UPS battery replacement

SpiderbabyJB

Hi there, 

I bought a RCT 2000VA last year around August 2020. It had lasted about 4.5 hours out of the box for the first 2-3 months however this window has lessend to about 20mins somedays and 15mins other. I only have my router and ONT plugged into it. I suspect it needs a new battery but I dont know where to start and would appreciate the advice please. I need to know what battery and where to find a good one. I hate being wasteful so dont want to just buy a new one. Appreciate your time. 

Specs of the UPS unit below: 

RCT Line Interactive UPS - 2000 VA / 1200 W

Features:
- Fast charging in 4 hours
- Built-in excellent microprocessor controller
- Boost and buck AVR for voltage stabilization
- Free monitoring software (download required)
- Overload, discharge, and overcharge protection

Input:
- Voltage 110/120 VAC or 220/230/240 VAC
- Voltage Range 81-145 VAC / 162-290 VAC
- Frequency Range 60/50 Hz (auto sensing)

Output:
- Output Voltage 110/120 VAC or 220/230/240 VAC
- AC Voltage Regulation (Batt. Mode) ±10%
- Frequency Range (Batt. Mode) 60 Hz or 50 Hz ±1 Hz
- Transfer Time Typical 2-6 ms, 10ms max.
- Waveform (Batt. Mode) Simulated Sinewave

I have the 1000 VA version and I believe it has the same batteries - 2 x 7ah 12v lead acid batteries.

These UPSs are terrible at providing DC power because it takes the 12V DC from the battery, converts to 230V AC that the 3 point plug at the back of the unit provides, and then your router's power adapter converts that 230V AC back to ~12V DC. If you're just looking to power your router and ONT box then rather go for something like this: https://www.takealot.com/ultralan-micro-ups-dc-usb-poe-17w-8-8ah/PLID70776331 (< R500) - probably not much more than what you'd pay for two new lead acid batteries.

Has lithium batteries and outputs either 9V or 12V DC. Comes with a splitter cable that lets you plug your router and ONT directly into the UPS meaning you won't need those devices' power adapters anymore (unless you want to plug them into the mains again.)

If you're set on using the UPS then have a look at the 12v 9ah batteries instead of the 7ah. Have had a few peeps mention the battery sizes are the same.

Edited by min.emerg