Eurolux 3W GU10 G1108WW rechargeable LED downlighter not working?

HowardB

Hi all,

I have an issue with some rechargeable downlighters I bought for our two bathrooms - wanted to have some basic light when the bathrooms are used, so the seemingly easiest option was to get some of these GU10's with a rechargeable built-in battery, to give approx. 2hrs of light (although 2hrs is not really needed). I bought 8 of these Eurolux GU10's - 4 for each bathroom, as they were the only short stem ones I could find that would it flush in our downlight fittings:  https://www.eurolux.co.za/products/G1108WW

The instructions state that if the power fails, switch the switch on & off to activate the light - this does absolutely nothing, no matter what speed combination you try. When there is no loadshedding and the power is on, they work fine like normal globes...

Tried using 1 single globe, as well as all 4 globes being the same on the same circuit - during a loadshedding, nothing worked - also turned them around in the holders so the pins matched, in case there was a specific pos/neg pin setting to get them working - no luck.

The manual also says that the built-in battery is only charged when the light is turned on, so I tried leaving the globes switched on for the recommended 10-12 hours charge time (did 12 hours), in case the battery was not charged - still no luck. 

I'm now at my wits-end with these - is there something I've maybe overlooked? If not, I'll return them and maybe change the light fittings to ones that accommodate the PioLED range, as these do work as advertised.

I am not familiar with these particular lights so may be they work differently to the globes I use (not downlights).

You said "The instructions state that if the power fails, switch the switch on & off to activate the light".

It is my understanding the switch needs to be ON for the light to work.

Try shorting across the contacts of one of an uninstalled downlight, if it lights up then my theory is correct.

Posted (edited)
On 2022/07/25 at 8:55 AM, Thunderdolt said:

I am not familiar with these particular lights so may be they work differently to the globes I use (not downlights).

You said "The instructions state that if the power fails, switch the switch on & off to activate the light".

It is my understanding the switch needs to be ON for the light to work.

Try shorting across the contacts of one of an uninstalled downlight, if it lights up then my theory is correct.

Thanks, yes, that's what their manual says - seems strange, but nothing works, not on, not off, not turning on/off or off/on, leaving on, leaving off, etc, etc...

Have tried numerous other things the past week. Eurolux HQ sent me a troubleshooting list for these particular globes and one of the suggestions was to bridge the contacts and see if it lights up - they say it should (once charged for 20-24hrs, which they have been), but nothing happens - this is on all 8 bulbs, which is just strange...I can understand maybe one not working, but 8 - seems almost impossible.

Their other suggested possible fixes also don't work, so I've given up now - wasted 24 hours charging these bulbs plus numerous combinations and orientations in various different fittings through the house the past week - going to return them and grab some PioLED's as they are literally plug and work ;)

Edited by HowardB