Accurate Grid Power Consumption Figures Possible with Deye Inverter?

Scubadude

Hi all,

In my first 3 days of production I realised that the grid power readings are understated - according to the inveter it is an average of 4.8kWh per day, while my prepaid meter would suggest something like 11 or 12 units per day.  I was hoping I could use the inveter to verify my municipal meter, but as it is I cannot do that. Currently I have the stove (correctly) and a part of the house (incorrectly) wired as non-essential - all of this demand goes unrecorded by the inverter. Is this an installation issue, or is this the way it always works? 

Regards,

SD 

Maybe I found the answer in this figure from a Deye traning document below. I suspect the CT coil is fitted after the common load, not before it.  Would changing this location create the "domestic grid" I need? As a second question ... my prepaid meter wont connect to the server when connected on essential circuits. Do I need to installa a dedicated plug point before the CT to get it working? At the moment I have it on the sid eof the house that is on non-essential (presumably before the CT coil).

image.thumb.png.69b77e1c711a4b5b4200c72bbc8b3356.png

This thread says my layman's assessment was right. How can so many installers all get this very basic concept wrong? In my case it is eroding almost a third of my savings. If I didn't have prepaid it would have taken much longer to figure it out. I wonder how many other installations out there that are hamstrung by uninformed installers?

https://powerforum.co.za/topic/7136-sunsynk-ct-clamp/

I have been asked to help out on site's more than once by a friend of mine doing installations, an electrician. 

It happened often enough I decided to do my own installation without any "help".

Its odd how the basics just don't get attended to, more a "get the job done and get out of there".

I mean if you're doing this day in and day out, why not take the trouble to get it right, and know the product you're installing, as well as good procedure to ensure the solution fits the clients needs.

@Scubadude, at least you're system has the benefit of being expandable in the future, should your requirements change.

Edited by Nitrious

Yes, it seems that your CT is in the wrong place.

On the prepaid meter, I suspect the filters in the inverter is hampering communication between the units. The best is to have a non essential plug for that - IE power that does not pass through the inverter. It does not have to be before the CT.

2 hours ago, P1000 said:

Yes, it seems that your CT is in the wrong place.

On the prepaid meter, I suspect the filters in the inverter is hampering communication between the units. The best is to have a non essential plug for that - IE power that does not pass through the inverter. It does not have to be before the CT.

Why would you say the filters are hampering the coms?

Can this gentleman not take a photo where his prepaid meter is installed.

38 minutes ago, Erastus said:

It is a plug-in unit. It has been finicky form the start - doesnt like multiplugs or other devices where it is plugged in, and also only works on some sockets. So the idea of filters buggering up comms is not far fetched.  I now have it plugged into the section of the house that runs on mains (to be fixed later today). I plan to install a plugpoint on the Stove circuit to be used for the prepaid meter. 

43 minutes ago, Erastus said:

Why would you say the filters are hampering the coms?

Some of these communicate over power. This usually happens around the zero crossing at a high frequency (>2kHz). From his problem statement I have deduced that he likely has one of those. Having an inverter that generates SPWM at ~24kHz means you are going to have to have a low pass filter to meet EMI regulations.

38 minutes ago, P1000 said:

Some of these communicate over power. This usually happens around the zero crossing at a high frequency (>2kHz). From his problem statement I have deduced that he likely has one of those. Having an inverter that generates SPWM at ~24kHz means you are going to have to have a low pass filter to meet EMI regulations.

Low pass filter should be where the incomer lands in the db close to the first mini breaker,  the sensing unit to prevent feeding to the prepaid meter should preferably be just after the mini cct breaker.

I understand your reasoning. tnx

23 hours ago, Scubadude said:

It is a plug-in unit. It has been finicky form the start - doesnt like multiplugs or other devices where it is plugged in, and also only works on some sockets. So the idea of filters buggering up comms is not far fetched.  I now have it plugged into the section of the house that runs on mains (to be fixed later today). I plan to install a plugpoint on the Stove circuit to be used for the prepaid meter. 

Even then the keypad may not be able to communicate with the meter.
As you know, Hybrid Inverters are also "grid-tied inverters" and feed power back to "Common Load/Non-Essential" side to power your stove/geyser/etc.
This feed is interfering with "comms over power line".
I have a CoJ Landis keypad connected on the "Common Load" side and it struggles.
The keypad units display is updated, but I can't load new units or read total units (i003).
image.png.5c11f3276c6c2d72b20a657df0d57cd3.png

To work around the problem, I shutdown/isolate the grid input feed at the inverter.
I can then use the keypad which is connected to the "Common Load" Grid side.
Once done, I restore the grid feed to the inverter.

Edited by system32

18 hours ago, system32 said:

I have a CoJ Landis keypad connected on the "Common Load" side and it struggles.

I had the same problem with that unit. I called the CoCT and logged a fault with them. They installed a new wireless meter in the main box in the street. So now I only have a small wireless device lying around to check my balance and load new units. Has been working fully stable ever since

1 hour ago, wolfandy said:

I had the same problem with that unit. I called the CoCT and logged a fault with them. They installed a new wireless meter in the main box in the street. So now I only have a small wireless device lying around to check my balance and load new units. Has been working fully stable ever since

Thanks for the tip 😉
I'm OK to shutdown/isolate the grid input feed at the inverter once a months for 5 minutes whilst I load a few units (aka kWh) of electricity.
I have a plug for the keypad on the Grid side and the rest of the house is on the Critical/UPS side, so no outage.

Edited by system32

I want to use my prepaid meter as a daily check against what the inverter says I purchased, so I made another plan that didn't require an electrician or doesn't require switching off the inverter to take a reading or load a token.  With the stove wired before the inverter, I wired the meter to the stove's infeed.  OK I know it's not 100% proper, but it works like a charm.  It also serves a secondary purpose - the credit status lamp is a telltale indicator for municipal feed - handy for the wife to know when high powered kitchen appliances can be used and when best not.  

Edited by Scubadude