Connecting battery to Inverter AND Pi using RJ45 Ethernet Extender Splitter

MdF

Morning All,

Is it possible to connect the battery to the inverter AND the Solar Assistant Pi using an RJ45 Ethernet Extender Splitter Network Cable?

I would like to see more details of the battery which are currently not available on SA as the system uses Inverter Settings to read the battery. I am not able to see the State of Health (SoH) or the Cycles data so was thinking a direct connection from the battery to the Pi would provide that?

Battery currently connected via the CAN port directtly to the Inverter. I'm using a Deye 5kw inverter with the 48v 100Ah 5.1kWh LiFePO4 battery.

Thanks,

MdF

SA_NetworkSplitter_26Sep2021-01.png

I have seen some splitters like that that allow you to run 2 x 100Mbps network links over a single cable by using 2 pairs of the main cable for each network connection. CAN is a bus topology and designed for multiple devices to be connected onto it. I do think though your way probably wont work. It might work if you connect the battery to solar assistant and solar assistant controls the inverter like the way it works with the axpert inverters.

The battery uses a Can bus to communicate with the inverter - as such there are 3 cables that are of interest Can+ (H), Can -(L) and ground.

In many instances you will not need to worry about the GND connection.

So you can connect anything onto the bus to see what is being transmitted - but you will need to do some detective work to work out what the information is.

The easiest way to connect in is to get a Dual Can hat for the Raspberry Pi - you can then (in software) tell the pi to copy everything backwards and forwards between the two ports - you would then connect one end to the battery and the other end to the inverter.

Then as well as copying the packets you will need to capture them and try to decode them on the fly.

Craig