interface the can-based controllers with the Rpi (which has no can port).

Interesting bit of info: I found out how hub-1 controls the MPPTs. There is a specific register to which you write a percentage, and the charge controller will limit the power to that percentage. It has a 60 second timeout. It's implemented exactly as I expected it to be. Since this info isn't in the official docs, I'll not mention the exact register number... but carefully watching the logs will reveal it :-)

Wow, that software is looking great. I just watched the video.

I am happy to test on the Infini 3KW.

I have a Pi lying around, also have the serial to USB, USB obviously, SNMP card, Mecer A890, Mac Mini, BMV702, arduino and IT knowledge so if you want to test on different platforms.

Any software currently working on the Infini 3KW? I thought I found some that works via serial cable, but by the time the serial cable arrived, I had forgotten the name of the software.

5 hours ago, Manie said:

We got Mqqt also working

Now you're talking!

Victron will also ship an mqtt service with the next version of the ccgx. The first pilot version is in 1.70, released earlier this week. Still having a bit of trouble making it build for the Rpi. There is a packaged version of mosquitto for the Rpi, but it is old and buggy. Fun times ahead as great minds seem to think alike.

On 2016/06/23 at 2:13 PM, The Terrible Triplett said:

This is THE cheapest VE-Direct to USB cable I have ever seen - R230.01 incl VAT! : http://www.sonopsolar.co.za/product/ccgx-to-bmv-700-cable/

I ordered it. I now know why it is so cheap. It's the BMV to CCGX cable, not the USB cable. It's a 4-wire TTL-to-TTL cable with the right connectors on both ends. The picture on the website is wrong.

Luckily I have a use for it, otherwise I'd be a bit more upset :-)

1 hour ago, plonkster said:

The picture on the website is wrong.

Luckily I have a use for it, otherwise I'd be a bit more upset :-)

I sincerely hope you are going to say something to the supplier, to at least fix the pic?

13 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

I sincerely hope you are going to say something to the supplier, to at least fix the pic?

Already contacted him.

For now then, the cheapest price on this cable remains around R550, at ExSolar (bar the occasional black some-day of the week sale from someone or other).

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016/02/24 at 11:42 PM, plonkster said:

And would you look what I just scratched out of the parts bin... you'd swear I remember having such a thing. Its a TTL->rs232 evaulation board, but it has jumpers so you can break out/disable any of the lines. So it should be easy to hook into rx and tx... :-) Why... because I'm the king of recycled electronics :-)

Edit: Darn-it, it's a 3.3V board. It's going to take work to make it work with the 5V system of the rest. Oh well... :-)

ttluart.jpg

Is this a USB - 485 board?