Infinisolar 3kw+ settings please...

uhmmm ... just got a new fault message ... I wish I had been logging com port

2024    Warning    2016-04-06 13:24:39    Fan fault
2012    Warning    2016-04-06 13:24:39    Require power from the power grid

nothing wrong with any fan. and there was no power outage of any type so I am not sure what that "stand by" is supposed to mean:

log-01.jpg

... dish washer is heating up water.

It looks to me that better communication through LAN is actually returning fake errors which I did not use to receive before.

confusing ... :(

EDIT: I am changing virtual com port settings disabling "strict baudrate" option (which I had also disabled for wifi) : may that resolve fake errors issue?

Option "synchronize baud-rate (RFC2217 similar)" I think was enabled for wifi so I will keep that enabled.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a similar problem. Every now and again I noticed that the PV power dropped quite a lot for a few minutes at a time while the skies are clear and the sun shines bright. My only thought was that o

A few guys contacted me directly with questions about "how much overload" the 3kw inverter can really take?. My assesment is that maximum load from grid is just below 30A (last peak measurement I

in order to try and get to better numbers for my Discharge limits, I decided to do a discharge test...   just a quick recap:   setup: infini3kP with 4x 200Ah Sonic Gel batteries.   load: all house

Posted Images

Stupid question: in SolarPower (version 1.07) sw settings there is  AC output ON/Off Timer: Set up on/off time for AC output of inverter. If setting it. as 00:00/00:00, this function is disabled.

I always assumed this to mean AC output to grid ON/Off Timer

Since I cannot feed back to grid I have never tested this function.

Do I understand this setting correctly?

What happens if "Allow  feed-in to the grid" is un-ticked and "AC output ON/Off Timer" is active?

Another question: there is no setting anywhere for scheduling supply load from batteries, is there?

Maybe in later sw versions?

Thanks.

Ok, so the timer is only for the output of the unit. Not really sure how you use that function.

Perhaps what you are looking for is "Grid tie with Backup(IV)".

Here you can set your peak times, but you also have different priorities for each time slot.

my options are limited by the fact that Jhb City Power pulse meter will charge me if I supply to grid.

I see little point in using batteries except when load is well below 50% of inverter load (which is after everyone has gone to sleep) and below 55% battery capacity (although specs say I can discharge batteries to 0% a few hundred times) otherwise batteries will discharge too quickly which is not good for battery life.

Before any comments: I am pretty happy with my batteries values (which are same as set by the battery manufacturer in the Infini used in their "Energy Storage Unit") and having spent a bit of time with the factory engineer I am convinced they are the best for my system.

It's too easy to overlook the reality that batteries are the major running cost and  that there is little point in saving 50 bucks of electricity when it comes at a battery cost of 100 bucks or more.

In my tests I can notice that a lower battery discharge is much more efficient in terms of total daily kwh output so I intend to use batteries only for power outages and/or from 1am to sunrise. I need to figure out a way to make it happen automatically.

The other challenge is how to maximize PV usage: my load under inverter is too erratic jumping from 20-30% of PV potential production to 200% of PV production. The net result is that for same sun conditions in different days I waste up to 8kwh of production. Even by running pool pump under inverter. I have tested that simply by synchronizing feed-to-grid (meaning I "click" fed-to-grid on and off) with running of heat pump (which is out of inverter) I can save (or rather "produce") ~4kwh per day more. 

How to implement this without wasting most of the day is another story :D

Since winter is coming I wouldn't mind to try to run the kitchen underfloor heater (1800w - also out of inverter) between remaining gaps in load but synchronizing this manually would mean to waste the remaining half of the day :D

eh eh ... anyone who gets bored easily should buy a solar inverter ;)

A few guys contacted me directly with questions about "how much overload" the 3kw inverter can really take?.

My assesment is that maximum load from grid is just below 30A (last peak measurement I noticed was a 6798kw 227%) which happens to be also thee value of the trip switch recommended by supplier for connection of the inverter to the  grid.

The next question was: for how long can load exceed 3000W when connected to grid?

My assessment is: as long as power is being supplied by grid.

As Cobus asked me this question this was what the status was:

overload-with grid.jpg

No problem at all although load well exceeded 3000W (up to a max of 5382W) for more than 5 minutes.

I had not tested overload during a power outage till today.

Today I experienced a 3hour 9 minutes power outage: I actually did not experience it since I became aware of it only >2 hours after it had started.when I was asked what had gone wrong with the borehole water supply.

Sun power had completely taken care of load with batteries temporarily compensating any shortfall and immediately being recharged back to 100%

Sweet :) ... and I still have to plug in 2 more panels ( already on my roof ) to the arrays because I have been too lazy to disconnect the arrays and re-route existing solar cable.

While checking logs I realized that I had been in overload a couple of times already while I was unaware of the power outage (in one event 3172W for over one minute).

Finally a real life opportunity to check overload !

Starting the microwave for a minute was not enough to enter overload mode: from 1127W to 2553w and back to basic 1178W load.

I need more load: what about the kettle?

Overload warnings ... I wait to see what happens next while load is at 150% and more ... I am expecting shutdown but nothing happens excepts more warnings.

It feels this has gone on for a very long time and the microware timer runs out. My wife restarts it immediately (but load never goes below 100%) and overload warnings continue for some time. Eventually some 15-20 seconds later inverter shuts down.

Microwave and kettle are switched off and I wait to see what happens. For some reason (did I read this in the manual?) I expect inverter to restart supply of load after 300 seconds (5min) so I wait and wait.

After 5 minutes I give up and I push the inverter ON button and supply to load is restored.

The fault log tells me 151% load level, 19.5A

overload-fault log.jpg

This is the full data log of the event:

overload-no grid.jpg

Logs tell me that overload only took place over 2 intervals (30 sec each). It felt almost as it was more than 1.5 minutes at least. I should have timed it. Contact between PC and inverter was lost because when power supply stopped my rs232-to-LAN unit lost power as well. I will connect it to a ups in my next test.

And looking at the log I am no longer sure that I have actually waited the full 300seconds for the restart ... maybe I was too quick to push the ON button.

A doubt remains: will inverter recover automatically after an overload fault or does it need for the ON button on LCD to be pushed?

Nevertheless I am very impressed with my inverter: 150% load for well more than one minute is an unexpected result. I would have been satisfied with 15 seconds at 150%. I am now curious to see if time would have extended with a lesser overload %. In any case I know now that accidental overloads will not be a problem: I'll have enough time to shut to my wife: SWITCH IT OFF !!!

This inverter is well above all my expectations. At this point I know I would not swap it for a 5kw inverter as I had originally planned. In addition to the inverter cost a change would also require complete re-wiring and a further investment in batteries (I am running only a 150Ah battery bank). Maybe ... only if I had space available on the roof for extra PV arrays (which i don't) and I could feed back to grid (which I cannot).

I hope my experience can help someone in decision making.

I've had a similar experience a few days after I've installed my infini about a year ago. It was a Saturday afternoon and we had loadshedding. It was after 16:00 and PV generation has dropped to about 1KW at that time.  My wife was busy vacuuming floors and at least 2 TVs, fridge(s) and / or freezer as well as other parasitic loads like dstv / electric fence / PC etc. etc. were running from the inverter. Without thinking about loadshedding, I started vacuuming the car at the same time. After a few minutes my vacuum cleaner stopped working and I thought it was the intermittent lead connection again and switched it off, checked and fiddled the lead and switched it back on again, vacuumed some more and a few minutes later it died again, I fiddled again and it started working again. A few minutes later it stopped again and then I investigated some more. I noticed that the time on the digital clock in the garage was reset and went to ask my wife if the power went off while she was vacuuming and she confirmed it happened a few times. I then realized that we've probably overloaded the inverter and it self-recovered. Then I checked the load on the inverter and saw that while she vacuumed the total load was about 2.2KW and when I started my vacuum cleaner as well it went to about 3.7KW and after a few minutes the inverter tripped and about a minute later everything started up again.

I have also recently tested the overload capability while the grid was available - I loaded the inverter with a total load of just under 6KW for about 10 minutes without any issues.

OK so that is good news. I was worried about only having 5kw. I tested my system yesterday. The heatpump does not put any spikes on the system, but when I start a aircon it will sound a overload warning when I start the aircon.  Then it will drop down and the aircon runs without any problem. So can I assume that it will be ok as it will spike to about 10kw for a second or 2 only when the aircon motor starts.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2016 at 3:01 AM, MaurizioZA said:

Hello.I am from Pakistan. i have recently installed INFINI 3K PLUS. with 2000W pv input. i am facing a problem with my Grid electricity. its frequency is not at all stable. it jumps till 50.5 but the volts r stable around 227V. the reason of unstable grid frequency is my community  uses Generator to fill the huge load gap in summers. i wanted to aks u if i could change the maximum Frequency settings? will it harm the inverter? if it is safe plz let me know the Factory Password to change the Max. frequency settings. i hope the Factory Password is same as yours. waiting for reply

new.jpg

9 minutes ago, Hasan said:

Hello.I am from Pakistan. i have recently installed INFINI 3K PLUS. with 2000W pv input. i am facing a problem with my Grid electricity. its frequency is not at all stable. it jumps till 50.5 but the volts r stable around 227V. the reason of unstable grid frequency is my community  uses Generator to fill the huge load gap in summers. i wanted to aks u if i could change the maximum Frequency settings? will it harm the inverter? if it is safe plz let me know the Factory Password to change the Max. frequency settings. i hope the Factory Password is same as yours. waiting for reply

Hi Hasan, welcome to the forum.  I've sent you the password.  Let us know if it worked.

Interesting, my dad had a similar issue with the Fronius. His grid frequency is 49.9Hz and it didn't like it until they manually tuned it a bit :-)

Now I'm just wondering, what does the infini do if the grid frequency fluctuates, an event that normally indicates an islanding condition? I would expect it to disconnect and run off batteries :-)

1 minute ago, plonkster said:

Interesting, my dad had a similar issue with the Fronius. His grid frequency is 49.9Hz and it didn't like it until they manually tuned it a bit :-)

Now I'm just wondering, what does the infini do if the grid frequency fluctuates, an event that normally indicates an islanding condition? I would expect it to disconnect and run off batteries :-)

I had a similar problem. Every now and again I noticed that the PV power dropped quite a lot for a few minutes at a time while the skies are clear and the sun shines bright. My only thought was that one of these huge birds in our area (I don't know what they are, but they are huge and so are their no.2's) camped out on a panel and caused partial shading - as you know partial shading / covering one cell has a huge impact when you have only 1 serial string of panels. It is quite easy to get on to the roof and usually whenever I noticed this behavior I would grab the ladder and go check the panels, but to my surprise I never spotted a bird, there was no partial shading and no no.2's covering enough of any of the cells to cause the drop in PV, so I always thought that it might have been a bird and it flew away before I got to the panels.

Then about a month ago on the Sunday morning I walked through the garage again and noticed the same behavior - a drop in inverter fan speed usually indicates lower PV power. I grabbed the ladder again and again found nothing out of the ordinary on any of the panels, but this time when I got back to the inverter the PV was still low. 

I then switched on the PC and checked the settings and the logs and then spotted the "Grid frequency upper limit reached" warning and noticed that the grid frequency was at 50.2 Hz and the upper limit was set to 50.1 Hz. Needless to say, as soon as I've changed the upper limit to 50.3 Hz, the PV power shot up and the inverter started feeding to the grid again.

The verdict - the lower overall grid load on the Sunday morning caused the grid frequency to rise which caused the inverter to stop feeding back.

just to follow up:

1 hour ago, Hasan said:

will it harm the inverter?

My understanding is that your inverter sends your MONITORED DEVICE INFORMATION to the software:

Monitored device information.jpg

Then you may adjust PARAMETERS SETTINGS within those MONITORED DEVICE INFORMATION parameters (I did not try if software accepts any parameter outside range but I would imagine not and in any case I do not suggest to anyone to attempt that):

Parameter settings.jpg

Obviously the closer to the preset factory settings in DEVICE INFORMATION and the happier your inverter should be.

For example I was having trouble with min and max AC INPUT FREQUENCY. Although device supports a range between 40 and 55Hz I found that altering the range between 47.6 and 50.4Hz was perfectly sufficient for me.

I saw no point in widen the range further because wider ranges might have negative effect on appliances and even trigger earth leakage to trip.

5 minutes ago, MaurizioZA said:

I did not try if software accepts any parameter outside range but I would imagine not 

Yes, you are correct, the software limits the ranges. Another question is if the inverter would accept values outside the ranges - I have not tried that though.

46 minutes ago, superdiy said:

The verdict - the lower overall grid load on the Sunday morning caused the grid frequency to rise which caused the inverter to stop feeding back.

very interesting observation.

I had been assuming that inverter would have switched to PV and keep abnormal supply from grid out of the system, but obviously it is the other way around.

That one reason more to keep my two servers under UPS with voltage regulator.

Originally I had planned to sell UPS and 4 x 150Ah batteries once inverter and PV was installed. Then I realized that it was nice to be able to be able work on inverter and DB board / earth leakage without worrying about supply to servers (I have UPS under inverter). Then some faulty appliance tripped the earth leakage and it became obvious I still needed the UPS. Eventually we had a very long power outage and by early morning inverter batteries were out and PV power was insufficient for about one hour: at that point UPS took over and saved the day: it's great peace of mind to know that UPS can still run servers for >9hours after inverter  is out.

Anything up to 53Hz should be completely fine. GTIs that do GFPR (Grid Frequency-dependent Power Reduction) use frequency for control in micro-grids, where 50Hz means "gooi mielies (aka keep it coming!)" and 53Hz means "we're good here, please shut down production completely".

I remember, many years ago on the farm, the VCR would not keep time properly when running on the Diesel generator (it was fine on the inverter). Turns out we were running at something like 55hz, and the VCR used grid frequency to drive its clock.

(That was an original JVC made in Japan, before the Chinese bought the name and started slapping it onto cheap crap... but I digress).

1 minute ago, plonkster said:

VCR used grid frequency to drive its clock.

Quite a few household appliances work like that - certain stoves / ovens with built-in clocks / timers, certain microwave ovens as well as the good old bedside clock radio. When eskom struggles, the clocks run slow and everybody is late for work. :D

Hang on, I just thought of something else here. Perhaps too wide a frequency range is a bad idea. Let me explain.

So suppose your community runs from this generator, and at the same time your infini also feeds back into this microgrid. Now as long as the overall consumption in the community is more than you're feeding back, the generator picks up the slack and everyone is happy. But what happens if, say, a breaker trips and suddenly a lot of load is taken off the grid, so that now you have more capacity than the community uses. What should happen, is that the generator speeds up due to the loss of load, which causes the frequency to go up, which indicates an islanding event, so you disconnect. This is good. Setting this too wide might be bad for both the inverter and the generator.

2 hours ago, MaurizioZA said:

Then I realized that it was nice to be able to be able work on inverter and DB board / earth leakage without worrying about supply to servers (I have UPS under inverter). Then some faulty appliance tripped the earth leakage and it became obvious I still needed the UPS. Eventually we had a very long power outage and by early morning inverter batteries were out and PV power was insufficient for about one hour: at that point UPS took over and saved the day: it's great peace of mind to know that UPS can still run servers for >9hours after inverter is out.

And that Plonkster is yet another reason why I also kept my UPS ... and as I said before, I sommer use the UPS'es vans to vent the cupboard the batts are in. :P

21 hours ago, superdiy said:

Hi Hasan, welcome to the forum.  I've sent you the password.  Let us know if it worked.

Thanks Again. i Applied the password last night and it worked. i have altered the Max. Frequency from 50.1 to 50.7. this was enough for me inverter to stay on Grid all night during on grid times.

20160519_093636.jpg

19 hours ago, MaurizioZA said:

For example I was having trouble with min and max AC INPUT FREQUENCY. Although device supports a range between 40 and 55Hz I found that altering the range between 47.6 and 50.4Hz was perfectly sufficient for me.

yes u r right. i made minor change from 50.1 to 50.7 in Max Frequency only.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24.03.2016. at 10:57 PM, Hristo said:

I Know that is 100Ah is small backup.

Battery is new and voltage show is 54V,I have fuse DC 32A,but same things hapend without fuse.Wire is 16mm2.

I tested today with solar panel energy,and backup work good.

Test load is 2kw and when is not enaugh PV energy ,battery discharge up 25A.

But if is out conected PV inverters go in the errors 2,after 21.

I use configuracion Grid tie with backuop 1.

Know dont undestain this situation with this error.

Thanks.

After 2 mounts I found error.

I programing new DSP and MCU firmware from the http://www.ostrovni-elektrarny.cz/index.php?page=podpora and work greits.