Sunsynk 8KVA Trips Earthleakage

John2

Hi All

Has anyone experienced this my Sunsynk has been working fine of recently its occasionally trip thee earth leakage on its grid side feed that it the feed that coming from grid to the inverter. So u have a direct feed from grid main CB to Inverter main CB see below picture  your feedback is appreciated. 

20211012_083007.jpg

Edited by John2
Additional information

Tests that has been done Neutral to earth 0v live and earth 230v. I don't have and earth to neutral bond have tested sockets all fine without bond both when grid is available and when no grid.Below is my main db with no issues I have 2 EL one for non essential and one for essential.

20211012_085213.jpg

@Leshen I know you have installed quite a few of them have you came across anything like this. So the grid connection to the inverter is from the Main grid CB 63amp to Inverter grid 63amp to EL63amp then to SP63 to inverter.

27 minutes ago, John2 said:

@Leshen I know you have installed quite a few of them have you came across anything like this. So the grid connection to the inverter is from the Main grid CB 63amp to Inverter grid 63amp to EL63amp then to SP63 to inverter.

Hi John. 

Did you supply the inverter with grid power before or after the EL?

Thanks Gents, I enjoy also the information!

@Leshenon a different but related topic : I know of 2 Sunsynk 8kW installations where the Earth Leakage (home DB) trips after loadshedding. They do not have an earth - neutral bond relay installed, so my quess is when the Eskom / Munic Neutral and Earth return, there is an unbalanced leakage (?). Any inputs or discussions around this that you are aware of?

Kind Regards, Jaco 

Can anyone please supply me with the information regarding the earth neutral bond relay they’ve installed. Also where you’ve sourced it from  

We had a millisecond municipal trip tonight which caused my 8kw Sunsynk to trip the earth leakage.

I need to do this mod asap as I am going to the KNP in 3 weeks time.

10 hours ago, Johandup said:

Can anyone please supply me with the information regarding the earth neutral bond relay they’ve installed. Also where you’ve sourced it from

I just installed a normal dinrail mounted 230V relay that you could buy at most electrical suppliers, there are other brands like Hager, ownesto, ABB. The Sunsynk manual does not mention a specific type or brand.

964E940D-31CB-40B5-8F5E-DBD69257FA9F.png

On 2021/10/13 at 4:07 PM, Jaco P Bloem said:

@Leshenon a different but related topic : I know of 2 Sunsynk 8kW installations where the Earth Leakage (home DB) trips after loadshedding. They do not have an earth - neutral bond relay installed, so my quess is when the Eskom / Munic Neutral and Earth return, there is an unbalanced leakage (?). Any inputs or discussions around this that you are aware of?

Kind Regards, Jaco 

A neighbour of mine's earth leakage tripped every time the grid came back after load shedding. It's a normal home installation, she does not have an inverter. My electrician took a look and determined that her earth leakage was too sensitive, he replaced it and there have been no problems since for over 1 year now.

1 minute ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

A neighbour of mine's earth leakage tripped every time the grid came back after load shedding. It's a normal home installation, she does not have an inverter. My electrician took a look and determined that her earth leakage was too sensitive, he replaced it and there have been no problems since for over 1 year now.

Have tested mine and it is within spec. 
But it a gray area. 

35 minutes ago, Johandup said:

Did you install it inside the inverter?

Hi Johan, yes I installed it inside the inverter as there is some space inside the inverter behind the string isolator and I used cable ties to strap it a bit so that it cannot move around freely. The space was a bit tight but it done the trick. Sorry I don’t have a photo but with all the wiring in that box it is kind of hidden away behind all the wires, but see empty box and position.

07627A50-4AFB-4950-A1D3-A4CA24CB2601.jpeg

On 2021/10/13 at 6:07 PM, Jaco P Bloem said:

Kind Regards, Jaco 

Hi Jaco. 

It could be many issues. One being that the EL is too sensitive. If the inverter is being fed through the EL, it will trip. The E/N bondind is only required on the LOAD/Essential side of the inverter when the grid fails. So when the grid is down, you need to bond Earth and the LOAD neutral. 

If this isn’t done then there will be approx 110V between Earth and Neutral on the LOAD side which isn’t legal. 

33 minutes ago, Gerrie said:

Hi Johan, yes I installed it inside the inverter as there is some space inside the inverter behind the string isolator and I used cable ties to strap it a bit so that it cannot move around freely. The space was a bit tight but it done the trick. Sorry I don’t have a photo but with all the wiring in that box it is kind of hidden away behind all the wires, but see empty box and position.

07627A50-4AFB-4950-A1D3-A4CA24CB2601.jpeg

Tx for the reply. 
Much appreciated.