Pi running Solar Assistant periodically disappears off my network

Afternoon All,

Since starting with SA, I sometimes see that the Pi disappears off my local network. It usually does this for about 10 or 15 minutes and then returns by itself. Sometimes it will disappear for half a day and I try to reboot the Pi using the Bluetooth connection.

In all instances, no data is lost.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this? Is there something on my network that I can try and look at regarding the Pi connection?

I have contacted support at SA but they have no idea why its dropping off my network.

MdF

Is it connected with Wifi? Are you using a USB Wifi adapter? If so, it might be the USB adapter itself, or its interaction with either your router or your router and something else on the Wifi, likely a printer.

Guest Sarel

Easy test, run a cable for the network if you on wifi. Either move the PI to a different location, or run a temp cable to the router. In 2 or 3 days you should know if its wifi or not.

Morning All,

The Pi is connected via wifi to the router. Signal to wifi at the Pi is 3 or 4 bars.

No, the Pi is not connected using a USB adapter. The Pi uses its own inbuilt wifi to do this.

The difficulty with connecting the Pi to the router directly is the distance to the router - about 20m and not practical at this time. Will need some planning to do this.

Regarding interference from other hardware on the network - well, the Pi was off at 6am this morning with nothing by way of hardware being used on the network.

--------------------------

Some research on the interweb suggests that the Pi could have Power Management turned on and that it is going to Sleep at some point. A suggestion is for Power Management to be turned off on the Pi?

MdF

On 2021/10/03 at 2:32 PM, MdF said:

Afternoon All,

Since starting with SA, I sometimes see that the Pi disappears off my local network. It usually does this for about 10 or 15 minutes and then returns by itself. Sometimes it will disappear for half a day and I try to reboot the Pi using the Bluetooth connection.

In all instances, no data is lost.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this? Is there something on my network that I can try and look at regarding the Pi connection?

I have contacted support at SA but they have no idea why its dropping off my network.

MdF

Hi MDF , if you connect your pi with keyboard and monitor , you can run a ping test from the terminal to your router address. You can set ping interval and optionally redirect output to a text file. You will soon pick up if the connection  is bad , jittery or even times out.   If it is bad , move your wife router to close proximity to your pi and redo the test. Soon you will discover if the IP transport level is your problem or not.

Thanks Dropkick.

Update:

So, whilst looking at ways of laying temp network cable yesterday, I happened to move the Pi about a meter from where it was currently sitting. It connected to the wifi immediately.

I have left it where it is for now and will see how the Pi runs for the next few days. This may simply have been the Pi being located in the wrong place 🥴

MdF

Here's something very bizarre I noticed about my Pi last week. I had my Pi right up against my battery cable connections to the inverter (this was during testing Solar Assistant). Noticed some strangeness - the Pi would occasionally do a boot loop, restarting itself and occasionally drop off the wifi connection. Moved it far away from cabling and it settled down. Chalked it down to some sort of magnetic interference - called it a day - and forgot I ever had the issue. :D

Was a weird one.

6 minutes ago, JoeyhZA said:

Here's something very bizarre I noticed about my Pi last week. I had my Pi right up against my battery cable connections to the inverter (this was during testing Solar Assistant). Noticed some strangeness - the Pi would occasionally do a boot loop, restarting itself and occasionally drop off the wifi connection. Moved it far away from cabling and it settled down. Chalked it down to some sort of magnetic interference - called it a day - and forgot I ever had the issue. :D

Was a weird one.

My Pi was sitting on top of the battery case close to the battery cables. Could have been "interference" as well 😲

Guest Sarel
2 minutes ago, MdF said:

My Pi was sitting on top of the battery case close to the battery cables. Could have been "interference" as well 😲

Two things are important for WiFi comms and electronics in general. One is signal to noise ratio. In this case it may be that the interference from the Inverter & battery system could drown out the WiFi signal. The other issue is of EMI/RFI. If the PI is shielded (a metal type case), it will reduce or vastly reduce interference from outside and keep whatever the PI generate, mostly inside. Plastic cases not al all. If the WiFi antennal is still inside the metal case, it may reduce the WiFi signal and slow down the WiFi speed to boot.

There are lots of EMI/RFI around us, lightning generates a lot, digital device all generate a lot but at lower levels, some lighys may generate, chargers generate a lot normally so do induction stoves, microwaves etc etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021/10/05 at 10:02 AM, MdF said:

So, having moved the Pi to this new position away from the battery and cables etc, the Pi has only "disappeared" off the system once in the past 3 weeks 😀