I'm so confused - RS232 and/or DSM485 for Solar Assistant?

MdF

Morning All,

Ok, so I am extremely confused. I currently have my Solar Assistant setup as per the first image below which is connected via the RS232 port on the Deye inverter to the Solar Assistant Pi. The battery data that I see in Solar Assistant is as shown in the top right hand corner.

However, when I have a look at the guide documents on the Solar Assistant website, I see that they show much more data for the batteries and for more than one battery. The example of multiple battery packs and additional data displayed is as shown in the top right hand corner of the second image.

My question is, how do I get this more detailed battery data as I am currently running two batteries? Do I simply connect the DSM485 port inside the inverter to the Solar Assistant Pi as well as keeping the RS232 cable in place?

Some assistance would be much appreciated.

MdF

PF_BatteryData_21Nov2021-01.thumb.png.7d7d47a8d6cf56dfc492d3b1d24c42bf.png

PF_BatteryData_21Nov2021-02.png

Edited by MdF
Updated attachments

22 hours ago, 87 Dream said:

Hi Mdf

This battery is currently not supported by Solar assistant but Pierre is building support on one of my sites remotely. He is close to having it supported fully. It uses the RS485. It should be all up & running in this coming week. 

I will look at your cabling & get you the exact config of cables later today. 

@87 Dream In our case we are connected to the battery parallel port and getting all the information from the LBSA. Took allot of testing to realize that there is no 0 volt pin in that port, to get it working we had to connect a 0 volt from the raspberry. I'm getting all the info now directly from the battery BMS see screen dump.

image.thumb.png.d5be16b473adb7595fcdb48a2f4d1011.png

Edited by Antonio de Sa

5 hours ago, Antonio de Sa said:

@87 Dream In our case we are connected to the battery parallel port and getting all the information from the LBSA. Took allot of testing to realize that there is no 0 volt pin in that port, to get it working we had to connect a 0 volt from the raspberry. I'm getting all the info now directly from the battery BMS see screen dump.

image.thumb.png.d5be16b473adb7595fcdb48a2f4d1011.png

@Antonio de Sahi , that instance of yours look pretty good !  What is the parralel port , is that something additional to the RS485 and CanBus port, and what is the protocol of the interface?

Kind regards

1 minute ago, dropkick said:

@Antonio de Sahi , that instance of yours look pretty good !  What is the parralel port , is that something additional to the RS485 and CanBus port, and what is the protocol of the interface?

Kind regards

It's connected to the battery parallel port of the Battery using modbus RS485 

Evening 87,

Thank you for the response and pictures. I do understand the dip switch thingy.

However, after some thought I am rather averse to making the Pi the master controller as such for a system that actually should be run and managed by the inverter itself. In other words, the Pi was only ever expected to provide insight into what the system is doing, not be a master component in any way.

That being said, I think it best to keep the system running as is and I will just have to live with the fact that SA is there to provide info on my system and that I will just have to be happy with the data it is currently showing.

It would have been nice if SA could have easily read the data from my battery type much like it does for other brands. But so be it.

Maybe some time in the future, SA will be able to read more battery data through the RS232 port.

MdF

@Mdf and @87 Dream at the moment we are pulling from the LBSA BMS system every single cell voltage, SOC, charge/discharge current, 4 battery packs, components, and ambient temperatures. this information is archived in our server for any future warranty/ failure dispute with insurance or OEM problem. See attached, I had to do some setting changes on the Growatt inverters to make sure SOC does not go bellow 20%

image.thumb.png.f69f0b25f8c9edb57f0f7f8e2182528f.png

Edited by Antonio de Sa

15 minutes ago, Antonio de Sa said:

@Mdf and @87 Dream at the moment we are pulling from the LBSA BMS system every single cell voltage, SOC, charge/discharge current, 4 battery packs, components, and ambient temperatures. this information is archived in our server for any future warranty/ failure dispute with insurance or OEM problem. See attached, I had to do some setting changes on the Growatt inverters to make sure SOC does not go bellow 20%

image.thumb.png.f69f0b25f8c9edb57f0f7f8e2182528f.png

@Bain Viljoen what is your opinion of the information we pulling from LBSA battery BMS,  do you think that we should add some more to run the battery to it's optimum parameters? your feedback would be highly appreciated.

30 minutes ago, 87 Dream said:

Yes, when there is one battery much easier. When you stack in my case 4 of these, things get tricky 🤣🤣🤣

@87 Dream,Probably, but I think one could assign different address to each battery BMS, I'm not sure if it can be done as the info on the BMS is very poor. Need to know the make of the BMS to do a bit of research on it's parameters. Another thing I've noticed by monitoring the performance of my battery is that the ideal charging current to minimize it's temperature rise to +_ 30 degrees C is 20 Amps, 

Edited by Antonio de Sa

• 1 month later...

Afternoon All,

So, one of the issues I have been trying to figure out with this thread was, what was the use of the RS485 cable?

I ordered the RS485 USB cable from SA yesterday and it has just arrived. I disconnected the RS232 cable, opened up the access panel on my inverter, connected the RS485 cable to the inverter and plugged it in to SA Pi. The system didn't even miss a beat and the RS485 cable is now working fine.

This then solves the other issue I had with the RS232 cable. What to do when you need to upgrade the inverter firmware? You would have to remove the RS232 cable , reconnect the Wi-Fi dongle and then wait for the firmware to be downloaded and installed. This could mean that SA would potentially be offline for a good few hours.

Well, the use of the RS485 cable now allows me to reconnect the Wi-Fi dongle back into the RS232 port and then use it as and when needed for firmware updates without interrupting the collection of SA data from the Pi.

Well worth the purchase. Was delivered within 24hrs.

MdF

Edit - all I have to do now is run the cable through the plastic connectors and the trunking to the Pi. At the moment it is just running out of the access panel to the Pi. The access panel has been fitted back but with only the top 3 screws holding it in place. This temporary fix will suffice for now.

PF_RS485_11Jan2022-01.PNG

Edited by MdF

On 2021/11/24 at 8:59 AM, Antonio de Sa said:

@MdF and @87 Dream Still in Beta format, we will soon tide up the wiring, but this is how we connect the battery to our PI device.

IMG_3724.JPG

Nice.  Technically RS-485 is also just a serial bus, so IIRC you can use RS-232 port for it.  Ofc, the raspberry pi uses 3.3v logic level so you'll need MAX3232 in which case I guess you may as well get a MAX3485 instead.  Not sure how much that hat cost but these chips are cheap super cheap

17 hours ago, Gnome said:

Nice.  Technically RS-485 is also just a serial bus, so IIRC you can use RS-232 port for it.  Ofc, the raspberry pi uses 3.3v logic level so you'll need MAX3232 in which case I guess you may as well get a MAX3485 instead.  Not sure how much that hat cost but these chips are cheap super cheap

@MdF
The cables from Solar-Assistant have a built in FTDI USB-to-RS485->RJ45 or USB-to-RS232->DB9 converter.
You need 2 cables for Solar-Assistant:

1. Inverter cable: Deye/SunSynk/Sol-Ark RS485 - https://solar-assistant.io/shop/products/sunsynk_rs485
  2. Battery cable: Built Unit Battery Monitor cable 2M - https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/collections/frontpage/products/built-unit-battery-monitor-cable-2m

Connect the battery cable to the master battery (ensure the ID's are set).
You then configure Solar-Assistant with USB1 to inverter and USB2 to battery.

Edited by system32
Typo

13 hours ago, system32 said:

@MdF
The cables from Solar-Assistant have a built in USB-to-RS485->RJ45 or USB-to-RS232->DB9 converter.
You need 2 cables for Solar-Assistant:

1. Deye/SunSynk/Sol-Ark RS485 - https://solar-assistant.io/shop/products/sunsynk_rs485
  2. Built Unit Battery Monitor cable 2M - https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/collections/frontpage/products/built-unit-battery-monitor-cable-2m

Connect the battery cable to the master battery (ensure the ID's are set).
You then configure Solar-Assistant with UBS1 to inverter and USB2 to battery.

Thanks S32,

Evening 87,

Thank you for the response and pictures. I do understand the dip switch thingy.

However, after some thought I am rather averse to making the Pi the master controller as such for a system that actually should be run and managed by the inverter itself. In other words, the Pi was only ever expected to provide insight into what the system is doing, not be a master component in any way.

That being said, I think it best to keep the system running as is and I will just have to live with the fact that SA is there to provide info on my system and that I will just have to be happy with the data it is currently showing.

It would have been nice if SA could have easily read the data from my battery type much like it does for other brands. But so be it.

Maybe some time in the future, SA will be able to read more battery data through the RS232 port.

MdF

As I said in one of my previous posts as quoted above, I am loathe to do these tricky dip switch settings changes etc as I am operating 2 batteries at the moment. I would rather stick with what I know and can manage myself even if it means I do not get access to the potential full suite of data in SA.

Maybe as time goes by I will learn more and get more comfortable with making these changes but for now it is all working well.

MdF

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Greetings All,

So, last night I had a thought, what would happen if I connected the SA USB to RS232/485 cable from the second Parallel port on my master LiBSA battery directly to the Pi?

Well, I was surprised with the results. But to go back a bit in time, my original question asked here is why does SA not show the detailed battery specs like other systems do? It has always been something I have wanted especially to be able to see the cycles online instead of having to go to the batteries in the garrage.

So, I did this connection and played around with the settings on the Configuration page of SA, and this is what I got. I am not sure if this is progress or if it may be causing a data issue with SA?

Pictures 1 - 3 are what I see on SA. This change from Connected state to Disconnected error state takes place every 5 seconds or so. So, at some stage it is connecting and reading data.

Picture 4 - And this is where the surprise is. When I now look at my Battery page I get a whole lot more information which is what I am after, and I can now see the Battery cycles on the app. Great progress you would think?

But wait, I then thought, what if I connect a second SA USB to RS232/485 cable to the slave battery and then to the Pi? Would I then get the slave battery stats?

The answer to this is sadly no. And when I further checked on these stats, the data being presented under the Battery page is only for the Slave battery no matter if it is connected to the Pi on the 2nd parallel port of the Master battery or on the first parallel port of the Slave battery.

So, is this progress? Am I getting better data to monitor the system with? I would think yes, but I am unsure of two things (1) Because of the error in connection, could this possibly result in problems with SA presenting incorrect data?; and (2) why am I seeing only data from the Slave battery?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

MdF

SA_Battery_06Sep2022-01.png

SA_Battery_06Sep2022-02.png

SA_Battery_06Sep2022-03.png

SA_Battery_06Sep2022-04.png