Inverter advice - Disabling restart on overload

Hiriji

Hi all,

I am admittedly very new to the science in electricity in general, so I'm sorry in advance if I'm asking a bit of an ignorant question.

I recently bought a 3kV Axpert inverter (https://www.powerprovider.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Rentech-Axpert-V_manual.pdf) and had an electrician install it for me with a bypass switch. It is connected to 5 of my plug circuits and we didn't realise the dishwasher was on one of those circuits. We didn't think it would be much of a problem for us, as we just won't run the dishwasher when we're expecting the sheddies or during the sheddies. 

When we're running the dishwasher while on bypass our inverter is restarting due to overload. I can understand that the dishwasher is pushing it past the allowed voltage, but I was hoping that it wouldn't be an issue since we only run the washer in bypass mode. I'm struggling to get the dishwasher off that circuit without impacting other plugs on it because of our DB board layout.

I see that the 3kV Axperts do have an option to disable restart on overload. So my question is whether it's safe to disable this? I can live with the warning alarm as it's in my garage and we can hardly hear it but the last thing I want is to blow something out. 

Thanks in advance for any advice on offer.

Thanks for the welcome and feedback Dream.

We looked at the 5kW at the time, it was just out of budget for us and we needed to get back up and running at work so it was the next best option. We were also never wanting to run a lot on it, but looks like our poor planning landed us here. 

I will make a plan to isolate it, thank you. I definitely want the most out of this unit so not taking chances. Thanks bud.

On 2021/11/08 at 9:10 PM, Hiriji said:

When we're running the dishwasher while on bypass our inverter is restarting due to overload.

I would not expect that to happen. You should be able to run a lot more than 3 kVA through a 3 kVA rated inverter when in bypass mode. Are you sure it isn't actually in battery mode when this happens?

On 2021/11/08 at 9:10 PM, Hiriji said:

I see that the 3kV Axperts do have an option to disable restart on overload. So my question is whether it's safe to disable this?

If you disable restart on overload, it won't just make the error/warning go away; the inverter will just stop with a fault code if overloaded. I suspect that you'll find this quite annoying, as all of your 5 sockets will lose power.

So you need to prevent the overload in the first place.

1 hour ago, Coulomb said:

I would not expect that to happen. You should be able to run a lot more than 3 kVA through a 3 kVA rated inverter when in bypass mode.

What is the relay rated for? (I ask because I'm sort of assuming you've had one of these apart) That is ultimately the determining factor, correct?

It would be very good design to shutdown your inverter on overload even on bypass mode to protect the relay.  Perhaps a bit higher because your relay may be rated for higher current than the inverter.

12 hours ago, Gnome said:

What is the relay rated for? (I ask because I'm sort of assuming you've had one of these apart)

Sorry. 98% of my experience is on 5 kVA machines. They have 40 A relays, but I'm pretty sure that the smaller models have lower rated relays.

It might be in one of the service manuals, but I doubt it.