pvoutput.org

Gerald_db

3 hours ago, plonkster said:

TTT, for interest sake, the blue boys have actually run into a CPU-power issue. When they have lots of devices connected, reading them all repeatedly ends up taking too much CPU. So not everything is as efficient as it could be, but it is perhaps still prudent to keep in mind that there is a limit to how much you can do with one tablet/Rpi/whatever. If it was me, I'd just run two Raspberry Pi, just to keep it simple.

Chalk and cheese as we discussed on email.

We don't stress the device the reader is on at all, for as you pointed out, the more you add to it the more resources are needed and that is going to bite you in the end. CCGX as case sample.

So no 2 Pi's as my tablet uses the same power as a Pi, reading 6 devices as I showed you, whilst I use it for other things too. :P

2 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

CCGX as case sample.

To be fair, small-board ARM computer vs a more poweful thing.

Anyway, point was just to watch out, resource limits show up like a thief in the night. And if you are the proverbial guy with two systems, the nominal cost of another small-board computer compared to the development cost to make a system group things is another thing. It's old news... we all know this :-)

16 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

@Don tomorrow and every day I am watching ... nope, will see now and then but better I do not come ahead of you ne!?

I really don't mind guys ahead of me. Every now and then I would see someone running strong for the day and ahead of me. Then for fun I would load my panels to see if I can catch him. 

7 minutes ago, Don said:

Then for fun I would load my panels to see if I can catch him. 

So you tamper? :D

My systems are switch on and forget.

But one change and I should be able to run the panels harder 12 months of the year. But not today. Tomorrow, next week or whenever, with no tampering. 

No that is not tampering, haha. Manually adding kWh to your PVOutput figures is tampering. If my wife decides it is time to spring clean the house, no one will catch me, like today. The washing machine, tumble dryer and vacuum runs flat out the whole day. 

I have things that normally don't run. Swimming pool pump (for Jacuzzi) , 2 x heat pumps (3kW - geyser and 5kW - Heating Jacuzzi), 3 x 12 000 BTU aircons and 2 x 18 000 BTU aircons. I know exactly how much power each consumes. I would have a look at my current load and depending on how much extra load I want, I would start switching on those items. 

22 minutes ago, Mark said:

@Don those aircons must have frozen you yesterday ;)

Lol, no, they are in the bedrooms and we don't go there during the day, except the cat. I had the swimming pool pump, 2 x heat pumps and 2 x 12 000 BTU aircons going the whole day. That was over and above the normal day to day stuff like washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher being switched on at random times during the day. At times I exceeded my load a quite a bit, but that is why I have batteries. :)  At least my panels were running flat out.

Mmmm. All this talk about tinkering makes me think. Perhaps a system (using MQTT of course) to automate the tampering will satisfy TTT's "No Touch" approach.

Like:

If outside temperature> 30deg, switch and PV production > than demand, then switch on AC to 18 Deg.

Something simular for Geyser.  

Mmm, Thinking some more....Pi => ICC=>MQTT Server=>MQTT client (Remote)=> AC/Geyser

Not quite QED, but you all get the idea?

2 hours ago, Don said:

Lol, no, ....

Naaa, I thought about it. One guy goes and adds figures, you go and add loads where as you said " we don't go there during the day". That's tampering. (ROFL)

This is a good one to go by ...

14 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

TTT's "No Touch" ...

Is acceptable if like in ... 

14 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

If outside temperature> 30deg, switch and PV production > than demand, then switch

For I have a plan like that to increase my usage to match the panels better for I have a small little caveat, like each morning batts must be charged first for I use batts every night to 80%. That is why you see me way below the top oaks in the mornings and then I sprint up the list until the min SOC of 90% is reached when I go back to Esscum, sorry Eskom late afternoon.

So no fiddling ... los alles net so.

12 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Naaa, I thought about it. One guy goes and adds figures, you go and add loads where as you said " we don't go there during the day". That's tampering. (ROFL)

The watts I produce, comes from my panels, not my keyboard.

That's what it's all about. Getting max watts out of your panel. My system is quite new and i'm still tweaking but i must say@don, your tracker impress! Thats what it's all about, why get four hours peak sun when you can get 8?
I've got space for 6 more panels but i want to work them to the max so i'm designing and building a simple 2 axis solar tracker to maximise my pv output.
Only thing i've got is wind issues. With a sail like yours i don't want my house to sail down the road.lol
But hey. I don't see pvoutput as an competition, more of a model to where i need to go. But fiddling with you data isn't going to do it for me. Switch it on, forget it and check in once in a few weeks.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Czauto said:

Switch it on, forget it and check in once in a few weeks.

That is what I do. You can go have a look at my figures. I think my average efficiency is 4.2 or something. My panels produce what I require. Yesterday was an exception. I went out to improve on my previous best. If I installed a GTI or Infini and my panels ran flat out every day, I could probably achieve an average efficiency of 8.0 - 9.0 with the tracker. I would struggle a bit when it is overcast or rains. :)

The only thing that I wonder sometimes about PVO is your data gets send every 5 min. Then your generation needs to be calculated according to those numbers so a lot of those figures is assumed numbers.  The reason why you are logging data is to check / see if your system is performing correctly and hopefully pickup problems long before they become seriously . So if you do manipulate die figures your are only BS,ing yourself.. 

But I must admit it is always lekker to see your name in the top charts ,, us boys always want to be ahead... Maybe one day I'll be there as well.. 

Now where to find that extra load ...

Czauto,

My design is similar to this. I wil use one of these 2 axis tracker systems on ebay with 2 linear actuators, controller, solar sensor, etc. Whole kit is something like 189usd. You build your own frame, connect the actuators, set it up and let it be. I hope its that easy. Lol

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Czauto said:

y design is similar to this. I wil use one of these 2 axis tracker systems on ebay with 2 linear actuators, controller, solar sensor, etc. Whole kit is something like 189usd. You build your own frame, connect the actuators, set it up and let it be. I hope its that easy. Lol

Morning CZ

You could use an actuator on one axis. The axis that does the least work and a windscreen wiper motor on the other.

11 hours ago, Don said:

I have looked Salt Rock Solar. He switches on at 10 and off just after midnight.  PV Output has a zero for midnight and the next data point it 10 am. It draws a straight line between zero at 0:30 and what ever he is producing at 10 am. Yes the graph is compressed but the maths is the same and so he starts with a whack. I am not sure whether he is doing this on purpose of he is a night owl and only gets up at 10 am as Mark suggested.

@Don how is that for switch on and forget systems, with a stock standard everyday load. :D

Am going to push a bit more from the system once I figured out how to auto switch the BMV's relay. Then the numbers should climb some more.

But these numbers are pretty much my standard usage on good sunny days.

2017-03-24_16-32-42.jpg