New installation.

Hi Guys

Total newbie here.  I am about to get the following system installed on Monday:

• 8 x JA Solar 540W Mono
  • Sunsynk 8K Hybrid
  • 2 x Pylontech US3000c

I am doing this through an installer as I need this done before the next big Eskom madness hike and the next lot of breakdowns by an inept parastatal.  I opted to get a bigger inverter to enable me to expand.

I already have most of my lights on LED's, my geysers on solar (one tube and one panel) and also on timers.  My Hob is gas, not my stove.  I have brought my consumption down from 56-59kw/day to 42kw/day.

1. What software can I use to monitor the system?
  2. Is there a way to automatically and remotely switch power-hungry systems?

kind regards

Aubrey

I can't comment on ICC but moved from SolarMan Smart directly to Solar Assistant once doing a search on this forum for "user friendly easy to install real-time data". The purchase of the Pi and cables was very easy online and delivered within 24 hours. The installation and setup on my network took all of 15 minutes and I have been very impressed with the quality of data Solar Assistant provides.

But horses for courses - hopefully others will comment on ICC.

1 hour ago, cyber7 said:

How does Solar Assistant hold up to ICC

Very well. The main difference in functionality in my opinion is that if you are running ICC you can still use other linux programs in addition to ICC. For example I am running node red which is monitoring ICC values and then controlling my geyser switching via the i/o pins, a relay and then a contactor (a suitable wifi relay wasn't available when I designed the system). I am also running a calibre server for my ebook library on the same pi. ICC also requires the use of VNC or port forwarding for remote access so that can be a pain. I haven't tried the new option ICM so that may have changed.

Solar Assistant is pretty much plug and play but your pi can only run it. This does mean that it is very handy on resources and I saw someone had an instance running on a pi zero which is impressive. If you want an easy monitoring solution I would recommend this.

On remote switching yes it is very possible. Depending on your technical skills and/or interest you can do a variety of options. ICC would be a better fit though for this as you can get upgrade options to the basic package that can control sonoff (or any tasmota flashable device) wifi switches or even the pi i/o. Node red or Home Assistant are popular pieces of software if you want to look at alternatives. Both can monitor an MQTT broker for information and then carry out commands plus they are free. Solar Assistant does have MQTT integration as well but you need a separate server running the control software, i.e. pi or pc if you want to do remote control. It can only report system values as far as I know. I haven't played with the MQTT on Solar Assistant.

Edited by Shadders
Corrected software name.

34 minutes ago, abeetude said:

The Riot is only for the Hubble batteries  It doesn’t show anything regarding the inverter, loads, etc. 

Besides - read the thread. He is getting Pylons. Not Hubble. 

Edited by PowerUser

6 hours ago, cyber7 said:

Any idea what the cost will be?

I paid less than R1000 and it’s worth it, only problem is if the new Sunsynk dongle under beta testing becomes available in the next few weeks or so you might want to upgrade and spend again.

On 2021/11/04 at 8:31 AM, cyber7 said:

I have brought my consumption down from 56-59kw/day to 42kw/da

That's still quite high*. The system you're installing is not going to supply all of that or back it all up. Though you have allowed room for expansion.

But if you chose your essential (backed up) loads well you'll live more than tolerably through a load shed. And you'll make a dent in your electricity bill.

* before we (2 adults) switched we had gas top but electric oven, heat pump for water heating, pool pump, 2 fridges, deep freeze, tvs, decoder, WiFi etc and seldom got above 15 kw/h a day, averaged around 13. 

On 2021/11/04 at 5:58 PM, PowerUser said:

The Riot is only for the Hubble batteries  It doesn’t show anything regarding the inverter, loads, etc. 

it is about to happen

On 2021/11/04 at 5:58 PM, PowerUser said:

Besides - read the thread. He is getting Pylons. Not Hubble. 

true