Looking for USB interface

5 hours ago, Coulomb said:

That part costs under R10:

https://www.mouser.co.za/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/RS1J-E3-5AT?qs=lBalI7KQBwqGckUc1sVLow==

It will of course cost a lot more for shipping. And of course, it may not be the only part that failed.

It's just a high speed 1 A silicon diode. Rated at 600 V, but it only need to be about 50 V. You might be able to buy one at a local electronics store (I have no idea where you'd go in South Africa). Even if it's a through-hole part, you could probably make one fit to see if that fixes the problem (if you or a friend is handy with electronics).

Excellent, thanks for all your information, this is the first that I will try!

My concern with that is not just replacing the diode, which is easy, but why it blew in the first place. Diodes don't usually break like that unless their maximum current was exceeded by a LOT (if you only exceed it by a bit, the diode just gets too hot and, if it gets hot enough, may even desolder itself from the PCB) or their max. reverse voltage was exceeded by a fair amount. So I would guess that something else broke first and the blown diode is just a symptom. My guess would be that something else blew short circuit and the diode had to carry the short circuit current, which caused it to blow as well.

8 hours ago, Stanley said:

My concern with that is not just replacing the diode, which is easy, but why it blew in the first place. Diodes don't usually break like that unless their maximum current was exceeded by a LOT

Indeed. A sadly common problem with the comms boards is that the small transformer (technically a multi-winding inductor) overheats and there are shorted turns. Those transformers are one of the very few components that you can't order from an electronic component supplier; they are all custom wound. Check for discolouration of the transformer (the thing with yellow tape on it).

I've heard of people obtaining replacement communications boards from Ebay or the like. Fortunately, the comms boards haven't changed in function all that much, so one from a slightly different model should be fine (as long as it has the right connectors).

Hello,

I had a bad experience with my "easun 3kva mppt ... " wich seems to be the same hardware as axpert VM II series. After a rain with lot of lightnings my inverter went off with warning "20" ont its display. The error isn't in the manual.

It does not start anymore, but I searched for problems and found 2 faulty boards.

1. the communication board ( D2 burned ) PN:16-500900-00G

2. the CNTL Board PN:16-501053-00G

Please let me know if anyone could help me buy this boards ( especially the CNTL Board ) because I can't use the inverter anymore.

I am from Romania but I am willing to pay for shipping without problem.

Thanks a lot for your future support.

8A6DED87-3C23-4DC0-A958-F97434CE5741_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d78ba9f4d7a2046db76ed3054949e004.jpeg

6091C80E-2C0B-4E9C-BBA3-CD0396F29032_1_105_c.jpeg

On 2020/10/09 at 4:34 PM, Coulomb said:

Indeed. A sadly common problem with the comms boards is that the small transformer (technically a multi-winding inductor) overheats and there are shorted turns. Those transformers are one of the very few components that you can't order from an electronic component supplier; they are all custom wound. Check for discolouration of the transformer (the thing with yellow tape on it).

I've heard of people obtaining replacement communications boards from Ebay or the like. Fortunately, the comms boards haven't changed in function all that much, so one from a slightly different model should be fine (as long as it has the right connectors).

Do you perhaps know what the point of the transformer is?

I'm guessing they are either trying to use as isolation in part of a DC->DC converter

Or more likely an AC->DC converter?

If it is the latter it is a much easier fix to just buy some pre-made AC->DC converters from Banggood

9 hours ago, Gnome said:

Do you perhaps know what the point of the transformer is?

It's to power the comms board electronics. A few diodes and capacitors on the outputs generate +12, -12 V, and very likely +5 for the USB chip and logic.

9 hours ago, Gnome said:

I'm guessing they are either trying to use as isolation in part of a DC->DC converter

Yes. It converts battery voltage (on the main board) to high frequency AC, which is transformed to various voltages to provide isolated power. Most of the electronics on the main board is referenced to neutral, which can have several volts of 50 Hz AC on it. This would wreak havoc with the comms, and with various faults and/or wiring errors, could provide a shock hazard to users.

9 hours ago, Gnome said:

Or more likely an AC->DC converter?

If it is the latter it is a much easier fix to just buy some pre-made AC->DC converters from Banggood

I suppose you could rectify (with a fast diode) and filter the HFPW (High Frequency PoWer), and use off-the-shelf isolating DC-DC converters for the various power supplies needed. It would be a bit of work, and would take up a fair bit of space.

I suppose you could use an AC→DC converter directly, but it would have to be one designed for high frequency input. Most would use ordinary diodes that are fine for 50 or 60 Hz, but no good for 20 kHz.

My partial trace of the comms board circuit shows only ±12 V outputs, but there could easily be another winding that I didn't bother tracing that produces +5 V.

On 2020/10/09 at 4:34 PM, Coulomb said:

After reading your post, I tried with another comms board from another Inverter that I had at home. I checked and the two internal connections were the same, so I've tried but unfortunately doesn´t work. Also, I had checked the yellow film around the original comms board transformer and it looks good, however, the hot summer temps could likely overheat anything.

14 hours ago, solardavid said:
does anyone know the connections of the CN2 connector of the card such as tx rx +5 volts?
it is the second card that I replace and I would like to understand why ...

I note that if the comms board has a USB connector, that connector becomes CN1 and all the others go up by 1 (so for most of us, the white 6-pin connector is CN3). See this post for comparisons.

I have a partial schematic trace here.

2 hours ago, Coulomb said:

I note that if the comms board has a USB connector, that connector becomes CN1 and all the others go up by 1 (so for most of us, the white 6-pin connector is CN3). See this post for comparisons.

I have a partial schematic trace here.

thanks for your reply Coulomb .this card gives a lot of users a headache....
Reading on various forums many have had the same problem. In the end, it is only an isolated voltage converter (the ground of the output connectors and the ground of the circuit are separated by a capacitor) with a SC510070JDWE chip converter rs 232 usb nowhere to be found. my idea was to use an arduino 1 board without the microcontroller and take advantage of the usb rs 232 converter on board to communicate with the inverter.I have seen it done somewhere to update the pip firmware and if it worked for him why 'not to use it? There are also simpler converters and maybe even optoisolated but currently the card is in my drawer. Why not try?
The only doubt is about the mass of the two circuits (pc and inverter) otherwise why would they have kept them separate on the board?