Where do I get the NRS 098 2-1, the outdated Eskom and communal electricity standard?

HannesZ

Googling is not helping me. I want to read the  NRS 098 2-1 to understand why the DC side of a solar installation is limited. I am sure that my local municipality is misinterpreting the 25% limit on the 60A line shared phase and applying it to the total theoretical limit of then installed solar array.  My Inverters can throttle it self to 3.68Kw on the AC side so what is the point in limiting my DC side. 

Edited by HannesZ

• HannesZ changed the title to Where do I get the NRS 098 2-1, the outdated Eskom and communal electricity standard?

Me thinks you in CoCT? If so, this dastardly deed was done, to the best of my understanding in CoCT, because they calculated when an unacceptable Voltage rise would occur. At the time way back, they calculated that for every single dwelling installing grid feed in systems (that was for all of them at the same time) the limit before this unacceptable rise in Voltage would be this 3.68kW figure.  Hope this helps....

Back then, most inverters did not have Voltage control, let alone Export to Utility grid control. These technical issues are not "real" but a smokescreen to protect their revenue. Hence other things like Net consumer, thus basically ensures that, depending on the location, you can only ever sae 1/3 of you bill.

13 minutes ago, Sarel said:

Back then, most inverters did not have Voltage control, let alone Export to Utility grid control. These technical issues are not "real" but a smokescreen to protect their revenue. Hence other things like Net consumer, thus basically ensures that, depending on the location, you can only ever sae 1/3 of you bill.

This fits in with my view of things. Our municipalities don't want to look like stick-in-the-muds and say you can't sell your excess power back to the grid, but they can make it difficult and not very cost effective. In Johannesburg I can sell my excess power, but it would cost me money to do that. They would get more from me than I could ever recover. But the Mayor can stand up with his hand on his heart and say that anybody with PV at home can sell back to City Power.

I don't have a problem with the 3.68kw limit but the way thay apply it makes no sens. Why limit the amount of panels at all. Very few instalation are prefect so limiting it to 10 370w panels makes no sens. Expecially if the inverter can throttle it self on the AC side to 3.68kw.