Growatt 5kv Settings

Hi All,

I have just upgraded my solar system from a Growatt 3KW (SPF3000 TL-HVM) inverter with 4 x 330W panels to a Growatt 5KW (SPF5000 ES) inverter with 12 panels - 6 x 330W, 6 x 335W (I know this isn't recommended but I can't find anyone here selling the same panels anymore. Seems like no one is bringing them in right now. I take small comfort in the knowledge that the panels are from the same manufacturer and model line.  I have 4 x Narada 200AH batteries. Going from a 24v battery bank to a 48v battery bank was a little confusing for me at first but I think I'm getting my head around it now. I just wanted to know if the below settings are correct or if they should be tweaked. My priority is to keep the batteries fully charged as much as possible while still using solar to power my loads during the day. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

01. OUTPUT SOURCE PRIORITY - SUB (Seems like a new setting. Description says it's a mix of solar first and utility first where solar is prioritized but utility is used in conjunction with the solar to power the loads when solar isn't enough. Battery only powers loads when neither solar or utility is available).

02. MAXIMUM CHARGING CURRENT - 50A (I've set this based on battery spec sheet which states max charging current at 0.25C).

11. UTILITY CHARGING CURRENT - 50A (Basically just mirroring setting 02).

12. BACK TO UTILITY VOLTAGE - 50v (On the 3KV inverter I had set this to 24.5v based on @Coulomb recommendation to protect batteries. I wanted to do the same thing on this inverter. I had calculated this at 49v but decided to set it to 50v just to be safe).

13. BACK TO BATTERY VOLTAGE - 54v (I'm not sure whether I should set this slightly higher. I noticed during an overcast day that the batteries will charge with utility until they hit this voltage. They stay at this voltage for about a minute before returning to solar charging. Is this normal?).

19. CV CHARGING VOLTAGE - 56.4v (This is the default value. The battery spec sheet puts this at 2.35vpc if I'm understanding it correctly. That works out to 56.4v anyway so default seems to be in line with battery specs on this).

20. FLOATING CHARGE VOLTAGE - 54v (As with setting 19, this is the default value but also matches what the battery spec sheet states).

43. BATTERY EQUILISATION - DISABLED (I've left this disabled for now until I can do more research and figure out exactly how this is meant to work. I've read that it helps keep batteries running at near optimal but also that running it too frequently can reduce battery lifespan).

3 hours ago, Darknight said:

I have 4 x Narada 200AH batteries.

Are they lead acid? It sounds like it. I believe that Narada also make lithium battery packages with BMS.

Your settings seem reasonable.

I assume that the Growatts still have the premature float bug, so it would be good to use timed absorb (if available) or equalisation (with equalisation voltage the same as the absorb voltage) to fully charge the battery.

Or have Growatt grown beyond their Axpert clone beginnings and fixed this bug?

8 hours ago, Coulomb said:

Are they lead acid? It sounds like it.

They are lead acid.

8 hours ago, Coulomb said:

I assume that the Growatts still have the premature float bug, so it would be good to use timed absorb (if available) or equalisation (with equalisation voltage the same as the absorb voltage) to fully charge the battery.

Or have Growatt grown beyond their Axpert clone beginnings and fixed this bug?

I have no idea if they've fixed this bug or not. The inverter screen has a more detailed interface than the one on the 3KW inverter but I'm not sure if that's an indication of whether the software has been patched for this. The battery spec sheet states Equalize and Cycle Service at 2.35V/[email protected] degrees celcius. The spec sheet doesn't really provide an outright absorb voltage but I'm assuming this would be the same as the CV voltage of 56.4v. I've read that auto-equalization can be reasonable for short periods (~60mins) every 30 to 60 days. With that in mind, I'm assuming I'd configure the equalisation settings as follows;

43. BATTERY EQUALIZATION - ENABLED

44. BATTERY EQUALIZATION VOLTAGE - 56.4v

45. BATTERY EQUALIZED TIME - 60mins

46. BATTERY EQUALIZED TIMEOUT - I'm not sure what this setting is for. The default value is 120mins. I'm assuming this is like a cooldown time between equalizations if equalization is performed more frequently.

47. EQUALIZATION INTERVAL - 30 days

48. EQUALIZATION ACTIVATED IMMEDIATELY - ON (To equalize the batteries now instead of waiting for the next 30 days. I'm basing this off the fact that the batteries haven't been equalized since they were installed on the 3KV inverter in a 24v setup.)

@Darknight I can't say I noticed any charging issues when I was using lead acid batteries. SUB(combine/blend) seems to be the best setting for a small bank of lead acid batteries mainly just keep them for loadshedding. The only issue with SUB is that your usage numbers won't make sense. Your grid usage will match your pv production on the monitoring app but if you look at the inverter screen you will see that you are not using much from the utility grid.

It works even better when you get lithium batteries unlike what I read about voltronics axperts so @CoulombI would say that they are an improvement. 

NB:you do have to check compatibility before buying the battery.

4 minutes ago, Buyeye said:

The only issue with SUB is that your usage numbers won't make sense. Your grid usage will match your pv production on the monitoring app but if you look at the inverter screen you will see that you are not using much from the utility grid.

I haven't really noticed this on the app to be honest. The graph shows my grid usage to be much lower than my solar production during the day. If you use the online page through the web browser you'll get more accurate information regarding how much grid and solar power is used.

18 hours ago, Darknight said:

I haven't really noticed this on the app to be honest. The graph shows my grid usage to be much lower than my solar production during the day. If you use the online page through the web browser you'll get more accurate information regarding how much grid and solar power is used.

Maybe it was a firmware issue with mine. I will check when we have lots of cloudy and rainy days and post pictures.