New Solar planning and design guidelines

Sarel

11 minutes ago, Sarel said:

Lastly on the generator capacity you should consider that in an off-grid situation, you generator should have enough power to carry at least some loads and be able to charge you battery bank. Sizing for this is a bit involved. Firstly how much current can you use to charge the battery with, ie. how much can the battery accept safely? Then how much on top of that do you need to carry loads? Can you adjust the battery charger to limit charging current o a lesser value? Or are the charger max amperage less than what the battery can take?

Next point to consider for generator sizing is the bigger the battery, the longer it will take to charge. How long do you have to get the battery charged? All these point will need consideration and compromises as the budget will not be infinite.

Many thanks. Certainly a lot of food for thought and yes "what will be the compromises."  The make and reliability of the inverter will be my next port of call. I have decided to go with local battery manufacturer Hubble as I am in the Western Cape  in the Klein Karroo approx 200kms from Cape Town   in picturesque Mcgregor.  Knowing they are  local is reassuring.

9 hours ago, Newbie Dave said:

Many thanks. Certainly a lot of food for thought and yes "what will be the compromises."  The make and reliability of the inverter will be my next port of call. I have decided to go with local battery manufacturer Hubble as I am in the Western Cape  in the Klein Karroo approx 200kms from Cape Town   in picturesque Mcgregor.  Knowing they are  local is reassuring.

Good choice, their AM series uses BYD cells, one of the top ten manufacturers in the world today.