Axpert 5kVA Inverter (PF 0.8 model - large black heatsink) failure and options for repair....

VaughanT

Greetings to the brain trust - I have a question to ask pertaining to a particular unit that has been operating reliably for a number of years at my parents home. Of recent the output of the unit went intermittent (repeatedly goes on/off) with it in bypass mode. I have taken it out of service and handed it into Rectron at their service centre. They have subsequently reverted back indicating that they did some work on the unit main PCB and am unable to get the unit output to turn on. It also shows an error code '6' (have not seen this in the manual before). RCT is now wanting to replace the unit main PCB at a cost of R5000. 

Whilst the cost is roughly half the cost of a replacement unit - I am concerned that this cost is simply not economically feasible and wanted to see what options exist for its repair. Is this fault a common/recurring one that has been remedied before by other members on the forum? Are there repair outlets (other than RCT) in JHB who have had success with the repairs on these units? Should the unit simply be scrapped and replaced ? Either way both the repair and/or replacement cost is extremely high for my parents who are pensioners. 

I would be grateful to receive your valuable inputs on how best one could proceed with this matter. The present loadshedding is equally a massive problem for which there appears to be no end for it in sight. 

Vaughan

44 minutes ago, VaughanT said:

the output of the unit went intermittent (repeatedly goes on/off) with it in bypass mode.

It sounds like the main power supply is failing.

45 minutes ago, VaughanT said:

It also shows an error code '6' (have not seen this in the manual before).

Fault code 06 is "output voltage too high". It's not a common one, as far as I know.

46 minutes ago, VaughanT said:

Is this fault a common/recurring one that has been remedied before by other members on the forum?

It's been reported (power cycling / restarting), but I don't know how many have succeeded in repairing it.

If you know your electronics and the fault is in the power supply, it should be a fairly easy fix; perhaps 2 dozen components are involved. All but the "transformer" can be replaced. But if it's stopping because something is shorting the power supply output, that could be tricky to find and fix.

Greetings Coulomb - are there any resources of circuit schematics for this particular unit? I noted when I opened it up that one of the large black electrolytics was slightly bulged (i.e. the vent cap had bulged up.). This might be perfectly normal for this particular capacitor - however when I see this on an electrolytic I become suspicious of its performance. 

I have an extensive knowledge in electronics through I will confess switch mode PSUs are not a strong point of mine :)

15 hours ago, VaughanT said:

are there any resources of circuit schematics for this particular unit?

Yes, yours truly (with plenty help) has done some partial schematic traces. There are also a few service manuals; see the files section of this forum

15 hours ago, VaughanT said:

I have an extensive knowledge in electronics

Then you should not have too much trouble with these older models. See also some of the repair topics on the AEVA website.