Mecer Hybrid Inverter?

Bushtracker

Can anyone confirm that a MECER : SOL-I-AX-8M2 sold as a hybrid inverter is actually a proper hybrid?

I understand that a true hybrid can combine power from solar, mains and batteries to supply its rated output? In so doing the hybrid inverter can export excess solar power to non essential loads? The hybrid also has the ability to export power to the grid - if this is permitted?

Some of the more popular true hybrids on the market in SA I believe are: Victron, Goodwe, Sunsync, Deye 

I would be grateful for comments 

Thank you

3 hours ago, Bushtracker said:

I understand that a true hybrid can combine power from solar, mains and batteries to supply its rated output?

That's not my understanding of the term "hybrid inverter", but there is much confusion about this term.

The MECER : SOL-I-AX-8M2, as well as most if not all Axpert models with the high PV voltage limit (450 V or 500 V), are able to blend the three sources of power when they use the SUB output source priority. It's more or less a hybrid inverter internally, but with export to the grid disabled. So this may suit your needs despite not being a true hybrid inverter (which by my definition is one that can export to the grid and can use and charge a battery). 

1 hour ago, Coulomb said:

That's not my understanding of the term "hybrid inverter", but there is much confusion about this term.

The MECER : SOL-I-AX-8M2, as well as most if not all Axpert models with the high PV voltage limit (450 V or 500 V), are able to blend the three sources of power when they use the SUB output source priority. It's more or less a hybrid inverter internally, but with export to the grid disabled. So this may suit your needs despite not being a true hybrid inverter (which by my definition is one that can export to the grid and can use and charge a battery). 

Thank you for that, I agree there is confusion with the term Hybrid.  Can you define the difference between Hybrid and Bi-directional inverter? 

A friend of mine starting out is looking at The MECER : SOL-I-AX-8M2 that was sold to him as a hybrid and told him I'd try to get clarity from the forum. 

I have a Goodwe 4.6 ES inverter which does indeed export excess solar power to non essential loads if there is extra power coming in and if we wish to use a non essential item eg Airconditioner, stove, etc. If there is not sufficient power available it will of course draw from the batteries or the grid, depending on the Mode settings. 

21 minutes ago, Bushtracker said:

Can you define the difference between Hybrid and Bi-directional inverter? 

Well, a gridtied hybrid  inverter must be a bidirectional inverter.

When the inverter has synced to the grid, a set of relays will tie the grid to the inverter output and the load. Because now there is only one path, and this single path must provide grid charging to battery if needed, or discharge battery / pv power to the load, its got to be  bidirectional by design. 

EDIT : Interestingly, Voltronics has a registered patent of bidirectional inverter topology that is standard in many modern inverter designs. 

Wether they fathered the concept I dont know, but  they have the patent. 

Edited by BritishRacingGreen

31 minutes ago, BritishRacingGreen said:

Well, a gridtied hybrid  inverter must be a bidirectional inverter.

When the inverter has synced to the grid, a set of relays will tie the grid to the inverter output and the load. Because now there is only one path, and this single path must provide grid charging to battery if needed, or discharge battery / pv power to the load, its got to be  bidirectional by design. 

EDIT : Interestingly, Voltronics has a registered patent of bidirectional inverter topology that is standard in many modern inverter designs. 

Wether they fathered the concept I dont know, but  they have the patent. 

Thank you so much, that is clear and I understand.👍