Mecer 5KVA Inverter & Maximising Solar Use

Kalito

I have a 5KVA (4,000W) Mecer inverter (Axpert) and 2x arrays with a combined rated peak max of 3,090W (Canadian Solar 6x255W east facing and JA Solar 6x260W). The system powers the house (Kettle, Microwave and electric gysers are isolated from the inverter). Day time load is usually around 350-500W. I run additional loads during the day to maximise the inverter's draw on the panels. For example with three fridges running, living room 50" TV and home entertainment system on, water dispensor and a 0.5HP fish pond sump pump running I was under 1kW and the Inverter could draw 1.18kW (rest goes to batteries I assume).

Menu 1 is set to SOL priority. If I add a load say AC (total load becomes just under 2.5kW) the inverter switches on utility (PV draw at that time as high as 2.2 before the change over). So in essence I go to utility for the entire load save for the battery bank which remains fed by solar upto the float Watts it needs. My question is therefore if there is an Inverter out there which would intelligently utilise all the available solar i.e say 2kW and only draw the top-up from utility? It is very inefficient to entirely switch off the PV source and simply grab the paid-for utility power. Ofcourse if the load increase is gradual and within the PV max yield at that time no switch-over to utility would happen.

To further simplify from the above lets assume the following situation (PV supplies the house):

• PV generation as of a point in time: 2kW
  • House load: 1.5kW
  • Battery load: 0.1kw
  • Then a 0.75kW load is switched on moving the total load to 2.35kW:

Is there an inverter "smart enough" to utilise the 2kW from PV so that it only draws 350W from utility?

As things stand the Mecer just ignores PV entirely and gets the 2.25kW from utility and only 100W from PV (effectively ignoring 1.9kW). How do we save money like this:D

I have heard that the Imeon has this ability to only draw what it needs from utility?

NorthPV.jpg

pv210917.jpg

52 minutes ago, Kalito said:

Is there an inverter "smart enough" to utilise the 2kW from PV so that it only draws 350W from utility?

As things stand the Mecer just ignores PV entirely and gets the 2.25kW from utility and only 100W from PV (effectively ignoring 1.9kW). How do we save money like this:D

I have heard that the Imeon has this ability to only draw what it needs from utility?

There are several. You could replace your Mecer with an Infinisolar V series which is basically an Axpert on steroids which can do exactly what you require. You would not need to change your wiring - take down one inverter and put another up - same wiring  same panel and battery specs.

19 hours ago, Kalito said:

The other inverter that does this is the Victron Multiplus, but it costs a bit more than the infini and you need external MPPTs.

(Disclaimer: I have vested interests for recommending blue hardware :-) ).

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I have installed a five kva off grid inverter, with this one it comes with a disc that you can add application yo your laptop, to facilitate remote access as well as assist in programming.

I also saw it has options in which you may programme the options of PV and Utility usage. By this you can reduce your utility power consumption to minimal as during the day the PV is providing full supply to the inverter

On 2017/09/21 at 3:38 PM, Kalito said:

To further simplify from the above lets assume the following situation (PV supplies the house):

• PV generation as of a point in time: 2kW
  • House load: 1.5kW
  • Battery load: 0.1kw
  • Then a 0.75kW load is switched on moving the total load to 2.35kW:

I know this is a old thread and i’m sure there are many owners with mecer’s who are experiencing the same issue who feel they are not saving money on there system. But is there anybody who think they are actually seeing the savings or value for money with a mecer? 

7 hours ago, Edmund said:

I have installed a five kva off grid inverter, with this one it comes with a disc that you can add application yo your laptop

Is this the Watchpower application that comes with Mecers / Axperts?

2 hours ago, Gerrie said:

I know this is a old thread and i’m sure there are many owners with mecer’s who are experiencing the same issue who feel they are not saving money on there system. But is there anybody who think they are actually seeing the savings or value for money with a mecer? 

I am currently running a 5kVA/4kW Mecer unit - and can not say that I have been experiencing this issue. As you can see from the picture below, whenever the load (blue) exceeds the available PV (green) the Mecer draws from the batteries (purple). Utility (red) has not been used during this time

Mecer.jpg

However, it is correct that this model cannot supplement PV with utility - only PV and battery

22 minutes ago, wolfandy said:

However, it is correct that this model cannot supplement PV with utility - only PV and battery

Nice graph, even though batteries have been used, it was for very short durations and it looks like the pv power counter acted very quick and replaced that used energy to the batteries the moment the peak load switched off. 

There’s a nice win for the day in your favor and Eskom down a few points😀

8 hours ago, Gerrie said:

I started this thread then! I am still using the same Mecer but on SBU (Solar Battery Utility priority) as I discovered I had the storage and the PV. We have about 12hrs load-shedding daily. I do not mind as I have all the juice I need and do not use grid to charge my battery bank. In short not only has the Mecer improved my quality of life, it has also saved me money and continues to.

10 hours ago, Kalito said:

I am still using the same Mecer but on SBU (Solar Battery Utility priority) as I discovered I had the storage and the PV.

I’m glad to hear you’r still using the same inverter, Sometimes just changing a setting can make a big difference. The nice thing is if your panels allow you don’t have to touch Eskom at all. If you have the batteries for night it’s even much better.

• 1 year later...
On 2020/04/23 at 5:08 PM, wolfandy said:

I am currently running a 5kVA/4kW Mecer unit - and can not say that I have been experiencing this issue. As you can see from the picture below, whenever the load (blue) exceeds the available PV (green) the Mecer draws from the batteries (purple). Utility (red) has not been used during this time

Mecer.jpg

Hi, 

Is this through the raspberry pi? 
I am looking for this kind of monitoring. 
thanks 

6 hours ago, LeeMun said:

Is this through the raspberry pi? 
I am looking for this kind of monitoring. 

That's ICC (Inverter Control Centre). It's for-money monitoring software that runs on a Pi.

There are other monitoring solutions, some free. Search for Solar Assistant, SolPipLog, etc.