Axpert VMIII 4kw 24V firmware & miscellaneous

mafiose13

Hello everyone, 

I recently installed this 4kw Axpert VMIII (Production date 7/2022), the unit was outputting -5V from any voltage setting 215v for the 220 and for the 230v and 225 for 240V setting. Also some settings were self resetting. Like I'd set float/bulk voltage. check 2 min later to find them back to stock. 

Unit was exchanged same day from the supplier....same output. 

Was running U1 55.02 U2 19.12

The supplier provided me with an updated U1 firmware 55.06. These issues were immediately corrected & Now voltage output is on the dot. No more wizzardy self resets of parameters. 

So Currently on U1. 55.06 U2 19.12. 

I am noticing that PV max output at max load is quite subpar (asked this question in another part of the forum to see if this is normal for orientation). However, I do notice that PV voltage is sometimes stuck at 120V barely producing any W in the morning, then shoots to 250-260v (6 x 550w arrays installed), but only gets 1550-1560w. 

Could this be a software limitation just like the voltage situation?

I asked the supplier for another firmware update if available and he supplied me with U1 44.03 and U2 19.16. U1 is a bit strange to me....totally off from the current 55.06? U2 seems logically sequenced 19.16 from 19.12 ...but who knows?

Is anyone familiar with these updates? and any opinion on the above situation?

Edited by mafiose13

17 hours ago, mafiose13 said:

I recently installed this 4kw Axpert VMIII (Production date 7/2022),

Presumably, it's one of the recent Twin models, and looks a bit like this:

image.png.7348149ba43a1d460f15dbe82ca54dca.png

18 hours ago, mafiose13 said:

Was running U1 55.02 U2 19.12

The supplier provided me with an updated U1 firmware 55.06. These issues were immediately corrected

Good to know that 55.06 fixes the bugs in 55.02.

I do notice that PV voltage is sometimes stuck at 120V barely producing any W in the morning, then shoots to 250-260v (6 x 550w arrays installed), but only gets 1550-1560w. 

If you're in the northern hemisphere, then you're in the middle of winter, and production will be a lot less than in summer. What was the weather like, are the panels at a good orientation, and are they under snow?

Certainly, the stuck at 120 V is a well known bug, being a version of the "stuck at 90 V" problem that we see with the Max models. The bug seems to affect all Voltronic models with the high voltage solar charge controller, going back to the first Axpert MKS IIs in 2017 or so, perhaps much earlier.

It should be possible to patch the firmware to improve the performance, though we're still deciding on the best approach. When all the dust settles, send the 55.06 update file and I'll see what I can do. For technical reasons, VM III firmware is some of the hardest to patch, but it can be done.

I asked the supplier for another firmware update if available and he supplied me with U1 44.03 and U2 19.16.

Axpert firmware version numbers are certainly hard to follow, and the recent explosion of new models (e.g. these Twin models, and there seem to be Dual models as well) and the two DSP and display chips, and it certainly gets crazy. I've not seen any 55.xx, 19.xx, or 44.xx firmware version numbers so far. I'm happy to take a look at them if you post them here, or PM them to me, or host them somewhere and post or send a link. Time will be a bit tight for a while, though.

8 hours ago, Coulomb said:

Presumably, it's one of the recent Twin models, and looks a bit like this:

image.png.7348149ba43a1d460f15dbe82ca54dca.png

Good to know that 55.06 fixes the bugs in 55.02.

If you're in the northern hemisphere, then you're in the middle of winter, and production will be a lot less than in summer. What was the weather like, are the panels at a good orientation, and are they under snow?

Certainly, the stuck at 120 V is a well known bug, being a version of the "stuck at 90 V" problem that we see with the Max models. The bug seems to affect all Voltronic models with the high voltage solar charge controller, going back to the first Axpert MKS IIs in 2017 or so, perhaps much earlier.

It should be possible to patch the firmware to improve the performance, though we're still deciding on the best approach. When all the dust settles, send the 55.06 update file and I'll see what I can do. For technical reasons, VM III firmware is some of the hardest to patch, but it can be done.

Axpert firmware version numbers are certainly hard to follow, and the recent explosion of new models (e.g. these Twin models, and there seem to be Dual models as well) and the two DSP and display chips, and it certainly gets crazy. I've not seen any 55.xx, 19.xx, or 44.xx firmware version numbers so far. I'm happy to take a look at them if you post them here, or PM them to me, or host them somewhere and post or send a link. Time will be a bit tight for a while, though.

No snow, my numbers are from a best scenario on peak hours and bright sun. If the panels see a sight of a cloud they drop to watt production in the 10s or 20s ...even at peak hours of the day. They just seem over sensitive to just anything. They are though facing South, 10 deg slop at lat 34. Not ideal but i am forced with this orientation due to roof orientation.  I have a another similar system of the 6 panels at my summer house that is 35deg tilted due north that for example got 2.4kw peaks today, started production at daybreak 7AM and immediately hits 220v from those hours. While this one hangs at the 119-120 produces 10-30 watts despicably till about 10:30 am then voltage kicks ups to the 200s,  steadily improving till 1 pm peaked 1350w then declines to 3pm then by 4:30pm eventhough the sun is out i get barely 20-30watts. 

Can I email you the 55.06 to see if it can be patched?  Can you pm your email? I think it's best to go off of that version because iy fixed the other issues, but this issue not. 

I am not comfortable with the 44 version, and see no need to update U2 unless i get a clear confirmation from the supplier that there is no mistake in sending wrong versions. 

Edited by mafiose13

Couple of more bugs to report on this firmware:

- Battery equalization is randomly dropped or prematurely terminated. Sometimes it works just fine, most of the time I find it ends at in 20-40min range regardless of time set to equalize. 

- When batteries reach 100% in floating with 0A flowing to them, something strange starts to happen. 

10 seconds of 0A and floating 27.2v, all of a sudden i hear a click noise/switch, fans kick up, charging amps kick up to 12-15A for 1 sec (kicking battery volt to near bulk), then taper down 8A 4A back to 0A within 3 seconds....fans taper down. 10-12 secs later same process. So instead to maintaining a super low current to maintain float, it seems when current needed to maintain float drops to 0A, the charger enters into a bulk type mode and realises battery are full and tapers down.

Those 2 issues are added to the current bugs on this firmware:

- Speedy absorption/bulk, Premature float while solar charging.

- Super crapy mppt performance but especially in cloudy weather/morning/afternoon, the "stuck bug"

WI-55.06.7z

• mafiose13 changed the title to Axpert VMIII 4kw 24V firmware & miscellaneous

I want to avoid a new thread on this unit. 

Anyone knows what this setting is for?

It's not in the manual as well (photo of manual included)

- Option 38: Gtd (photo attached), clicking ENTER gives you  00/00 you can toggle between the zeros by clicking enter, up/down to change the values (photo attached)

20230108_205540.jpg

20230108_205523.jpg

20230108_205642.jpg

Edited by mafiose13

5 minutes ago, mafiose13 said:

- Option 38: Gtd (photo attached), clicking ENTER gives you  00/00 you can toggle between the zeros by clicking enter, up/down to change the values (photo attached)

Screenshot_20230108-204715_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230108-204709_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230108-193502_Drive.jpg

The screenshots only shows an icon and no picture. Please insert the image. 

9 minutes ago, mafiose13 said:

sorry was editing the pics, try again now

Shows fine now. :)

Values not the same but this is what I have around 38. Neutral grounding. My Axpert does not have this setting and does the grounding in the inverter. 

IMG_20230108_210931.thumb.jpg.bd4eda977add52f47b87635d0b17c61d.jpg

Edited by Scorp007

19 hours ago, mafiose13 said:

That seems like a bug in the display firmware. I can't confirm as I don't have display firmware for these relatively new models (unless it's the same as used in other models... what is your display (U2) firmware version?).

I can see in some other display firmwares that there is an option for setting 38 with the options GRD and GRE. I'd say it's a setting for another model, and the firmware should be skipping over that one. Ah, maybe this is a setting for an Infini V... This is the first model I came across, it has it at setting 09 though:

image.png.3f0b92eafe139f9195d322ec9d496383.png

Obviously, that should not be a setting for an off-grid model like the Axpert VM III (Twin or not).

🪲😒

19 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

what I have around 38.

For whatever reasons (I assume hysterical reasons 😉), the VM III has different setting numbers from other models. it makes the display firmware (which handles Kings as well as VM IIIs) a nightmare. So you can't look up other manuals like that, at least not for the VM III.

I can't wait to update this funky buggy firmware.....bcz I have 3 of those units in my household.....heeeeeeeelp me ...save meeeee :D

I'm goint to try and change those zeros under that option to see what they change to and report back. 

On a separate note, i tried programming the timer for output priorities SUB today & oddly enough when under this mode, the inverter sees SUB as Solar AND Utility so it shares the load between the 2, instead of taking all it can from Solar and if not enough to complement from utility. Notice on my watch power screenshot, batteries full at 27.2v drawing 0A....this is at 1 pm with plenty of sunshine, yet under SUB it wants to take only 100W from PV,.while load is 365W....not even sharing 50/50

Screenshot_20230109-174829_Gallery.jpg

Edited by mafiose13

2 hours ago, Coulomb said:

what is your display (U2) firmware version?).

Currently U2: 19.12 which is the original factory firmware on all 3 units.

So clicking enter on 38 Grd, takes you to the 00/00 screen, with top left 0 flashing, you can cycle it and it from 0 to 9, enter now highlight right top 0 also (0 to 9), enter now highlights bottom left 0 ( can be set from 0 to 9), ENTER....same for bottom right

Screenshot_20230109-181239_Gallery.jpg

Edited by mafiose13

4 hours ago, Coulomb said:

That's a new one on me, although my notes say that very firmware version has been seen in an Axpert King II.

I do have a 19.16 version (already shared with you). I didn't hear back from the supplier, so my reluctancy to flash it is still overpowering my anxiousness :D besides U2 is the least of my concerns right now,  unlike the major U1 bugs. Did you have any chance to look at the U1 55.06?

6 hours ago, mafiose13 said:

I do have a 19.16 version (already shared with you).

Duh! That was really late at night, and I forgot to open up the display update files the next day. I'll have a look now.

6 hours ago, mafiose13 said:

Did you have any chance to look at the U1 55.06?

Briefly. I'll have another look now too.

On 2023/01/08 at 7:53 PM, mafiose13 said:

20230108_205540.jpg

20230108_205523.jpg

20230108_205642.jpg

do you have the 4024mt? twin version? because my manual is different, i have other parameters between 37 and 94

SP24_Axpert_VM_III_TWIN_20220718_ITA.pdf

6 minutes ago, lucass said:

i have other parameters between 37 and 94

? I only see settings 60-71, which are BMS specific, and in a separate section of the manual. No 38, in particular. If you can find it, please paste a screen capture, or at least give a page number.

On 2023/01/10 at 12:10 AM, Coulomb said:

That seems like a bug in the display firmware.

I'd say it is; my guess is that they didn't initialise a Boolean variable to zero. It's a nightmare to check which variables are initialised to what, unless or until I write some code to help decode the C runtime initialisation table.

So you're not supposed to see this setting at all. If you send a QFLAGDd command, it will likely go away. The 'D' is for Disable, and the 'd' is for "Enable/Disable solar feed to grid (reserved feature)" according to a protocol manual. I'm guessing it's not a reserved feature for Infinis. To enable this menu, you are supposed to send a QFLAGEd and also a PFED1 command. PFED is a fairly recent command. Obviously, "FED" stands for grid FEeD.

Edit: As for what the four zeros are about, and what toggles between that format and the GRE/GRD display, it's pretty complex.

Edited by Coulomb

1 hour ago, Coulomb said:

I'd say it is; my guess is that they didn't initialise a Boolean variable to zero. It's a nightmare to check which variables are initialised to what, unless or until I write some code to help decode the C runtime initialisation table.

So you're not supposed to see this setting at all. If you send a QFLAGDd command, it will likely go away. The 'D' is for Disable, and the 'd' is for "Enable/Disable solar feed to grid (reserved feature)" according to a protocol manual. I'm guessing it's not a reserved feature for Infinis. To enable this menu, you are supposed to send a QFLAGEd and also a PFED1 command. PFED is a fairly recent command. Obviously, "FED" stands for grid FEeD.

Edit: As for what the four zeros are about, and what toggles between that format and the GRE/GRD display, it's pretty complex.

so quite a learning curve for me here. Would it be best to just let it be and not touch it? I mean besides it being visible and enabling/disabling it's visibility to me, should this function be disabled or enabled and what would it affect either way in terms of inverter/performance function? It sayd Grd as is now. 

Would flashing U2 19.16 or any other compatible MCU firmware take care of it?

Once i flash a patched U1 that addresses some of the issues we have, ill move to U2. 

10 hours ago, WallK said:

Sorry to barge in, but can you perhaps request your supplier to give you 6KW VMIII Twin firmware?
Maybe there's an updated one for my issue too
Thank you!

I'll ask, but they don't have yet any VMIIIs twin yet in their stock so I  doub they'll be helpful...In my case eventhough bought 6 units of this VMIII 4k from them Ive been waiting a month now for the promissed firmware....not holding my breath !!!

On the other hand, I'm not sure if once the 55.06 is patched up whether it will work for you or not, more experienced people can give you their input @Coulomb on that one.