Water testing

Haggers

Hi guys

Would like to reduce water usage from my tap and therefore start filling up the pool and pond from the borehole.  I am not sure if this is a good idea as I do not know the quality of the water.  Can I test the water (expensive I assume) or what can I do to determine if water quality ok?

Thanks

Haggers

You can get the water tested. Ask the borehole drillers in your area and they will be able to point you in the right direction. Its not expensive. Also once you have put chlorine in your pool, any bacteria will be killed and unless your groundwater is polluted from some industrial source, there should be no problem with any toxins in the water.  

One of the issue with filling up the pool with borehole water is the heavy metals in the water.  You add more and more water as water evaporate but the metals stay behind which could cause discoloring of the sides in the longer term

• 1 month later...

Late to the game I know, but when we got our Borehole back in circulation, I had the water tested by the CSIR in Pretoria (building 23 or 31 I think it was). They do the human consumption test which includes a lot and cost me R650 at the time. (about 2 years back). They do higher tests, but this is only necessary with lower lying areas where rivers are or when water is used for retail purposes.

The best part was that our borehole water was actually cleaner than the tap water sample that I took. We’re supposed to have it tested annually, but I didn’t bother because we’re so high up against the mountain and our borehole is only 25 meters deep.  

On 13/11/2016 at 7:58 PM, JDP said:

I think the danger of pathogens in borehole water is overstated. The cholera  bacterium can survive for about 50 days in water. It seems to survive better in brackish water (rivers that have stopped flowing, estuaries etc). How cholera switches some genes on to be tolerant of environmental variation is still subject of research. Recharge of aquifers is a relatively slow process. I am not saying that there is no danger and obviously the closer one is to an urban environment so ones risk goes up but someone trying to sell you something is going to overstate the risk. Flatfourfan's experience that the borehole water was cleaner than the tap water is not unusual. 

6 hours ago, flatfourfan said:

Late to the game I know, but when we got our Borehole back in circulation, I had the water tested by the CSIR in Pretoria (building 23 or 31 I think it was). They do the human consumption test which includes a lot and cost me R650 at the time. (about 2 years back). They do higher tests, but this is only necessary with lower lying areas where rivers are or when water is used for retail purposes.

The best part was that our borehole water was actually cleaner than the tap water sample that I took. We’re supposed to have it tested annually, but I didn’t bother because we’re so high up against the mountain and our borehole is only 25 meters deep.  

Yep we test the water. I work in building 9 ;-)

10 hours ago, JDP said:

Yep we test the water. I work in building 9 ;-)

Did I get the number wrong? I could of sworn that it was 20 something........lol. Is the price still about the same JDP?

The funniest part was that the guy who tested it called the borehole water before I even told him which was which.