Sasol Solar Challenge 2018

Chris Hobson

It was mooted that Powerforum chaps enter the Sasol Solar Challenge 2018. After some discussion it seems 4 sponsored cars will be available for tech groups to race. The Hungarian team have made the mould of their 2016 car available for this purpose. At this stage I cannot participate but I can perhaps assist in getting the right people to talk to @Energy or some nominated big cheese.

I am sure something like this would be a blast but the team would have to be dedicated and team members would need to put in a serious amount of time and perhaps even a bit of Tom. The motors cost R250k and there are 4 of them. Panels are expensive as the cells for the 4m2 panels that each car is allowed are selected out of 2 million cells that are individually tested. Then there are some overpriced batteries to go with it all.

So if you chaps are serious I cannot make promises, but we can perhaps put in a bid on one of the sponsored cars.

19 minutes ago, PaulF007 said:

This takes me out of the race - more of a rys , vleis en aartappel type of guy , Ill have some salad from time to time , come to think of it I had some KFC on sunday ... 

The Namibians are famous for saying "As ons slaai wil hê dan slag ons 'n vark!".

In spite of a restricted diet I look like a rys, vleis and aartappel guy.

1 minute ago, Chris Hobson said:

In spite of a restricted diet I look like a rys, vleis and aartappel guy.

I know the feeling. Had to pull up the handbrake at the beginning of the year , got onto one of those measure and weigh machines at the mall. As I got on and paid my money the speaker blasted at its loudest " please note this is not a toy only one person please!"  all went dead quiet there after /.../ 

• 2 years later...
On 2016/10/25 at 11:47 AM, PaulF007 said:

I know the feeling. Had to pull up the handbrake at the beginning of the year , got onto one of those measure and weigh machines at the mall. As I got on and paid my money the speaker blasted at its loudest " please note this is not a toy only one person please!"  all went dead quiet there after /.../ 

I don't suppose this ever got anywhere? 2020 early-bird (Half price) registrations are ending in a few months. It would be really challenging and rewarding to be a part of a team for this. I've seen teams spend big bucks on this project even when manufacturing as much of it as possible themselves. Usually at least R2m.