Kwikot HP-007 Unusable due to LShedding

Mako

Kwikot HP-007 Heat Pump installed in a new built home and they can't use it because it loses it's mind after one or two LS events. The plumber says the battery for the memory fails during long outages and it's on/off schedules get later and later with each LS until is shuts down and needs to be set up again. They have been using heater elements instead in the two series 150L cylinders. 

The plumber wants me to move the Heat Pump onto the essentials to fix this problem but I'd prefer it to stay on the non essentials as due to all that is already on the essentials side. Victron Multi and a ET113 for feeding non essentials.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? 

Sort of. 

I have an older Kwikot unit. The battery is in the remote control unit, and sometimes they go flat. I had to change my remote control because when the power went off it forgot the settings. The replacement unit is fine.

You should consider running it on the essential side. I do that. I run it twice a day - 6 in the morning and then midday. The morning run uses about 1kWh. By midday the battery has charged and I have PV.

Caveat: Only 2 people in the house, and we strictly limit the run time to fit in with sunlight and our routines. Because we have good insulation on the geyser, the water is still hot about 20:00. Also I have 10kWh of battery and we keep the loads very low at night. So at 6:00 there is usually 65 to 60 % left, and after the pump has run that is reduced by about 10%.

Because I have the heat pump on the essential side I ALWAYS get a hot shower in the morning, and the remote control unit doesn't ever lose it's settings.

@Bobster. Thanks, I imagine I will be moving it to essentials then. It also runs a circulation pump 24/7 that keeps the hot water circulating to all of the taps so there are losses there too. No shortage of battery or panels 7200 watts in panels and 14.3 kWh battery. It can be done. The Tannie must just hold back a bit with the tumble dryer in the evenings. 

4 minutes ago, Bobster. said:

Sort of. 

I have an older Kwikot unit.

Also a smaller one, if I'm reading the spec sheets right. Yours is recommended for 450L geysers. My geyser is 200L.

OK.. but it is very easy for an electrician to move the geyser between essential and non-essential. Initially my heat pump wasn't backed up, but I asked an electrician to move it to the essential loads. Then I watched the system for a couple of days, adjusting the timings, and found that in fact my system could shoulder that load and we still had a useful amount of battery left come the early morning. 

So you could try that sort of trial and error method. 

it was easier back when I did this, because then we might have stage 2 for a couple of days. Now we have stage 4 at least every day. So if you run your battery down you could be exposed.

But look at this...

image.png.614daa023de928d97c72748141b0dbed.png
That's my system this morning. The yellow trace is the load, the green is SOC. So we can see it run, get an approximation of how much battery it used by SOC at start - SOC at end, and then try to figure out if your system can take it or not.

I am guessing that you are using the timer. If you're not then the pump will just switch on & off according to temperature, and you don't need to worry about settings.

1 minute ago, Mako said:

@Bobster. Thanks, I imagine I will be moving it to essentials then. It also runs a circulation pump 24/7 that keeps the hot water circulating to all of the taps so there are losses there too. No shortage of battery or panels 7200 watts in panels and 14.3 kWh battery. It can be done. The Tannie must just hold back a bit with the tumble dryer in the evenings. 

Welcome to the solar life. 

Forget about who has what devices in their home. What you will see if you dig around on this forum is that many of us have had to learn to control things a bit so as to get the best use out of our systems. "Move" loads into the daylight hours with timer switches, or just have some discipline about things. In my home, for example, I have a "rule of two" in the kitchen. A kitchen is full of things that use > 1kW, and if you turn too many on at a time then you can overload the inverter. So my rule says that if you have, for example, the microwave AND the kettle on then that's it! You must wait for one of those to finish before you turn on the toaster or whatever awful device has caught your fancy.

We do sometimes use the tumble dryer, but only when there's PV. We don't use hair dryers or soldering irons or run the pool pump after 16:00. Doing things this way also means that we draw very little from the grid after hours and conserve the battery. If I ran the tumble drier at night, we might start drawing from the grid, and that's a painful and disgraceful thing to have to do and a big black mark on one's record.

It's these sorts of adjustments to your routine that enable you to make best use of your system. 

Again, only two adults living in the house, so I didn't have to do a lot of ... let's call it "PR".

The battery is running the single 3 kilowatt element on the primary geyser without problems at night (see dips in the graph) so the heat pump should be fine especially when timed properly. Battery is always full by midday come rain or shine. The home situation there is not easy to describe as it changes with friends that help so random stuff gets switched on and they all talk at the same time 😉 I'm just refining the system for them.

image.png.463ab0dd351e72a0d2ac927102a60d14.png

Your system is probably effectively backing up the heat pump from PV and battery whilst there is grid. So it may not make a big difference. And looking at that graph... 

As I said, it's easy to move between essentials and non-essentials if you have one physical DB. So you can always take a suck it and see approach.

But see my earlier comments. I ALWAYS have hot water in the morning. So that makes life a little more bearable, which is why we have these systems really.

Edited by Bobster.

At night the Victron system draws from the battery on the non essential side so that graph is as if it was on the essentials. Only when the grid is off will there be no draw from the battery on the non essential side. It's a Victron thing.

Edited by Mako

10 minutes ago, Mako said:

At night the Victron system draws from the battery on the non essential side so that graph is as if it was on the essentials. Only when the grid is off will there be no draw from the battery on the non essential side. It's a Victron thing.

My Goodwe does the same. 

I nearly started wondering about settings changing due to LS. My ITS is so old it was before remotes were invented. 😜😜My controller also has a flat battery for years but does not bother as I don't need the timer to be correct. I power my heat pump down and also only give it 220V for 1h mornings and 1h afternoons. 

Lucky to say no settings are lost or changing.