Narada 48NPFC150 Short Circuit

WynandM

Greetings, 

We recently got a new installation:

• 7.2kW Kodak OG
  • Narada 48NPFC150 
  • 10 x 385w JA Solar Mono Panels

Shortly after the installation the battery bank started with a short circuit alarm.

Even with the outgoing load disconnected, and trying to "hot-start?" (inverter has power when "adding" bank by flipping the breaker) the battery bank it still fails with a short circuit alarm. 

The same is seen when trying to cold start the bank. Again, no outgoing load, only trying to start the inverter by connecting the battery bank, the battery goes into short circuit alarm.

If the inverter is already running, and the bank is repeatedly reset it does at some point skip the short circuit alarm and becomes usable.

Given the above, it does appear the bank might be problematic. 

1. Can it be a faulty bank?
  2. Could it have been damage to the bank (e.g. inrush current)?
  3. It the bank properly sized for the inverter?

The spec and install was done by a company.

Your inputs and thought on this is appreciated that we can troubleshoot is matter.

Thanks

2 hours ago, JoeyhZA said:

Considering it's a new installation your first port of call should rather be the folks that sold it to you I reckon. It's likely under warranty (?) and if by chance you get the wrong info or thing to try on a forum you might void that warrant perhaps?

Agreed, but it's good to have some knowledge of what the problem may be. Don't alter what they have done or supplied and always give them chance to rectify the problem first. But, I've often come across companies that that will try to fob you off even when you have the evidence that what they have done is wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue with a 48NPFC100. These batteries were designed to be used with cell towers and not inverters and it thinks there is a short circuit on the inverter side. Best way to get it going is to take 4x 7ah 12v batteries wire them in series and parallel them with the lithium battery. As soon as the inverter starts up the battery will be happy and you can disconnect the small batteries.

Thanks to all for the replies.

I do not get email notifications once a post has been made, hence I did not engage earlier.

Since posting this, they did come and replace the single 48NPFC150 with 2x U-P3686 Lithium 72Ah-50V banks. Now the system starts up without an issue.

On 2021/11/19 at 11:01 PM, JoeyhZA said:

Considering it's a new installation your first port of call should rather be the folks that sold it to you I reckon. 

Totally agree, and that is how the matter was resolved, however getting some extra inputs are always welcome and might contain options not considered.

On 2021/11/20 at 1:38 AM, Tinbum said:

But, I've often come across companies that that will try to fob you off even when you have the evidence that what they have done is wrong.

Yes, lets just say getting the new batteries did not go without a fight.

On 2021/11/20 at 9:52 AM, P1000 said:

Sounds like you need a precharge resistor to charge up the inverter capacitors.

I would still argue the onus is on them (the company selling the kit) to spec it correctly and that should have been part of the original quote / installation. The payment was done for a company to install a product, not for me to pay for their schooling fees.

On 2021/11/29 at 9:18 PM, JacquesN88 said:

Best way to get it going is to take 4x 7ah 12v batteries wire them in series

Yes, the installation techy also suggested such a "work around". This however is not what was paid for or this should not be attempted by the client; due to the risks involved for injury and/or warranty purposes.

Thanks for the inputs everyone.