BSL Battery and comms

Gerrie

Anybody using the BSL Lithium batteries. Would like to hear any thoughts on the battery that make it or break it. Does it communicate direct with Sunsynk without riot? Is it a 1C battery? What is support like? I only heard good things so far and would like other opinions.

Support is good, battery is good, it communicates without extra hardware (even with Goodwe, which is not officially supported). One of the biggest advantages is that you can get parts (BMS & cells) when you have an out-of-warranty failure. Say you have a surge that takes out the BMS - with most batteries your warranty claim will be denied, but with BSL at least you can get a replacement. I feel that it is priced a bit too high compared with the Pylontech UP5000. The other downside of the UP5000 is that you need 2 to get roughly the same current capacity, but then you have a lot more storage.

(The 120Ah unit has slightly higher failure rates - but support is good so they get replaced. Personally, I would avoid the 120Ah for now.)

Edited by P1000

1 hour ago, Tariq said:

a friend of mine is using a BSL 5.1 kWh battery with a 5 kW Sunsynk for over 6 months, he uses ONLY the battery/coms cable that came with the inverter, has had absolutely no problems at all.

How did he mount it in a cabinet or just floor standing?

1 hour ago, P1000 said:

I feel that it is priced a bit too high compared with the Pylontech UP5000.

The price is not to big of a deal if the quality and capacity output make up for it. I like pylontech a lot but it also becomes pricy when having to buy extra batteries to make up for capacity limitations.

11 minutes ago, Gerrie said:

The price is not to big of a deal if the quality and capacity output make up for it. I like pylontech a lot but it also becomes pricy when having to buy extra batteries to make up for capacity limitations.

That is true, there is always a tradeoff.

They can also be wall mounted.

Like here:

On 2021/09/30 at 7:17 PM, HeinDuPlessis said:

Some pictures.

20210930_135058 (Medium).jpg

20210930_135110 (Medium).jpg

20210930_135115 (Medium).jpg

Edited by P1000

7 hours ago, P1000 said:

They can also be wall mounted

Those brackets seem to do the trick, I might do something similar as the installation I’m planning will also have two batteries, I will still look at more options as I would also like some kind of top cover to close the top terminals and comms cable from accidental damage and small things that might fall into the spare ports.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2021/11/19 at 6:26 PM, Gerrie said:

Those brackets seem to do the trick, I might do something similar as the installation I’m planning will also have two batteries, I will still look at more options as I would also like some kind of top cover to close the top terminals and comms cable from accidental damage and small things that might fall into the spare ports.

I like the idea of a top cover. I decided to go the "low tech" route and cover the exposed ports on my wall-mounted UP5000's with black insulation tape.

IMG_2318-min.png

Edited by Bigawatt

13 hours ago, Bigawatt said:

I decided to go the "low tech" route and cover the exposed ports on my wall-mounted UP5000's with black insulation tape.

I also temporary closed the ports with some brother label tape. I will get a cover made up in January from; I think it’s called polycarbonate. I have used it before in DB boards, it can easily be bend and drilled without breaking, it’s like a magic material that all DB manufacturers use to cover exposed live parts.

AF8F8F64-72E3-4D60-B460-687F820069D2.jpeg

• 1 year later...
36 minutes ago, PeanuTG said:

is the BSL the same as the Kodak BL battery. They look exactly the same? Or even the Greenrich battery?

BSL and Kodak is definitely not the same. Greenrich and Kodak might be the same or manufactured by the same company, but that does not mean they will work together.

For instance, the BSL and Greenrich use the same brand of BMS, they will even communicate with each other, but the settings are too dissimilar to work together properly. It can be done if you reprogram them to be the same, though. (as long as you don't mind voiding your warranty)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2023/02/14 at 8:32 AM, PeanuTG said:

Morning

I figured out that the Greenrich is the same as the Kodak. I will need to find out what the pinouts are for the RS232 and RS485 ports so I connect my Solar-Assistant Pi directly to the battery to read the BMS info.

I have a Kodak BL3.6 with a OG5.48 KODAK Solar Off-Grid Inverter VMIII 5kW 48V and solar panels (2750W). I want to monitor and control the inverter. Currently no ESS functionality and use of solar is not good. Can your solar asstant PI do this? 

• 2 months later...
On 2023/05/25 at 6:19 PM, MJS said:

I have a Kodak BL3.6 with a OG5.48 KODAK Solar Off-Grid Inverter VMIII 5kW 48V and solar panels (2750W). I want to monitor and control the inverter. Currently no ESS functionality and use of solar is not good. Can your solar asstant PI do this? 

Apologies. I have not logged in here for a while. Yes, the Solar Assistant works with the VMIII. Set it as PYL in setting 05. And connect the BL3.6 to the Pi using a USB RS-232 cable. You can order it from Solar Assistant. Order the cable for the Revov R100. They use the same cable.