Firmware update freeze

Gnome

Re reading my last post. The only thing in common (other than the inverter) is the physical USB to serial adapter. It's a generic Prolific VID 067B PID 2303 rev 0300. This seems to be common adapter that I have seen mentioned in this forum, so again I'm at a loss. I'll contact the third party distributor I purchased the unit from tomorrow and see If I can get any info from them.

32 minutes ago, stuvo said:

Re reading my last post. The only thing in common (other than the inverter) is the physical USB to serial adapter. It's a generic Prolific VID 067B PID 2303 rev 0300. This seems to be common adapter that I have seen mentioned in this forum, so again I'm at a loss. I'll contact the third party distributor I purchased the unit from tomorrow and see If I can get any info from them.

I see 2 issues immediately...

1.  I always have my Axpert set on Com1... its the best for the firmware updates and I think for the MPPT update its required.

2. I think the U1 firmware version is very old.  I would be very keen to check with the supplier as to what model Axpert this is before flashing the firmware AND also have access to this version in case you need to go back to it later!.

2 hours ago, stuvo said:

When I first plugged it in, it defaulted to COM 7.

It seems you have some conflict somewhere between your com ports. If you plug in the inverter and it defaults to com 7, then leave it at com 7 and just select com 7 in the upgrade program when doing the the update. 

2 hours ago, stuvo said:

I just purchased this new "SMKSOLAR Axpert MKS 5kVA 4000w 80A Inverter/ Charger (grid/ off grid)" a couple of months ago.

The SMKSOLAR might not be a re-branded Voltronic Axpert, but something else. 

@stuvo, switch off the inverter completely and switch it back on again - reboot the inverter. The inverter is like a PC and sometimes it gets confused and you have to reboot it to get it to think straight again. Start WatchPower and make sure the serial port is working. Check which port WatchPower is using. Exit WatchPower (Right click on the WatchPower icon and select exit) and start the flash program selecting the same com port. 

@stuvo, it looks like you're doing everything right with the software update process, at least from what we can see here.

I'm concerned about the 32.40 firmware, Either that is very old (the lowest number I have seen on a 5 kVA Axpert is 52.02), or the versions don't always increase with time, or it's custom, or it's not a Voltronics Axpert. I agree it would be very good to contact your supplier to see if they can provide a known compatible software update, or at least the update files for the existing firmware in case it's special in some way (and of course that you find some way to actually perform the update).

I could not find any Axpert model on the SMK website. However, the fourth scrolling picture on the main page shows what looks very much like an Axpert, but with no brand name at all. The title said "Hybrid Inverter Charger", which is strange because the Axpert isn't a hybrid. When I click on Hybrid inverters under Products, I get a completely different looking blue box with a black "slot" up the middle. When I download the catalogue PDF, the specs for the blue box do sound like that of an Axpert, except for the mains charging, which is limited to 30 A. That sounds like it might be old hardware, which is quite possibly not suitable for use with firmware version 72.XX. Perhaps not even firmware version 52.XX. Perhaps the uploading process was different back then. Perhaps you have been spared a "bricking" by this, intentionally or not. (If intentional, I would have hoped for some error message, perhaps "Your inverter is not compatible with this firmware, contact your supplier" or similar.)

Do you have a manufacturing date on your machine? On later models, it's on a small (perhaps 30 mmm x 10 mm?) label put over one of the case screws, so that they have evidence if/when you open the case.

The vibes I got from the SKM website are that they are an independent manufacturer, not a reseller. But perhaps they are content to resell into the Axpert market, not compete with their own product, at least for the present.

Edit: one final clue: the photo on the main web page hints at a heatsink on top of the unit. The top of modern units is smooth cover metal, no visible heatsink (the SCC heatsink is now entirely internal, for better or worse). Does yours have a finned heatsink at the top?

Edited by Coulomb
Added final paragraph re top heatsink.

@Coulomb, The fourth scrolling picture does look like the inverter I received. I purchased mine from here. This site has changed since my purchase and the picture now does have the fins on top. My model does not. The default charging for my unit is 60 A (program 02), but it can be set as high as 120 A. --edit the manual says 120A, I just checked what the setting would actually allow, and It only goes up to 110 A end edit-- I was unable to find a manufacturing date.

The printed manual that came is the: 1KVA-5KVA INVERTER / CHARGER version 2. It appears to be pretty much identical to the version 1.7 I was able to download.

I did attempt the upgrade with a fresh reboot as @Don recommended, and I'll confirm the serial port with watchpower next time I attempt an upgrade. I've emailed my supplier for guidance and I'll let everyone know If I get additional information or figure something out. I appreciate all the help.                           

P3200187.thumb.JPG.38292a05784ae3770671de26a8b0c5e4.JPG

P3200190.thumb.JPG.b653b6eb86cac88a0e7214a24d4f480f.JPG

@stuvo, the 80 A of SCC output makes it a pretty recent model. They must be using old images on the web site. I'm guessing October 2016 manufacture date, based on the barcode number.

But 80 A of SCC charge current plus 60 A of utility charge current makes 140 A max. Perhaps if you change the maximum utility charge current to 60 A it will allow up to 140 A of total charge current. Not that you need that much with a lead acid battery, just that it could explain the 110 A max (80 + 30).

[ Edit: and the paper manual is old, that's not uncommon. ] 

[ Edit 2: maybe firmware version 32.xx is normal for the 80 A SCC version, can anyone confirm? I'd expect SCC version 04.10, however. ] 

So now, the low firmware version number remains a mystery, as well as the inability to update firmware.

Interestingly one of the system that I saw today for repairs has the U1 firmware as 32.40 but that is the PWM model - Axpert KS 5kVA-48V.  Since you have no "manufacturer date" sticker on any of the screws, you could remove the front cover carefully and click a photo and send it here. We can confirm whether that is PWM or MPPT model.

Other possibility I see is that it is not a real Voltronic product and probably one of the copied inverters. 

I finally heard from SMK Solar.

"Thanks for your enquiry.

The software can not upgrade by customer. Otherwise the chip will blocked.
For software upgrde,  this software upgrade version may not suitable for our product.
 Since it is working good, no need to change the setting by end user. "

So I guess that's that.

• 2 years later...

hi, Guys i have a hybrid inverter model M-5K-64-PAR-A  connected with 4x330w in series in the morning it shows that is charging the batteries around pass 9am it doesn't see the panels anymore the charging light goes off, not charging anymore i don't know if whether is the settings or what? tried to change them manually i'm failing is on U1 71 20 , please help guys.

17 hours ago, Joel said:

hybrid inverter model M-5K-64-PAR-A

It's not a hybrid. The only M-5K-PAR-A I know of has a 145 V max MPPT. But main inverter firmware version 71.20 is usually for the higher voltage SCC models (some 120-430 V MPPT range).

connected with 4x330w in series

If there really are 4 330 W panels in series (as opposed to two strings of 2 in parallel), then that's your problem. The panel voltage is far too high (something like 36 x 4 = 144 V working, and much more than that, perhaps 45 x 4 = 180 V open circuit. This would be dangerous for your Solar Charge Controller (SCC). If you have the higher voltage SCC model, then 4 panels in series is quite low, and as the panels heat up, the voltage drops, and that might be why the SCC switches off.

So check the large sticker on the side of your inverter, and see if you see the same as this on the last line of text (sorry for the large image):

20190502_102649.jpg

Then check the voltage of your panels by using the up and down buttons on the LC Display, until you see the PV Volts screen. Report that voltage.

Edited by Coulomb