Jump to content

Any Advice on TheSunPays Mono panels


paulw
 Share

Recommended Posts

I would rather stick to the major manufacturers, like JA Solar, Longi, Jinko, Canadian Solar. The warranty is only good if the company behind it is still around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 2022/05/31 at 2:20 PM, paulw said:

Hi, I see that Thesunpays sell 480w Mono panels for what seems to be a good price, however Im not that familiar with the brand. Pros and Cons? 

They have been in business for over 10 years. Risk is much higher buying branded goods and the seller closes next month.

I have never had a problem with anything they sell. Even my clone Axpert is working spot on.

They brand their goods with their name on. You have to find out which global company's panels they added their name on.

Edited by Scorp007
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2022/06/03 at 8:51 PM, Scorp007 said:

They have been in business for over 10 years. Risk is much higher buying branded goods and the seller closes next month.

I have never had a problem with anything they sell. Even my clone Axpert is working spot on.

They brand their goods with their name on. You have to find out which global company's panels they added their name on.

From what I understand their 480W panel is actually JA panels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brian1709 said:

From what I understand their 480W panel is actually JA panels.

I wouldn't know. I actually thought it was another brand and not made in China. I did buy one but cannot really give PV figures for the 480W as I only get sun to 13h30. Angle is also 10deg and not good in winter time. Also I have no recording on the inverter it is connected to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2022/06/03 at 8:51 PM, Scorp007 said:

They have been in business for over 10 years. Risk is much higher buying branded goods and the seller closes next month.

I have never had a problem with anything they sell. Even my clone Axpert is working spot on.

They brand their goods with their name on. You have to find out which global company's panels they added their name on.

Well will report on the efficiency and capability of the 480W panels as soon as they are up and running but based on the service from The Sun Pays up to this point it should be great.

Bought and paid for yesterday at 13h00, delivered at 9h05 this morning. Free of charge (100km radius)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brian1709 said:

Well will report on the efficiency and capability of the 480W panels as soon as they are up and running but based on the service from The Sun Pays up to this point it should be great.

Bought and paid for yesterday at 13h00, delivered at 9h05 this morning. Free of charge (100km radius)

This is great. Look forward to the results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

This is great. Look forward to the results.

Just to add some info since I put my 480W on a flat roof car port at a 10deg angle. Only getting sun up to 13h45 then solid shade from a side wall of my home. Yesterday about 1600Wh and today 1470Wh as reported by the Epever MPPT I am using to charge 2 x S-100 lithiums.

Very happy with the yield. 😎😎😎

Edited by Scorp007
Corrected yield value
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

How are these panels performing? I see they are offering some very good prices on the 480Ws and I am very interested. I obviously want to make sure that they are good quality and hopefully won't crack and break apart in 10 years, because if they do, Canadian Solar would be 'cheaper'.

From some research it seems like they are manufactured by Powitt, because it seems like the model numbers are the same on the documentation. Any thoughts on Powitt, and if it worth taking a chance on The Sun Pays. They seem to have been around for ~ 15 years and reviews on Hello Peter and Google are quite good.

Being a Toyota driver I am very risk averse, but this kind of savings seem extremely attractive ;) 

Edited by JoJoDave
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Got it installed on the 25/06 during the weird rainy period in Pretoria, so do not have much data. Unfortunately the location that the panels were supposed to go (North Facing 15 degrees incline) was not ready (trees not cut down yet) so I had to install in the least favourable position possible (South facing, 20 degrees inciine) 

Based on the solcast.com.au app and a predicted efficiency of 100% @90/10 shaded probability  I am doing at or above predicted output up untill 12h30, but not reaching peak output at 13h00. Do have output till later than the model prediction so my guess is that the inclination might be more than 20 degrees, (didn't measure but took from the architectual drawings and some shading that I have not forseen) I will climb on the roof sometime this weekend to check the actual. Also have output earlier than model prediction, not huge wattage but my guess is that the 22.1% efficiency rating and quality of the Mono cells are as advertised.

All in all I am very happy and actally at the point of ordering a pallet load (31) to double my panels and install some at a family members location. 

Original guess was that it was JA panels based on hole spacing, but the high efficiency rating and voltage/ampage make me believe it might be an European brand (German/Czech) or Powitt Solar

Well in any case I am happy plus all things being equal, the price, the sales service, speed of service and access to TSP for me, at least ( I am in Pretoria) made this a win.

Edited by brian1709
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

10 X 480W The Sun Pays Mono panels 5S2P  (170 Azi 20 incline)

Caveats: Time period 05H30- 18H00

  •     Incline might be steeper (based on architectual drawings not actual measurements)
  •     Shading might be present due to Parapet walls ( Seriously not spending my day 3.5 stories up checking where the shade is or is not)
  •     Think the Solcast APP is an hour lagging on actuals, as there is no light at 05H30 thids time of the year

 

image.thumb.jpeg.1104a82e8fae523feb455fbfc514aeb6.jpeg

Edited by brian1709
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Solcast tool adjusts their UTC data to local time if your location is added correctly.
This is for today as an example. Placed the curser at 07:30 and their forecast was 0.17kW(170W)

Then the snapshot from Solar Assistant for today so far and I placed the curser at the same 07:30 timeline and it was 182W PV power.
Solcast uses the Solar data as they receive it from Sutherland and Satellite data. On sunny days it's pretty close. When clouds are about the accuracy differs vastly as they cannot get local actual conditions on a global scale.

 image.png.95614dae84a8ef9d19797ba1c486250e.png

image.png.8df6f996c0beeb529725370deb9f824a.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

20220705-20220706 adjusted for UTC, interestingly by Solcast predictions 16H45 is the last useable light or at least measurable then it just goes dark, while I am getting output till after 18H00.

Good silicon, high efficiency or angle looking at western horizon?

Also looking at peak output time and the fluctuating data around that time, suspecting some shading from parapets entering into the picture, happens every day at around 12H30 to 13H15

 

20220706.thumb.png.acf4d9f51803730d707822b165341dcc.png20220705.thumb.png.29e5620ab93e3857d8706e82594cf7ff.png

Edited by brian1709
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your roof orientation is 010/170 the expect much later afternoon sun at that 20 deg incline, although your overall daily production will suffer as a result.
My house orientation is around 020/160 and with my "N" facing panels it's basically negligible PV by 16:30 in Winter.
I monitored my total roof sun exposure and I also have a "S" facing part at around 10deg slope that could take more panels. That part still has sun till around 1745 albeit at a very shallow angle. I edited my site in Solcast to place my panels there and the max PV would be about half the production that I get now.
So I still have that roof in mind should I really be desperate to expand one day. Haven't got much  "N" facing roof space left anywhere else, barring building a ground based frame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zsde said:

The Solcast tool adjusts their UTC data to local time if your location is added correctly.
This is for today as an example. Placed the curser at 07:30 and their forecast was 0.17kW(170W)

Then the snapshot from Solar Assistant for today so far and I placed the curser at the same 07:30 timeline and it was 182W PV power.
Solcast uses the Solar data as they receive it from Sutherland and Satellite data. On sunny days it's pretty close. When clouds are about the accuracy differs vastly as they cannot get local actual conditions on a global scale.

 image.png.95614dae84a8ef9d19797ba1c486250e.png

image.png.8df6f996c0beeb529725370deb9f824a.png

The data from the API is UTC AFAIU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brian1709 said:

 

20220705-20220706 adjusted for UTC, interestingly by Solcast predictions 16H45 is the last useable light or at least measurable then it just goes dark, while I am getting output till after 18H00.

Good silicon, high efficiency or angle looking at western horizon?

Also looking at peak output time and the fluctuating data around that time, suspecting some shading from parapets entering into the picture, happens every day at around 12H30 to 13H15

 

20220706.thumb.png.acf4d9f51803730d707822b165341dcc.png20220705.thumb.png.29e5620ab93e3857d8706e82594cf7ff.png

To me it looks like your query does not include anything past 18h00? I do get data, but I don't have any output then. From the data it also looks like you are clipping? (The blue curve has a flatter top than expected)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, P1000 said:

The data from the API is UTC AFAIU.

That I believe is correct. For their web GUI though they do adjust to local time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hi @brian1709

I have recently purchase and installed 12x of the 480w THESUNPAYS panels at my please and i'm not sure if my performance is as expected.

 

I have all 12 in 1x series string giving me a OC Voltage of close to 550V, each panel i have tested at 45.7V OC and 6x together at 247.3V which all adds up to the correct OC Voltage.

I dont seem to however be able to produce anywhere near the expected power output on these panels. the most i get on a got day is 2,8kW to 3kW max. Im not sure if there is a better installation sequence to use or what i can do? I was expecting peak performance to give me at least around just over 4kW.

 

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

 

I have a single infinisolar 5kW inverter and 2x 3.6kWh dyness batteries, and the 12x 480W panels connected in a single string. My panels are layed out as follows:

6x at a north east direction, 1x at true north, 2x at north west and 3x at a west facing direction, all on a single string as stated.

I use solar assistant and have attached a few snaps of panel layout and i have added last 7 days of solar assistant data.

 

Any ideas what i could be doing wrong, or if this is correct as is? 

 

Let me know if you guys need more info?591720479_20220616_162807(Large).thumb.jpg.4b9353765a123389d743f5b669b35545.jpg792743527_20220616_162755(Large).thumb.jpg.d0a16e95f8af77815ff87239b748c55f.jpg

Screenshot_20220805-081947_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220805-082005_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220805-082033_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220805-081929_Chrome.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Brian_SA said:

Hi @brian1709

I have recently purchase and installed 12x of the 480w THESUNPAYS panels at my please and i'm not sure if my performance is as expected.

 

I have all 12 in 1x series string giving me a OC Voltage of close to 550V, each panel i have tested at 45.7V OC and 6x together at 247.3V which all adds up to the correct OC Voltage.

I dont seem to however be able to produce anywhere near the expected power output on these panels. the most i get on a got day is 2,8kW to 3kW max. Im not sure if there is a better installation sequence to use or what i can do? I was expecting peak performance to give me at least around just over 4kW.

 

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

 

I have a single infinisolar 5kW inverter and 2x 3.6kWh dyness batteries, and the 12x 480W panels connected in a single string. My panels are layed out as follows:

6x at a north east direction, 1x at true north, 2x at north west and 3x at a west facing direction, all on a single string as stated.

I use solar assistant and have attached a few snaps of panel layout and i have added last 7 days of solar assistant data.

 

Any ideas what i could be doing wrong, or if this is correct as is? 

 

Let me know if you guys need more info?591720479_20220616_162807(Large).thumb.jpg.4b9353765a123389d743f5b669b35545.jpg792743527_20220616_162755(Large).thumb.jpg.d0a16e95f8af77815ff87239b748c55f.jpg

Screenshot_20220805-081947_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220805-082005_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220805-082033_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220805-081929_Chrome.jpg

It seems like there is not much you can do differently . If you were to split them into 2 strings of 6 you may end up not having enough voltage for the MPPT. Some pretty interesting specs for a 5kw inverter MPPT.

PV INPUT (DC)
Max. DC Voltage 900 VDC
MPP Voltage Range 250 VDC~850 VDC
Number of MPP Trackers/Max. Input Current 2/2x10A
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nexuss said:

It seems like there is not much you can do differently . If you were to split them into 2 strings of 6 you may end up not having enough voltage for the MPPT. Some pretty interesting specs for a 5kw inverter MPPT.

PV INPUT (DC)
Max. DC Voltage 900 VDC
MPP Voltage Range 250 VDC~850 VDC
Number of MPP Trackers/Max. Input Current 2/2x10A

I have the same panel and working fine. I do belief this time of the year over 4kw is optimistic. That is a good figure in Oct /Nov if no cloud. Currently rather expect 70-75% of PV rating. My system is using all the power it can and normal that some days only produce 66% peak value.

Edited by Scorp007
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @P1000, understand, but at 12noon lets say we should be close max, no true....as all panels are pretty much exposed?

 

@Nexuss, yes, a very high Voltage MPPT, thought it would be better to run 1x string and have a high voltage and lower current..

 

@WannabeSolarSparky ok, i will try that, basically raise the top end of the panel with around a 100mm spacer or so? or the whole panel?

 

Another question, could I have the MPPT operating voltage be set incorrectly? If i take a look at the panel spec the correct max power voltage is 39V, i currently operate at around 29V when pulling current as the voltage is at around 350v total from all 12 panels(mppt min and max set between 250 and 800)... If i set the MPPT to operate nearer to the 39V, so total 470V from all 12 panels( so set min at 400 and max at 600), would it not improve the situation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...