Sunsynk grid trickle

Chris_S

My prepaid meter gives no problems with a 20W grid trickle but I'm cheap so I've been switching my breaker off. 

I've noticed with high switching loads that it fast charges and discharges battery and was thinking that might not be great for the inverter and battery. 

Could I try have the mains breaker on and grid trickle set to 0?

I'm thinking it might use the grid rather for sudden spikes and put less wear on everything else. 

17 minutes ago, Chris_S said:

My prepaid meter gives no problems with a 20W grid trickle but I'm cheap so I've been switching my breaker off. 

I've noticed with high switching loads that it fast charges and discharges battery and was thinking that might not be great for the inverter and battery. 

Could I try have the mains breaker on and grid trickle set to 0?

I'm thinking it might use the grid rather for sudden spikes and put less wear on everything else. 

Yea try it for sure. I know of a few setups with 0w trickle feed including mine with no issues. I am also very cheap yes 😆

2 hours ago, GreenFields said:

Maybe try it out at 10W or even 5W. If the meter trips, just change it. But cycling the battery more just to save half a unit from Eskom per day I think could turn out to be false economy.

When I've had the mains on and a grid trickle I've noticed when PV is strong but I have high switching loads that as the load switches off it will even back feed up to 400W for a few seconds. I don't think the mppt is fast enough so it has a push pull effect on the grid rather. 

But with the mains breaker off I'm worried that this with have extra wear on the inverter and batteries.