Wetkit

Solar Panel - Roof Mounting

Ok, so what I used to mount the panels is equipment used in standard commercial electrical installations.

The product is called Unistrut or P1000. You can buy it at any Electrical retailer or directly from Cabstrut.

Mounting the panels was done with spring nuts and large washers. The spring nuts fits into the Unistrut and the washer is used to keep the panel tight.

Since I did the initial install, I have also seen a product that is not expencive that clips onto any PV panel and then clips into the Unistrut. Only disadvantage is once fixed, nearly impossable to remove the PV panel.

Great job.

1 hour ago, Wetkit said:

Since I did the initial install, I have also seen a product that is not expencive that clips onto any PV panel and then clips into the Unistrut. Only disadvantage is once fixed, nearly impossable to remove the PV panel.

The Cabstrut nut is a very cheap and easy method of bolting panels to P1000. Your method has some "security" to it in that the panels are a bitch to steal!

image.png.313156067d59257f087bb48dd42eae6f.png

This is the last one I made, to fit 3 x 300W modules side by side. 8 Hanger bolts going into the beam below. Aluminium frame from angle-aluminium. That's just over R1000 worth of aluminium you see there. The hanger bolts was around R300. Bolted together with stainless steel bolts, and I have a aluminium rail (got it at OnTrack) on top with the standard little twist-in nuts.

I already own a mitre saw with an aluminium blade though. That makes it super quick to build things like these.

16904685_10154915975285619_2314331144675906802_o.jpg