Solar Panel - Roof Mounting

Wetkit

Ok, so what I used to mount the panels is equipment used in standard commercial electrical installations.

The product is called Unistrut or P1000. You can buy it at any Electrical retailer or directly from Cabstrut.

Mounting the panels was done with spring nuts and large washers. The spring nuts fits into the Unistrut and the washer is used to keep the panel tight.

Since I did the initial install, I have also seen a product that is not expencive that clips onto any PV panel and then clips into the Unistrut. Only disadvantage is once fixed, nearly impossable to remove the PV panel.

Great job.

1 hour ago, Wetkit said:

Since I did the initial install, I have also seen a product that is not expencive that clips onto any PV panel and then clips into the Unistrut. Only disadvantage is once fixed, nearly impossable to remove the PV panel.

The Cabstrut nut is a very cheap and easy method of bolting panels to P1000. Your method has some "security" to it in that the panels are a bitch to steal!

image.png.313156067d59257f087bb48dd42eae6f.png

This is the last one I made, to fit 3 x 300W modules side by side. 8 Hanger bolts going into the beam below. Aluminium frame from angle-aluminium. That's just over R1000 worth of aluminium you see there. The hanger bolts was around R300. Bolted together with stainless steel bolts, and I have a aluminium rail (got it at OnTrack) on top with the standard little twist-in nuts.

I already own a mitre saw with an aluminium blade though. That makes it super quick to build things like these.

16904685_10154915975285619_2314331144675906802_o.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 2018/04/10 at 9:58 AM, Wetkit said:

Ok, some foto's from another install that was done for work, using similar products.

20150623_114325.jpg

20150623_114335.jpg

Are the clamps on the sink roof sheeting also a cab strut product? I like what  looks like no drilling when using those clamps. 

• 8 months later...

For the DIY guys that don’t  want to spend plenty on tile brackets, I managed to make brackets for some extra panels that I need to install on my roof, the brackets need a bit of hammering and drilling though but might be worth the try. I bought galvanized gutter brackets from Mica for for R12/ea and flatten them a bit with a 4pound hammer, drill some holes and you ready to go.F5889DCF-8FC6-435A-8D60-7CF060E0A2B3.thumb.jpeg.d89d1b36fb4423b034e740a1c3fc3f5f.jpeg