Mixed pylontech US3000b with UP 5000

Jazzy

Hi Jazzy, I was also contemplating adding a Pylontech US5000 battery to my US3000 set up with Victron-Venus GX control.

Installers I talked to yesterday at www.kragdag.co.za expo consider it high risk. I could not get even one that would mix different versions of US3000. When asked why, they said, from experience, just do not do it. Why take the risk?

17 hours ago, Abe53 said:

Hi Jazzy, I was also contemplating adding a Pylontech US5000 battery to my US3000 set up with Victron-Venus GX control.

Installers I talked to yesterday at www.kragdag.co.za expo consider it high risk. I could not get even one that would mix different versions of US3000. When asked why, they said, from experience, just do not do it. Why take the risk?

I doubt that the installers you met, know better than the guys who make those batteries. According to Pylontech support, you can mix them, just contact Pylontech support if in doubt. This is a response which I got from Pylontech, not installers,  ''And yes, you could connect UP5000 to the 4 US2000, but you need to use the new UP5000 as the master battery''. 

Good evening Hooloc, those installers might not have all the knowledge, but they have experience.

They are not all palookas, but all had trouble mixing PylonTech packs. Give them credit!

I will only expand my Pylontech with same spec packs. I understand some are 15s, and some are 16s cells ?

1 minute ago, Abe53 said:

Good evening Hooloc, those installers might not have all the knowledge, but they have experience.

They are not all palookas, but all had trouble mixing PylonTech packs. Give them credit!

I will only expand my Pylontech with same spec packs. I understand some are 15s, and some are 16s cells ?

If you are using bms communication to the inverter it does not really matter if you mix different capacity batteries,they will all discharge and charge properly.

14 hours ago, Nexuss said:

If you are using bms communication to the inverter it does not really matter if you mix different capacity batteries,

But 15S versus 16S is a different module voltage. That's a whole lot more serious than mismatched capacities. [ Edit: it looks like they are all 15S, per next post. ]

Edited by Coulomb

Being an installer I have 1x us2000 2x us3000 1x us3000C and 2x UP5000 all in one bank working fine see pic below

From the pylontech manual verbatum:

15) Compatible with the US3000C, US2000C, US3000, and US2000.
*Mixture using master battery priority:
UP5000>US3000C>US2000C>US3000>US2000
For same type of module always use the latest production unit as master.
*Mixture using battery deployment option:
Master battery (1st) UP5000
Slave 2nd ~8th UP5000/US3000C/US2000C/US3000/US2000
Slave 9th ~16th UP5000/US3000C/US2000C

Please take note of order of batteries above if and when stacking.

They all are 15 cells i'm pretty sure

Only down site is the you need to limit your draw to the smallest battery in your bank

Mine the max I can draw is 1.9kw continuously because of US2000 (FYI lithium batteries work well between 95%-35%)

1st ALL Batteries "HAVE TO BE Balanced" or else you will get an alarm on batteries

Inverter MUST communicate with Master batteries BMS

IMG_20210702_130020.thumb.jpg.f92731133d99f13c981d4bb377e0297d.jpg

Edited by Quwatush Shams (Suly)

13 hours ago, Abe53 said:

Hi, did they bother to find out why they were having trouble mixing the Pylotech packs? No use arguing about this because even on this forum, with a quick search, you will see that some users were having the same problem mixing the US3000C with US3000B or US2000 and they have managed to fix tha twith a simple FW upgrade. If they have bothered to find out, they would have learned that with a simple firmware upgrade, their problems would have been fixed. The later FW allows you to mix different Pylontech packs, just update your US3000 or your US2000 to the latest version and your problems will be solved. Again, the manufacture says you can mix the packs, they wouldn't say that if they have not tested that it is possible to mix them. Their experience seems to be limited