Fridge

27 minutes ago, cvzyl said:

Hi ILuvmyXJ

No, not yet. I feel bad throwing out a working (though irritating from an energy point of view) piece of equipment. I am leaning more towards the Bosch units mentioned on here since they have excellent power consumption (advertised) despite my disappointing experience with Bosch. Will have to remodel the kitchen a bit to fit them in though as I would want the fridge and freezer next to each other and won't be able to fit them in the existing space. Another reason why I'm delaying.

C

Bit the bullet today... We have been without a fridge for 2 weeks now,  so pretty desperate. Will post if it doesn't work out. Seems great right now,  I can tell you. 

IMG_20160610_162101_HDR_1465568756068.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guys & any Gals here

This is not scientific response, just a small experience that might be worthwhile testing... It seemed to work for me, but that might just have been the specific environment/equipment...

Have an OLD Kelvinator fridge, that was playing up and kept cycling for at least 50% of the day, even when set to low... Since my budget doesn't allow me to replace, i had a friend in the industry come and look when the thermostat broke... We regassed the fridge/freezer with 50% more than the manufacturer setting, at my recommendation because I thought there might still be a leak (hoping I would get a few weeks before calling out a ragasser again)... There was no leak, but have noticed that the fridge only turns on 3/4 times a day compared to the 20+ it used to. It's worth a shot, especially if you think your fridge is poked. No promises or guarentees, this is just my experience (and you will see from my blog I have had a lot of bad ones too)

• 1 year later...

Afternoon!

Two years ago I installed a Bosch fridge-freezer in an off-grid place which I built - model KGW36XL30S, A++, 90W, 226kWh/year (619Wh/day).  It's still running beautifully.  I measured consumption over a period of 3 days, and it was spot on at arount 600Wh/day.

That model is no longer in stock. For the place that I'm building now (also off grid), I'm looking at the similar Bosch Fridge-freezer KGN46XI32, A++, 160W, 258kWh/year.  My concern is the 160W, vs the previous model's 90W, although the annual kWh is similar.   Should I be worried about the almost double wattage? 

55 minutes ago, Bush Man said:

Should I be worried about the almost double wattage?

In terms of total energy use, probably not. The only thing to keep in mind is that an induction motor needs about 5 times nominal to start up, so compared to the 90W compressor (I have one myself, they need around 450W to start), this one might need about a kilowatt. So size the inverter appropriately taking other loads into consideration too and it should be fine. I think. :-)

Thanks! Inverter is a 3kW Axpert, with 8 x 200 (260) Ah Omnipowers and 12 x 250W panels, so start-up current should be fine.

I wonder why two similar models would have such a large difference on wattage? Is it possible that the new model has a "turbo" function and only uses the 160W when that is switched on, otherwise only using around 90-100W?  Or would the 160W be a fixed figure, with the compressor running for shorter periods than for the 90W model?

Will buy, measure and revert for posterity in any event.

29 minutes ago, Bush Man said:

would the 160W be a fixed figure, with the compressor running for shorter periods than for the 90W model? 

I'd expect the latter to be the case. It will run for shorter periods. The amount of energy it needs will depend on 1) efficiency and 2) insulation of the cooling area, so all other things being the same, I expect it will just run less.

3 hours ago, Bush Man said:

Do you possibly know at what watts the Axpert's additional cooling kicks in?

No idea. I'm not even sure I know what an Axpert is... :-P

7 hours ago, Bush Man said:

Do you possibly know at what watts the Axpert's additional cooling kicks in?

Axpert cooling fans are controlled by various temperature sensors, not by wattage output.

The cooling fans will not be a major consideration in your system design, if you add up all the efficiency losses in an average PV system compared to a theoretical perfect system I would be surprised if cooling fans made up more than 1%.

Thx! My concern was more that the Axpert cooling fans would start every time the fridge starts up, which would be noisy and add to the Axpert's wear.  From my recollection with the first installation though, the Axpert's additional fans only kick in somewhere past 1kW.  In addition, the fridge's supposed 800W start-up draw would only be for a second or so, probably in any event too short to trigger the Axpert's additional fans.

• 1 year later...

Not another Samsung for me... I bought a fridge in 2015 paid over R10 000. 4 years later it has an internal leak which is not repairable tbe pipes at the bck of the fridge ice up so water does not go bck into the draining tray at the bck of fridge but into the fridge itself thus rotting all my perishables. Now freezer has given in completely and still no joy from Samsung. Worst company ever to deal with. They just not interested in customer care and very blaze of the fact that its a manufactures problem and that a few others with the same model are experiencing the same problem. I'm. So disappointed in Samsung as a brand. Not again thank you.