Jump to content

Solar Panel mounting kits for DIY installation


Modina

Recommended Posts

I have my Axpert 24V inverter (MPPT 3KW, 60-400VDC, 450Vmax) running for about 2 months now and need to think of getting some panels.  I am looking at about 4 or 5 panels that would be mounted on a 3 degree pitched north facing IBR roof.  Due to renovation and alterations, a part of the roof will be changed in future.  The modifications will take place a bit further away, but it is a concern and I am still hesitant if I should indeed opt for panels now.  (Renovations will be ongoing for at least another 2 years as I do most of it myself).

Due to the installers overload, I am thinking of installing these panels myself.  Can anyone point me to a supplier (preferably in the Cape) that sells an array of mounting hardware and some general guidelines to the available mounting systems and options to consider.

Also, are there any recommendations as to what panels to buy, assuming availability.  I just got a marketing email from Communica and they are now selling 600W Canadians.  Here is the blurb:
Canadian Solar Panel 600W 34.9V 17.20A OCV:41.3 SCC:18.47A Monocrystalline Module 2261x1134x35mm Weight 27.8kg  @ R 4950

I prefer smaller panels (especially for a self installation) and I would also prefer higher voltage panels.  For instance:
Canadian Solar Panel 450W 41.1V 10.96A OCV:49.1V SCC:11.60A Monocrystalline Module 2108x1048x35mm Weight 24.9kg @ R3623

Any comments or advice on panel selection?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Modina said:

I have my Axpert 24V inverter (MPPT 3KW, 60-400VDC, 450Vmax) running for about 2 months now and need to think of getting some panels.  I am looking at about 4 or 5 panels that would be mounted on a 3 degree pitched north facing IBR roof.  Due to renovation and alterations, a part of the roof will be changed in future.  The modifications will take place a bit further away, but it is a concern and I am still hesitant if I should indeed opt for panels now.  (Renovations will be ongoing for at least another 2 years as I do most of it myself).

Due to the installers overload, I am thinking of installing these panels myself.  Can anyone point me to a supplier (preferably in the Cape) that sells an array of mounting hardware and some general guidelines to the available mounting systems and options to consider.

Also, are there any recommendations as to what panels to buy, assuming availability.  I just got a marketing email from Communica and they are now selling 600W Canadians.  Here is the blurb:
Canadian Solar Panel 600W 34.9V 17.20A OCV:41.3 SCC:18.47A Monocrystalline Module 2261x1134x35mm Weight 27.8kg  @ R 4950

I prefer smaller panels (especially for a self installation) and I would also prefer higher voltage panels.  For instance:
Canadian Solar Panel 450W 41.1V 10.96A OCV:49.1V SCC:11.60A Monocrystalline Module 2108x1048x35mm Weight 24.9kg @ R3623

Any comments or advice on panel selection?

I also don't like the 600W panels due to lower voltage and higher amps. 550W panels have a higher voltage like the 450's

They all around the same size and weight. 

Rubicon sell decent tilt brackets. I put 4 x 550W panels on an IBR Roof that also had a 3 degree slope but I used the tilt brackets to lift them to 22 degrees

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 2023/04/15 at 10:09 AM, Chris_S said:

I also don't like the 600W panels due to lower voltage and higher amps. 550W panels have a higher voltage like the 450's

They all around the same size and weight. 

Rubicon sell decent tilt brackets. I put 4 x 550W panels on an IBR Roof that also had a 3 degree slope but I used the tilt brackets to lift them to 22 degrees

When I had to decide what panels and how, my problem was a 10deg pitch north facing roof. I could spend money on brackets to raise the panels to 26deg or I could rather buy 2 more panels. I bought 2 extra panels and now there are 5 (JA 535w about 49v at 11A  ) per input. Continuously get about 210v dc. If I need to fiddle I can put all on 1 string but currently I generate much more than I can use.

Advantages of flatter panel angles: less chance of wind getting in under them and no place for bird nests. Disadvantages are they run hotter due to lower ventilation and you need more space.

I used P2000 rail screwed into the rafters as base and P2000 as cross members.

Six of the one and half a dozen of the other.

I installed my system alone: to get my 10 panels on the roof, I tied the 2 halfs of my sliding ladder to the edge, bound the dogs blankets and shade netting around the ladders to protect the panels, tied a rope cradle around the panels and pulled them up when there wasn't any wind. I'm quite proud of my handiwork.20220211_153047.thumb.jpg.75f14c3e32d7a7c02751117a3624bfb6.jpg

Edited by Vaal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Vaal said:

When I had to decide what panels and how, my problem was a 10deg pitch north facing roof. I could spend money on brackets to raise the panels to 26deg or I could rather buy 2 more panels. I bought 2 extra panels and now there are 5 (JA 535w about 49v at 11A  ) per input. Continuously get about 210v dc. If I need to fiddle I can put all on 1 string but currently I generate much more than I can use.

Advantages of flatter panel angles: less chance of wind getting in under them and no place for bird nests. Disadvantages are they run hotter due to lower ventilation and you need more space.

I used P2000 rail screwed into the rafters as base and P2000 as cross members.

Six of the one and half a dozen of the other.

I installed my system alone: to get my 10 panels on the roof, I tied the 2 halfs of my sliding ladder to the edge, bound the dogs blankets and shade netting around the ladders to protect the panels, tied a rope cradle around the panels and pulled them up when there wasn't any wind. I'm quite proud of my handiwork.20220211_153047.thumb.jpg.75f14c3e32d7a7c02751117a3624bfb6.jpg

Well done. It's not easy getting those panels up on your own. Good workout. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...