Solar Set up assistance required

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and finding this platform very insightful.

I am looking to install a solar system, I use on average 350 to 400 units of electricity monthly.  Ideally, I am looking to have a backup solution for loadshedding and it will be a bonus to have the panels charge up the battery.

Need to power up the following appliances: 2x fridge/fridges combos, 2 Laptops, 1x55inch TV & Sound Bar, About 15x 5w LED Lights, 1x router and ONT 1x Fan.

What size inverter should I be considering?

Recommend 5kw hybrid inverter. Will be able to easily deal with your current requirement and its expandable. Sunsynk/deye is the flavour of the month. 

Dont forget batterry size plays an important role if you use it as a loadshedding solution. 

How big a battery? Depends how long you want it to power your load during power outages. 

On 2023/03/30 at 2:00 AM, AndrewJdc said:

Recommend 5kw hybrid inverter. Will be able to easily deal with your current requirement and its expandable. Sunsynk/deye is the flavour of the month. 

Dont forget batterry size plays an important role if you use it as a loadshedding solution. 

How big a battery? Depends how long you want it to power your load during power outages. 

Thanks for the response. 

Looking to be covered for those 4.5 hour loadshedding slots.

Eploring the Lux Power 5kva inverter and 5kw Shoto battery option. Anyone running this combination?

Certainly a 5kW inverter and a 5kW battery will take care of you for loadshedding. I'm not going to comment on your battery / inverter choice. It's about budget. Just ensure it is professionally installed and a COC is issued by the installer.

Panels are always nice to have but you can do the sums and will find that economically with your usage, it will take a while to cover the cost of say 8 x 545Wp at around R55k installed.

3 hours ago, AviSA said:

Thanks for the response. 

Looking to be covered for those 4.5 hour loadshedding slots.

Eploring the Lux Power 5kva inverter and 5kw Shoto battery option. Anyone running this combination?

My mother in law is... System working seamlessly with no issues. She also has 7*455w panels 

For your usage, if you're going for the 5kVA Luxpower, I'd suggest around 2.5-3.0kW of panels on the 1st MPPT input. That should get you far, you should be fine most of the time to cover your daily usage. If you later want to, you can consider doubling up with the same size of string on the other MPPT.