PV Power On Load

Hi,

I recently installed a solar system, with a 5kw Sunsynk Inverter.

If I export the solar power to my non-essential loads then the non-essential load and PV power in the app always displays the total power of the panels that are generated.

Is that correct?

I thought it must show the power that the non-essentials are using and then if they are not using any power then it will display everything as exported to the grid.

In the attached picture there was no non-essential load at that time, but all the power generated was exported to the non-essential load.

image.thumb.webp.d7fc0bf33b67e6be1f094b02b99c0e6f.webp

This is what the app shows. All the generated power show up as load.

image2.thumb.webp.2165190b152a3340c3d82d4cae2d6fc0.webp

Thanks, I will share the screens when I get home.

At that time though none of the non essentials were on. 

That's the issue that all the power generated by the panels always displays as non-essential load, and always between 48w-51w exported to the grid.

On 2022/08/16 at 8:20 AM, viper said:

Here are the screens:

There was no non-essential loads that were on, but it still showed 324w load.

1660627343178.thumb.jpg.b1a7527bbd7be94f82cee088b6efe714.jpg1660627444260.thumb.jpg.6322f92458ceb375a86b1131b113246c.jpg1660627343159.thumb.jpg.eee97ae223026206faae8640cf65b93b.jpg

1660627343196.jpg

Any reason why you are not running your batteries to assist with the load during the daytime at least? 

why don’t you use solar PV to charge the batteries? With all those grid ticks you are using Eskom to charge the battery up 

14 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

Why is there always 280W (missing) if one adds up what comes in from PV and you add up the battery charging + essential,  non-essential + what is exported?

Normally the inverter only uses about 70W.

I have no idea unfortunately.

20 hours ago, BryanOC6 said:

Any reason why you are not running your batteries to assist with the load during the daytime at least? 

why don’t you use solar PV to charge the batteries? With all those grid ticks you are using Eskom to charge the battery up 

The "use timer" tick is off, so I thought it's not using the schedule, but I am still trying to figure out why all the power generated by the panels show as load on the non essential side.

23 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

Why is there always 280W (missing) if ...

Normally the inverter only uses about 70W.

There isn't just the self consumption; there is also the power loss in the IGBTs which is roughly proportional to the output current, and hence the apparent power of the load. This is typically about 7%, that would imply an output of some 210 VA / 7% = 3 kVA. That seems plausible. Do you find a lower discrepancy at lower output loads?

Also, are you possibly calculating PV power using battery-side current times PV voltage? Axpert inverters report PV current at the battery side of the Solar Charge Controller. However, they always seem to report PV power correctly.

3 hours ago, Coulomb said:

This is typically about 7%, that would imply an output of some 210 VA / 7% = 3 kVA. That seems plausible. Do you find a lower discrepancy at lower output loads?

Also, are you possibly calculating PV power using battery-side current times PV voltage? Axpert inverters report PV current at the battery side of the Solar Charge Controller. However, they always seem to report PV power correctly.

As this is only my input based on the Watt readings from the Sunsynk. Thus no confusion around using the way a Axpert would provide specs or values.

Reading the values of other Sunsynk inverters this 280W difference is not present. This could be the area to look at in solving a possible problem.

I do think the inverter will not show a load on the non essential side if there is no such a load. This if the CT is positioned correctly.

• 2 weeks later...