New Axpert 5 kVA patched firmware based on 72.60

Coulomb

New patched firmware is posted here:

http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=4332&PID=63036&title=pip4048ms-inverter#63036

Edit: my apologies! I forgot thr all-important word "patched". So there is nothing new from Voltronics here, but a new patched firmware based on 72.60 rather than 72.40.

Edited by Coulomb

25 minutes ago, Chris Hobson said:

It is patched firmware from Coulomb and Weber so yes big changes.

I'm running this patch (The Lead Acid version) with no issues.  OK I don't have a Gennie and only a 200ah bank.

Coulomb can correct me but its from December 2015 - don't know of any new versions.

24 minutes ago, viper_za said:

I'm running the previous patched one they have.
Now looking for other changes Voltronic introduced to this version

The changes from 72.40 to 72.60 seem to be essentially limited to supporting the new hardware with 80 A MPPT(s). So if you're happily running the lead acid patch, then there is no real need to update. Sorry, I should have mentioned that for this audience.

If you are running a LiFePO₄ battery, then you may benefit from the higher range for back to utility voltage (parameter 12), and if you have higher than average parasitic loads, you may benefit from the divide by 24 criterion rather than the divide by 30 criterion, for deciding when to transition from bulk/absorb to float.

There are also cosmetic changes like the "font" rendering, so if you're one of those types that has to have the latest and greatest... 

6 hours ago, Mark said:

I dont see a new version on Page 1 of the AEVA thread.

Sorry, the index page was a bit ambiguous, especially if you are mainly interested in the lead acid version (as most of you here are). Hopefully clearer now.

Mark, I replied about the same time as your question; sometimes the post seems to disappear. Perhaps refresh the page. the essence was: no, no dramatic changes, unless you have a machine that has and needs 72.60 firmware.

Has anyone tried @Coulomb 's patched firmware. I have 2 x Axpert MKS 5Kva (Proline branded) with solar panels connected to one only. Every night parameter 01 changes from SBU to Sti and I have to change it when the solar panels start generating power in the morning. A member at TinkerCity suggested connecting 3 of my 9 panels to the slave inverter which has no panels connected at present. Any thoughts on the matter will be much appreciated.

I'd be very surprised if the patched firmware fixed the problem of parameter 01 changing every night.

Have you checked that the two inverters separately (with the other turned off) are set the same? Just grasping at straws here. The other thought is monitoring software; it may be changing modes and reconfiguring it may be needed.

@Coulomb I have a question before we move the Axpert switching back into our new system. This has been bothering me for a few months now.

Can switching the inverter using external software cause or have any negative effects over time?

Is there anything I must be aware of, anything a no-go zone, seeing as I do not use Axpert myself, am doing it for others.

Hi TTT

@Coulomb can confirm but a while ago I did raise the issue of the number of writes to the "EEPROM chip ??" when switching from UTL to SOL/SNB etc, but at the time this was seen to be a non issue given that you would probably only switch 2-3 times per day and the hardware could handle 10 of 1000's of writes.

Edit:  

Regards

Mark

PS: Looking forward to testing SolWeb V2!!

Thanks Mark! Yes, now I recall that thread, not quite the same thing I am now asking, and a definitive conclusion was not reached.

I always say, once you have reveled in the good, start planning for what can go wrong, for something is going to go wrong. Plan for that.

Seeing how temperamental reading devices can be, they stop for now reason, I have been wondering what if. What if a faulty unit goes in and the supplier speculates that due to the altering of internal settings, the device "broke" and therefor the warranty is cancelled? Or a person goes on holiday, or does not check the system for it is working so cool for weeks, meanwhile something got confused and the battery bank was overused?

We are on untried and untested territory here. So I am asking, what are the risks / dangers, and if there are, how do we mitigate them?

With my Victron equipment, if you want to alter anything on the inverters using their software, there are very clear, no nonsense warnings.

If I am overcautious, fine, if there are risks, I want to know them.

EDIT: If you ask me: TTT, will you develop software to adjust Victron Inverters?
My answer will be: No. Use the software they provide.

BUT, having said that, I am going to have the BMV adjusted programmatically based on certain T&C. ;)

10 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Can switching the inverter using external software cause or have any negative effects over time?

The two possible issues I'm aware of are EEPROM wear and contact wear on the line relays. Most of us would have fridges and freezers as loads, and their motors have significant inductance. That can be hard on relay contacts. However, the inverter seems to sync with the line, so switching should be moderately soft.

So overall, I see the risks as low. Why not use it to its full potential?

@Coulomb I have set the inverter settings the same on both  with both turned on. The first inverter was installed in August and the 2nd in September so I doubt that excessive write to eproms are the cause as some suggested. I have a vague recollection that the problem started after the second inverter was added. Will try doing the settings one at a time with the other switched off. Perhaps I can just turn off one tonight and see what happens. Does anyone know if one can turn off an inverter in a cluster without ill effects. I use the latest version of AICC-RPi running on a Raspberry Pi 3 to control the cluster. Very little switching between solar and grid happens at present as we have had sunny days and during the day I run off solar and batteries. Then I switch to grid for cooking etc. in the evening. Before going to bed I manually switch to batteries using AICC. The graph shows about a 2 hour run on batteries to 80% SOC at which point AICC switches back to grid. When I check early morning after sunrise setting 01 is back on Sti. If turning off the slave tonight does not make a difference, perhaps I should connect 3 of the 9 panels to the slave inverter. Is there anyone else with parallel inverters and panels on only one having the same problem. I would suspect a flaw in the firmware not catering effectively for such a setup.

Ebrsa have you checked with Jaco on the AICC setting the back to PV in the morning. Maybe the command is not propagating to both inverters and leaving the slave on grid.

I would share the pv between the 2 inverters anyway. You could gain mppt efficiencies this way.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice Mark and Jaco. I will shut down AICC tonight and see what happens. If the problem persists I will switch off the slave without panels overnight and see if that cures the problem. The RPi is connected to the Axpert with a USB extender but I will move it to the Axpert and connect directly tomorrow. I doubt that AICC plays a role as it worked fine when I had one inverter. Jaco do you perhaps know is any AICC users with clusters also have panels on only one inverter.

Does anyone know what the maximum load in Kw is for the 5Kva Axpert when in grid mode.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally solved almost all my problems by connecting 3 panels to the slave Axpert and 6 to the master. Also AICC runs on a Raspberry Pi 3 connected to the master Axpert with USB without an extender. The RPi is connected to my LAN with Cat5 Ethernet cable.

However the bulk charge voltage is around 54V and should be 58.4V, the maximum the Axperts are capable of. My Trojan T105 T2 technology flooded batteries data sheet specifies 59.28V bulk charge voltage and 54V float voltage. I believe it is due to the shortcomings in Axpert firmware as explained by @Coulomb.  I see that you have mentioned that you are using @Coulomb 's firmware @Mark. Do you have any advice for me and did you encounter any problems in installing the firmware. 

Hi ebrsa

Set bulk to 58.4 on the Axpert.  That will at least get you close.  If you don't have enough panels to get you there then use AC to do this. Set the Amps for AC charging to 10% of your bank Ah's and do a bulk in the evening or 1 evening a week.

Regards

Mark

Yes. Something I'd forgotten is that the  manufacturer's firmware bug doesn't apply to utility charging. The utility charger can ramp up the charge current fast enough to pass the terminating current criterion so it does a proper bulk/ absorb charge.

Thanks for your advice Mark and Coulomb. I have set my maximum amps at 40A as the battery bank is 450AH. I have read somewhere that the maximum charge current should be between C/10 and C/6.7 so I am on the conservative side. The batteries charge to 100% during the day according to the BMV700. I just do not see the charge voltage at 58.4V on AICC. I have managed to force this by turning off the panel breakers when there is bright sunlight and then turning them on but that only works sometimes. To charge using the grid will defeat the use of solar and I have AICC set to switch to grid at 70% SOC which should result in acceptable battery life. So I am sure Coulomb's firmware patch will do the trick. I guess I had better drum up the courage and load it. Are you running Coulomb's latest firmware Mark?